Interesting timing on the announcement... just before the quarterly reporting tomorrow... either really good news... or a bad omen for stock holders... should be interesting.... overall great move for BB.... best oif both worlds.. great apps albiet non native... and security and greatest OS out ther IMHO....

Just hope that stock holders do not try and load many apps from the Amazon store. 5 of the 5 I just tried installing failed to function and crashed during startup. I have no vested interest and I am having a bad time with it. Could you imagine how a stock holder would feel that BB is saying that they can run the apps and have a fair percentage fail to function.
    bbq10l likes this.
    06-18-14 08:32 AM
    Called this one, ok so I was one of the many that called it.

Amazon wants to legitimize their app store for phones, especially with their smartphone coming out today. Before they even launch their phone they can say their app store is offically supported on millions on handsets.
    06-18-14 08:33 AM
    Let's be real though, WHAT native apps? Native app development on any serious level stopped a looong time ago.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly. They knew this decision would kill native, but since it's mostly dead anyway, it wasn't much of a sacrifice.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-18-14 08:35 AM
    Anyone know why amazon store doesn't have instagram or snap chat?

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 08:35 AM
    So what about apps need Google play service?

CB10 - Q5 -10.3.0.296/441 (radio)
    Presumably those apps won't be available. Since Amazon itself runs a fork of Android and doesn't qualify for the Google Play store, they wouldn't have them in the first place.
    Elite1 likes this.
    06-18-14 08:57 AM
    In my opinion, this is a mistake. Blackberry would have been far better served identifying a dozen or so critical android apps and incentivizing their developers to bring them to BlackBerry World.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 09:09 AM
    In my opinion, this is a mistake. Blackberry would have been far better served identifying a dozen or so critical android apps and incentivizing their developers to bring them to BlackBerry World.

Posted via CB10
    Im pretty sure they tried.

Signature - Google wants your info. What are you gonna do about it?
    06-18-14 09:17 AM

Posted via CB10
    Ya, especially since some of the big names will STILL be missing even with the Amazon store.

I don't think it's a mistake though, I think it's another move of desperation. I just hope that when the details come out, that the concessions that they've had to make aren't extreme.
    JeepBB and johnm137 like this.
    06-18-14 09:20 AM
    Apps submitted to Amazon store are stripped off of Google play services requirement.

Posted via CB10 using my Gorgeous Z30
    More accurately, apps that need the Google Play Services to function properly simply aren't available in the Amazon store.
    06-18-14 09:35 AM
    Seems smart to me. Amazon are bringing out their own phone soon, and can say straight away to the big name app developers that they already have a market of several million people before they even sell a single phone of their own.
    lets see if a few of the apps that are currently missing on Amazon App store start to appear...
    06-18-14 09:37 AM
    Seems smart to me. Amazon are bringing out their own phone soon, and can say straight away to the big name app developers that they already have a market of several million people before they even sell a single phone of their own.
    lets see if a few of the apps that are currently missing on Amazon App store start to appear...
    Sorry, just realised its BB10 only. Couple of million.
    06-18-14 09:39 AM
    BlackBerry World will eventually be BlackBerry Software. Less focus on apps and more focus on programs.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 09:39 AM
    This is not just for apps, but other content like music and movies.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    That's even better.

Posted via CB10
    SteelGreek likes this.
    06-18-14 09:40 AM
    If nothing else, this also allows BlackBerry to really have a media store on par with, or better than, Apple and Google which could also help drive adoption.
    False and False. If you think for a second that a BlackBerry with Amazon App Store access is "on par" or "better than" an Andoird with Google Play or an iPhone with App Store.... well, that's just delusional.

This is merely better than BB's current situation of App World and sideloading Snap. That is it. Nothing more.
    TgeekB, bbq10l, JeepBB and 1 others like this.
    06-18-14 09:41 AM
    False and False. If you think for a second that a BlackBerry with Amazon App Store access is "on par" or "better than" an Andoird with Google Play or an iPhone with App Store.... well, that's just delusional.

This is merely better than BB's current situation of App World and sideloading Snap. That is it. Nothing more.
    I'm pretty sure he is talking about media content and not apps.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 11:06 AM
    Probably their best move - hopefully it plays out well!
    Bye bye BBW.
    06-18-14 11:41 AM
    It's a good move, and shows some real business sense.

As for native app development, I think in the long run this will be good for it. At the moment, native BB10 app development is just about at a standstill anyway. You can't get much worse than that. Don't get me wrong, there are some excellent native apps in BB World but the overall pace of development is glacial, and that's just not good enough to enable BB10 to survive.

We've had so many threads about this, but the reality is that BB10 is so far a failure as a commercially viable app platform. That's the fact that we have to accept. Amazon's app store isn't as successful as Google Play, of course, but it's miles ahead of BB World. Moreover, it has name recognition. Consumers can readily understand the premise that they can use the Amazon app store. It's a legitimate selling point, in a way that sideloading and Snap can never be.

In short, this partnership ought to help to make BlackBerry more attractive in the consumer market. Notice I said "more attractive" and not "unbeatable" or anything like that. But "more attractive" could be enough to enable them to reverse their decline and start to build a user base, albeit slowly. And if that happens, at some point developers will take an interest in native BB10. If there's a significant user base to attract, they'll see that native BB10 apps will have a competitive edge. But that's not going to happen until that user base is there.

It's iffy, but iffy is better than nothing. The devices still have to be appealing and reasonably priced, of course. The Amazon app store isn't going to solve all problems. Still, I regard this partnership as the best news to come from BlackBerry in a while.

How does Amazon benefit? Simple: Amazon's core business is selling content: books, music, video. This partnership attracts more customers to their content sales, and that's good for Amazon.
    Thank you and well said. This is short term. Long term if device sales increase then native apps will come.
    06-18-14 11:50 AM
    Amazon is in the cost throat tablet market to sell their services. So I can see them willing to make a deal ,they can make money by getting a few million more customers without having to take a loss on hardware .They are competing with Google for service market share not phones and tablets.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 12:03 PM
    Amazon is in the cost throat tablet market to sell their services. So I can see them willing to make a deal ,they can make money by getting a few million more customers without having to take a loss on hardware .They are competing with Google for service market share not phones and tablets.

Posted via CB10
    For me though, this changes nothing. It would be more awesome if BB announced the conversion of the top 100 ios/Android and Windows phone apps into BB10 apps
    06-18-14 12:18 PM
    Im pretty sure they tried.
    I think we can be certain they tried. Didn't they offer to send engineers to help develop Instagram for BB10? Or was that NetFlix, I don't remember.

Windows Phone currently has a larger user base than BB10, and Microsoft certainly has more money to throw around, but that platform is still struggling to get some of the leading Android/iOS apps on board. I think BlackBerry has taken this very seriously from day one with BB10, but they don't have super secret magic powers. If developers don't want to bother with BB10, that's the end of it. At least they had enough foresight to bake the Android runtime in from the start, as a safety net.

This partnership with Amazon also helps to stimulate interest in the Amazon app market itself. Developers can see that by building apps for the Amazon store they are in effect developing for two platforms at once. Neither platform is huge, but it's still more attractive than what it was before.
    06-18-14 12:43 PM
    Thank God for Snap. There are many apps that are not on Amazon even though they do not require services.

Posted via CB10
    gebco likes this.
    06-18-14 04:16 PM
    this is a down the middle kind of news......I will reserve judgement until I see how it goes.....
    06-18-14 04:26 PM
    "Official " doesn't mean Native. Could be an Android port. But then again it's coming with 10.3 which is around November-ish, that's a good amount of time to get a Native app. I'm getting a Windemere when it releases, but if I find that for those 5 months Amazon Devs sat on their asses and released an Android port....I'm going to punch my jerk cat in the face.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 04:43 PM
    One thing for sure. Amazon app store will be getting a bunch of top apps soon.

Party because of BlackBerry 10 but mainly because of their new fire phone.

This leads to another question. Will apps built for fire phone work with BB10?

Dont forget fire phone has a 3D display and all sorts of "unique" features.

I also think they should invite microsoft's Nokia X into the ecosystem party.

One unified app store for 3 ecosystems would stand a chance against apple and google.

Signature - Google wants your info. What are you gonna do about it?
    Last edited by Q10Nutter; 06-18-14 at 05:30 PM.
    06-18-14 04:52 PM
    Thank God for Snap. There are many apps that are not on Amazon even though they do not require services.

Posted via CB10
    this. I have Snap and Amazon on my phone. I searched for several apps on Amazon that I got through Snap. Many were not on Amazon. I'll continue to use both.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 05:40 PM
83 1234