Here is a story that seriously touched my heart as a crackberry addict and I hope it does for you. Everything in this story is true.

For my second job I provide recreational therapy for senior citizen residents at a senior health center (a nursing home). Yesterday I was filing paperwork and one of the new elderly gentlemen wheeled himself up to me and immediately spotted my blackberry sitting next to my paperwork. His eyes lit up and he asked if that indeed was a blackberry. I smiled and responded yes. I was assuming he was going to tell me about his son's or daughter's technology that drives him nuts and that he could never figure that stuff out. However, the man's eyes lit up and he asked if I had a laptop because he was trying to convince his son to bring his computer in but his son had not yet brung it in. I asked why he needed a computer and if he needed to email someone he was more than welcome to use my laptop. He then smiled and asked if i had an 8830 WE. I was shocked and taken back and I very immediately responded with "yes sir i do." He then proceeded to ask me something that totally blew me out of the water. He asked me what OS system I was running. This man is 92 years old and he is a crackberry addict. I was shocked and completely amazed. I responded with 4.5 and he asked if I could help him put 4.5 on his because he wanted to watch the youtube videos of his family but he couldnt afford to pay for high speed internet at our facility because medicare didnt cover it. I almost fell out of my rolly chair. I then ran to my car and grabbed my dell. I plugged his blackberry in and we spent the next 2 hours updating his OS from 4.2 to 4.5.0.51. He was one of the nicest and most gracious residents I have encountered. We successfully updated his OS and fixed an email problem he was having. (battery pull and resending service books always helps)

This resident now can watch his family on his blackberry and still respond to family and friends email.

I hope this story shocks and touches your heart as much as I did. There is nothing better than a 92 year old crackberry addict.
    08-10-08 11:49 AM
    Awesome story! Hope I can still be BlackBerrying at 92.
    08-10-08 11:54 AM
    You're never too old to have fun!
    Can he pop a wheelie in his chair?
    08-10-08 11:54 AM
    WOW! That is adorable! And so nice of you to help him out--you're his crackberry angel lol
    08-10-08 11:55 AM
    wow thankyou very much for sharing i was kind of having a gloomy day but that cheered me up and brightened my day!!!
    08-10-08 11:58 AM
    what a great story. my grandpa wants a blackberry now becasue my mom dad me, and both of my aunts have blackberry's.
    08-10-08 12:03 PM
    That is amazing at 92! You should probably ask him what he did before he retired, and you'll get another cool story.

BTW, you would have fixed his email prob by just resending the service books.
    08-10-08 12:04 PM
    Awesome story! Hope I can still be BlackBerrying at 92.
    Same here! That is amazing...
    08-10-08 12:15 PM
    That's great you helped him out

I worked at a nursing home for 5 years during college. By far the most rewarding work I've ever done.

It would be great to pull some money together and buy him a laptop. Then show him how to tether (if possible with a 8830).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-08 12:19 PM
    Awww that's too awesome!

I'd show this to anyone who says "I'm too old to learn how to use technology."
    08-10-08 12:22 PM
    what an amazing story. it really touched my heart. i'm shocked! i never thought that a man at 92 would be using a blackberry.
    08-10-08 12:24 PM
    Wow that's amazing! Kudos to that old man for not letting age get the better of him and you for helping him out!

08-10-08 12:29 PM
    I hope you gave him this website address.....
    08-10-08 12:31 PM
    WOW!!! Thank you so much for sharing your awesome story. I'm not sure who I am more impressed with, the 92 year old gentleman that not only knows about computer's and blackberry's but who knows how to use them. And for a bonus he knows about you tube. Or you who took the time and patience to help him keep in touch with his family. It takes a special person to work with the elderly, and there are not many young people who are willing to do this. Also you both share a special bond now, and I have a feeling that this will be somthing that you both will remember for the rest of your lives.

Teri
    08-10-08 12:31 PM
    That's great you helped him out

I worked at a nursing home for 5 years during college. By far the most rewarding work I've ever done.

It would be great to pull some money together and buy him a laptop. Then show him how to tether (if possible with a 8830).

Red thats a wonderful idea. Too many times, the elderly are left alone. People tend to take for granted that at one time they had thriving lives too & that shouldnt stop because they're in nursing homes.

I was touched by "his eyes lit up" & angered that his son still hasnt gotten the laptop to him.... thats a shame.
    08-10-08 12:33 PM
    Red thats a wonderful idea. Too many times, the elderly are left alone. People tend to take for granted that at one time they had thriving lives too & that shouldnt stop because they're in nursing homes.

I was touched by "his eyes lit up" & angered that his son still hasnt gotten the laptop to him.... thats a shame.

I agree with you. I hate when people put their parents in nursing homes and then just leave them there.

I'm glad he is a crackberry addict. If I could afford it I'd pay for that guy to have internet so he can get on here.
    08-10-08 01:10 PM
    I know a 90 years old, young guy, who can give lectures on PC and now has a BB. He's only complaing is that he has "compatibility problems between his BB and his modified OS that now runs arthritis 1.0."
    08-10-08 01:23 PM
    That's awesome! Thanks for sharing!
    08-10-08 01:27 PM
    I think people need to do for the elderly what makes them happy. I mean, sure, there are those that need others to make decisions for them; but there is just as many who do fine w/O someone holding their hands.
    08-10-08 01:27 PM
    Awesome story! And you are a great person for helping him out!

08-10-08 01:29 PM
    thanks!

he truly is an amazing person
    08-10-08 01:30 PM
    I love to talk to the not so young people... they are the old days' Internet. You can find a lot of useful information in them. It just matter of sitting down and open your input connection. ..and it is free!!!
    08-10-08 01:39 PM
    It trouly touched me! What a nice story!
    It was really nice of you helping out that men
    08-10-08 02:18 PM
    Awesome story, Rim should use him in an advertisement. YOU NEVER GROW OLD USING A BLACKBERRY.

08-10-08 02:26 PM
    Great story -
    How cool is that guy?!?
    and kudos to you for taking your time to help a fellow addict
    08-10-08 03:26 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD