With the recent quarterly results can we finally put to death the idea that Americans are somehow suckered into buying other OSes and the rest of the world is red-hot for Blackberry?

The results give you two choices - either sales are poor in every region or you have a couple of hotshot regions with (relatively to overall BB sales) high sales and they are non-existent or dismal everywhere else. It's not the Americans rejecting Blackberry, it's everyone.
    kbz1960, jegs2, 21stNow and 12 others like this.
    09-28-13 04:01 AM
    I've never held the belief that Americans were suckered into iOS or Android, though I do hold the belief that they're suckered into a whole hel1 of a lot of other things...their choice in phone being the least alarming.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 04:10 AM
    Americans buy what they think is the best value for the their money and at the moment it happens to be Apple and Android products.

The Blackberry faithful are quick to forgot that Americans bought Blackberry devices by the millions in the early days and help make them a successful company.

Well that was then and now is here and Apple and Android have delivered what the consumer asked for and Blackberry hasn't, it's just the way it is.

Sent using the CB app from my iPhone 5
    09-28-13 04:52 AM

Well that was then and now is here and Apple and Android have delivered what the consumer asked for and Blackberry hasn't, it's just the way it is.

Just curious, what is it apart from apps that BlackBerry hasn't delivered on that Android and iOS have? If apps are not everything, that is.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 05:02 AM
    Just curious, what is it apart from apps that BlackBerry hasn't delivered on that Android and iOS have? If apps are not everything, that is.

Posted via CB10
    Apps are a MOJOR part of what the consumer has come to expect from any smartphone platform. Apps are what folks now use to perform their daily task with and that's not changing anytime soon. Until Blackberry can at least get their app ecosystem on par with what the competition has, I am sorry to say it's only going to get worse.

Apple did not sell 9 million new 5S devices in the first three days of the launch because the consumers are all fanboys and/or iSheep, they did it because they delivered a product the consumer had asked for, basic business concepts 101. The folks in charge at Blackberry all know this and have been paid allot of money not to see it coming.
    09-28-13 05:54 AM
    It is the app gap. My kids would not even consider BlackBerry because it did not have Candy crus and Instagram

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 06:05 AM
    Also....I think the rebooting, the overheating, bad battery caused many returns. and that pushed the carrier reps to say we are getting a lot of returns don't buy a BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 06:07 AM
    Tora! Tora! Tora!

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 06:22 AM
    Americans buy thing for personal reasons whether it's the latest time wasting game or how cool the phone is. Buying a mobile phone is now bad cultural practice rather than a good tool to make life efficient.

Posted from the most powerful smartphone,z10
    09-28-13 06:24 AM
    Apps are a MOJOR part of what the consumer has come to expect from any smartphone platform. Apps are what folks now use to perform their daily task with and that's not changing anytime soon. Until Blackberry can at least get their app ecosystem on par with what the competition has, I am sorry to say it's only going to get worse.

Apple did not sell 9 million new 5S devices in the first three days of the launch because the consumers are all fanboys and/or iSheep, they did it because they delivered a product the consumer had asked for, basic business concepts 101. The folks in charge at Blackberry all know this and have been paid allot of money not to see it coming.
    So true Ron! Of course, Apple does have a large fan base but that works to their advantage. They buy iPhones and recommend them to their friends. Apple has good self marketing along with the good thing itself.

Also what Apple has is a very solid product. The phone and the ecosystem go hand in hand. People use and rely on apps now and BlackBerry doesn't seem to get that. If a platform doesn't have apps, then someone will easily overlook it and I don't blame them. To a lot of people, apps define what a platform can and cannot do and what it is capable of.

I connect all of the BB10 failure to mainly apps and also the poor marketing. Every time there is news of a new app (no matter what it is), we all go insane. These announcements are few and far between. And THAT is what truly proves to me what a poor selection BlackBerry World has.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 06:31 AM

Posted via CB10
    Software is so critical that it's a disservice to even say "apart from apps". Apart from all the software, what does your computer do that mine doesn't? LOl

So yes, aside from the all the much varied functions of applications, other things BB didn't deliver include:

-stuff on time (6 yrs to get out their touch based operating system...including delays)
    -an ecosystem of other devices
    -strong interoperability between PC's and bb10
    -prompt quick updates of bug-fixes, bigger updates of the OS - properly delivered
    -all the many little features which make ios and android so robust - that comes partly from the maturity of those OS - with a lot of the little things however, it is ghastly that BB missed them, especially considering the delays eg. email restrictions and bugs....alarmS.....lol
    -clear and solid release dates
    -acknowledgment of bugs and problems and transparency about their stance on them (no....admitting you know about it after beleaguered crackberry kevin corners you months later doesn't count)

finally: a stable future...or any future at all

I'm sure I'm missing lots, but anyways, a few quick ones of the top of my head - the big one still remains the apps, and always has been. It's not much better than saying 'aside from the words and pics inside your book, what makes your book better than my blank-pages one?"
    notfanboy, h20work, Etios and 4 others like this.
    09-28-13 06:33 AM
    Americans buy thing for personal reasons whether it's the latest time wasting game or how cool the phone is. Buying a mobile phone is now bad cultural practice rather than a good tool to make life efficient.

And the Z10 is the only "tool" to make people efficient? Give me a break.
    09-28-13 06:34 AM
    agreed that BB does need to up its app (quality, sought after apps and games) selection, but apple and android have had YEARS to build their respective app markets, while BB has introduced a completely new OS. BB will eventually get its feet under itself if it can survive the transition.

just on a side note, I've seen more marketing for Oliver the Jeweler (Torontonians will get this one and if you don't my point has been proven) than BB10. BB's marketing sucks worse than anything.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    russmov likes this.
    09-28-13 06:36 AM

"tools not toys" loll. blackberry dropped the ball and no amount of fan denial can change that
    cwalt2166 likes this.
    09-28-13 06:38 AM

Do you always find the need to be efficient? Do you ever go on holiday? Do you ever listen to music? Do you ever view videos? Do you ever play games? Do you ever send media to a loved one?

Speaking personally, there are several sides of me. Some want efficiency. Other sides of me want entertainment. Yet others want to be able to find what I need via an app or make my life easier through the use of an app that allows the least amount of disruption to my time off. If someone is all about efficiency all the time that person is on his/her way to a heart attack. Time off is a requirement for a well rounded person.
    09-28-13 06:44 AM
    Do you always find the need to be efficient? Do you ever go on holiday? Do you ever listen to music? Do you ever view videos? Do you ever play games? Do you ever send media to a loved one?

Speaking personally, there are several sides of me. Some want efficiency. Other sides of me want entertainment. Yet others want to be able to find what I need via an app or make my life easier through the use of an app that allows the least amount of disruption to my time off. If someone is all about efficiency all the time that person is on his/her way to a heart attack. Time off is a requirement for a well rounded person.
    And can BB10 fulfill all the wants from the non efficient sides? Probably not. Because there aren't the games that people want to play or the apps that people want to use. iOS, Android, and Windows Phone can adapt to all sides. BB10 cannot.

Posted via CB10
    21stNow likes this.
    09-28-13 06:49 AM

Agreed, but the question is can you not be just as efficient using a non BB10 device while enjoying the features that other OS's offer? I know that's the go to saying around here: "BB10 is more efficient" but I would heartily disagree with that statement. Yes BB10 is efficient, but it doesn't MAKE you more efficient than any other platform.
    09-28-13 07:08 AM
    My point is that the efficiency argument is too one dimensional. Regardless of the platform, I can't think of always needing to be efficient nor always needing to be entertained. A device should bridge the gap between work and leisure, whichever the platform.
    09-28-13 07:14 AM
    I was just in a global symposium. There are a lot of folks in the US that have no desire for a smart phone. Those that do are mainly younger and are going to go with "cool" and impulse buying over thinking through the long term of the purchase.
    Our facility in Singapore has folks using personal phones for work related surveys. If I attempted that in the US i would be hung out to dry, besides the fact that not all carriers work in our building in the first place.
    Anubhav Nagpal likes this.
    09-28-13 07:22 AM
    I'm a conference call facilitator and my job doesn't require me to be constantly connected when not at work. I'm fortunate that my work and home lives are very separate. However, I still require a device that allows me to be efficient and productive when managing my household, finances, hobbies, travels, and communication with friends and family. For me, apps are essential. The apps I use turn into an extension of my device's capabilities in how they interact with one another. The ease of navigating the OS to complete multiple tasks in succession is important as well. I don't play games on my device because they're time wasters and battery drainers.

No matter what platform I'm using, my requirements don't change. When I was on BB10 I spent a bit of money on apps to replace the functionality I had on Android that I got for free, and it still didn't live up to my expectations. I felt that I was constantly having to cut corners and eventually I had to admit to myself that it wasn't the experience I was after.

Does everyone else have the same requirements I have from a mobile device? Of course not. What's important is that people find the device that works for them no matter what platform it's on. It disappoints me that so many people are more into what brand their device is and fighting over their choice than recognising that other platforms have strengths that work for others' needs as well.
    09-28-13 07:37 AM
    Americans buy what they think is the best value for the their money and at the moment it happens to be Apple and Android products.

The Blackberry faithful are quick to forgot that Americans bought Blackberry devices by the millions in the early days and help make them a successful company.

And here it is now again and blackberry delivered and brand new os that does what the consumer asked for except apps from companies not willing to work with them. The os is great but the ***** companies have to wake up and develop for them.

Posted via CB10
    Anubhav Nagpal likes this.
    09-28-13 07:37 AM
    I still say the American release was a train wreck from all directions. The BlackBerry hate in the US was underestimated and the US stock market shorts piled on. Carriers not fully on board and the reboot issue a killer. There are enough threads about the terrible marketing and PR.That being said, I believe if there had been any traction in the US, it would have helped sales in other countries. Instead, what the wait and see crowd saw was a lot of negativity.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 featuring BBM Channel C0002FE04
    kbz1960 and world saviour like this.
    09-28-13 07:46 AM
    Americans are just more brand conscience and app hungry than the rest of the world. Nothing you can do about that. What really killed BB in america is the american media and their intense hate for BB. Its the in thing in america to have your whole life posted on the www. You wont understand if you live outside america. INSTAGRAM!!!!!!!
    09-28-13 07:46 AM
    And here it is now again and blackberry delivered and brand new os that does what the consumer asked for except apps from companies not willing to work with them. The os is great but the ***** companies have to wake up and develop for them.

Posted via CB10
    But the problem is that Blackberry is 5-6 years late to the party. The smartphone market is for the most part already saturated and dominant ecosystems have already been established. You don't see Sony, HP, Dell, etc try to create a competitor to OSX or Windows. One of them could build the greatest operating system ever and provide everything that the consumer asked for but it would still fail. I don't see why the smartphone market would be different. Why should companies "wake up and develop" for Blackberry and spend what they feel is unnecessary resources when Android and iOS is already established and they know that those two make up the overwhelming majority of smartphone users.
    09-28-13 07:51 AM
    It is a combination of issues that has caused this problem for Blackberry. Apps is a huge one. I personally have all the apps I need and find BB10 to be the most efficient OS of any platform available. I do realize that there are apps out there that others demand that are not available on BB10 at this time. this is a driving factor for a lot of people.

Another issue is the bad press, some of it justified, most of it wasn't tbh. That is also a factor.

Also Sales reps that have their own bias rather than analyzing the customers needs and ignorance regarding capabilities of competing products and blackberries marketing leaves much to be desired.

I personally am way more efficient using BB10 than any of the other platforms in both business and personal use so I will stick to it. This is not all blackberries fault, it is an unfortunate combination of issues that have yielded these results. Hopefully it will work out long term. I will continue to use the Z10 as it works extremely well for me. And by the way, I am employed by one of the competitors.
    09-28-13 08:00 AM
217 123 ...