Does anyone know if the Amazon and BlackBerry licensing agreement means that push notifications will now work for Amazon Android apps, like The Score?

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 10:16 PM
    Sometimes I get push notifications from apps I downloaded from the Amazon Appstore such as Candy Crush ("You now have full lives")
    Does anyone know if the Amazon and BlackBerry licensing agreement means that push notifications will now work for Amazon Android apps, like The Score?

Posted via CB10
    06-19-14 01:09 AM
    This is a good question, theoretically push notifications should work since apps in the Amazon Store do not rely on Google services to push the notifications, so, if you don't receive them, I'd blame the development to the Android Runtime.
    06-19-14 01:51 AM
    I believe it should since it now has a legit backing.
    06-19-14 02:55 AM
    it all depends on the app I say because I have 2 apps from the google play store and I get notifications all the time.
    06-19-14 07:16 AM
    I downloaded the Eurosport App from the Amazon AppStore but I don't get any push notifications even if I setup the alerts inside the app.

Am I the only one with this problem or Android Push Notifications just don't work on the Blackberry even if you download it from the Amazon AppStore?
    06-23-14 07:07 AM
    I downloaded the Eurosport App from the Amazon AppStore but I don't get any push notifications even if I setup the alerts inside the app.

Am I the only one with this problem or Android Push Notifications just don't work on the Blackberry even if you download it from the Amazon AppStore?
    It doesnt work with the current runtime. I seriously hope that BlackBerry is able to receive push notifications when 10.3 launches.

Black cards, Black cars - All BlackBerry-thing!
    rramnel likes this.
    06-23-14 07:09 AM
    It doesnt work with the current runtime. I seriously hope that BlackBerry is able to receive push notifications when 10.3 launches.

Black cards, Black cars - All BlackBerry-thing!
    Push notifications do work, just for certain apps. The apps I currently get notifications for are

gReader
    UberSocial
    Words With Friends
    Viggle

Those are all android ports either from Google Play or Amazon store.
    06-23-14 07:17 AM
    Some push notifications should work, depends on how they're implemented though.

However, what many people here are describing as "push" notifications are actually just local notifications sent from the app on a timer. The candy crush example above is one where the notification was not a push but rather just a local notification.

Push notifications are sent from an external server and invoke their specific app on your device, even while it's not running (not even headless). There is limited support for these types of notifications in the runtime.

Creating Push-enabled Android apps - Runtime for Android apps - BlackBerry Developer
    06-23-14 02:04 PM
    Hopefully the folks on the BB side are making sure that the 10.3 runtime works well with Amazon Device Messaging which is used for apps running on Amazon devices to minimize these issues.
    06-23-14 02:19 PM
    I feel confident that these problems with notifications will be solved for the most part (if not entirely) by the time 10.3 hits, otherwise this might be a huge failure since part of being connected is to receive notifications on time.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 02:59 PM
    I always had a feeling hardly any Android apps truly use push notifications (app 0% active, notification still show up), and instead rely on some form of periodic background checks. In terms of BB10 that would be more like short-running headless...

Of course I could be wrong, but afaik all Android apps that give me notifications in the Hub are always 'active' in the Device Manager at the time I receive them.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    06-23-14 03:07 PM
    This is the single biggest problem I have with the apps. 10.3 hopefully addresses this because once this is publicly released as a thing it better be flawless or there will be severe bashing to be had. Not by me I'm already hooked like crack.

Q10, Q5, Z30... Damn I love leaks too much!
    06-23-14 03:21 PM
    Will Google changing the runtime like stated on this article http://mobilesyrup.com/2014/06/21/go...droid-version/ be a problem for BlackBerry?

Frosty White Q10/10.2.1.3175 CB10'n
    06-24-14 10:21 AM
    Some apps give notifications while it's open like songza, or when an android app is open like the Simpsons tapped out

Posted via CB10
    06-24-14 10:27 AM
    Will Google changing the runtime like stated on this article Google replacing Dalvik runtime with ART in next Android version | MobileSyrup.com be a problem for BlackBerry?

Frosty White Q10/10.2.1.3175 CB10'n
    No the runtime won't change for older Android devices (pre-KitKat) so apps will still have to be backwards compatible.
    jope28 likes this.
    06-24-14 12:23 PM
    Has anyone tested if push notifications for android apps work on the leaked 10.3 software? I am quite curios to know
    06-27-14 06:49 AM
    Well since the amazon store app will be native, i suppose there will be notifications as well
    06-27-14 06:51 AM
    Over the weekend I loaded 10.3.0.700 on my Q10 and noticed that push notifications don't work. (I tried it for Twitter from the Amazon AppStore)

Unfortunately, only local notifications work.
    07-14-14 04:27 AM