Does anyone know of a mobile speed test website to where we can prove this?
    I do, and have already proven it. This is the speed test program SpeedTest Your BlackBerry Upload & Download Speeds Free | BerryReview.com �

and when i speed test from insdie my house, it even tells me I just did a speed test from a wifi connection, as opposed to running the same speed test out and about in my car, where there is no line item at the end of the test about wifi.

Sorry RicanMedic, you are incorrect here sir.
    02-12-10 02:47 PM
    Does anyone know of a mobile speed test website to where we can prove this?
    I do, and have already proven it. This is the speed test program SpeedTest Your BlackBerry Upload & Download Speeds Free | BerryReview.com �

and when i speed test from insdie my house, it even tells me I just did a speed test from a wifi connection, as opposed to running the same speed test out and about in my car, where there is no line item at the end of the test about wifi.

oooooooooohhhhh....snap.
    02-12-10 02:56 PM
    Please stop w/ personal attacks.... Final warning...
    02-12-10 03:05 PM
    Please stop w/ personal attacks.... Final warning...
    Sorry if that was partially directed at me. My final sentence on my reply might have come off a bit brash.

However, guys, it is true the wifi on the S2 is used more requently than just during a phone call or when the 3G network is powered off. The wifi overrides the 3G for data whenever the grayed out wifi logo goes to white (and yes, also when you see it in the corner of the screen when browsing, etc).
    02-12-10 03:15 PM
    Sorry if that was partially directed at me.

Pretty sure he's directing it at me.

Although I had no intentions of personal attacks when I came onto this thread. I was just reacting to ZXmustang.
    02-12-10 03:18 PM
    Pretty sure he's directing it at me.

Although I had no intentions of personal attacks when I came onto this thread. I was just reacting to ZXmustang.
    Haha I just caught the difference in you two guys' usernames too. Although the Z06 Corvettes are top notch, I am a Ford guy myself I must admit!
    02-12-10 03:23 PM
    The reason your able to surf the net through wifi and talk on the phone is because the network cuts off for the phone call, initiating wifi to be the backup for data services. But it only defaults to it after the network is shut off. At the end of the day. VZW's network is prefered and there's no way to change that
    I must disagree. Any berry with OS 4.6XX and up will show when it is connected to the WiFi network by listing the name. You can then use 3rd party browsers through the WiFi connection. When the WiFi icon turns from grey to white, then your phone has connected to BIS through the WiFi and all berry data will run through the WiFi at that point.

Who ever mentioned about the 30 day return policy, yep, I did that! Much prefer my 9700 over the Storm2!
    02-12-10 03:32 PM
    I must disagree. Any berry with OS 4.6XX and up will show when it is connected to the WiFi network by listing the name. You can then use 3rd party browsers through the WiFi connection. When the WiFi icon turns from grey to white, then your phone has connected to BIS through the WiFi and all berry data will run through the WiFi at that point.

Who ever mentioned about the 30 day return policy, yep, I did that! Much prefer my 9700 over the Storm2!
    "Much prefer my 9700 over the Storm2! "

Awe c'mon man! Show us Storm2ers some love over here!!! hahahah
    02-12-10 03:35 PM
    Haha I just caught the difference in you two guys' usernames too. Although the Z06 Corvettes are top notch, I am a Ford guy myself I must admit!

Hahahahaha. That's funny, Chevy vs Ford guys always going at it.
    02-12-10 03:37 PM
    where do i find manage connections ...and network preferences
    please guys
    02-12-10 03:37 PM
    your all wrong. When the wifi icon is lit and there is still an active 3g connection, it will default to the 3g. Only time wifi works is when the network is cut (e.g. either a bad signal area, on a phone call, or if you manually shut the network off)

on Verizon and the storm 2, wifi was designed only as a backup
    this is completely false

The reason your able to surf the net through wifi and talk on the phone is because the network cuts off for the phone call, initiating wifi to be the backup for data services. But it only defaults to it after the network is shut off. At the end of the day. VZW's network is prefered and there's no way to change that
    this is completely false

i really love how you tell us we are all wrong when in fact you my friend have no clue WTF you are talking about. Dont make up ****. you will look like an idiot like you do now.

WIFI will work and will have the PREFERENCE over 3G when connected and working properly. It should connect and the WIFI icon will stay lit white/black and not grey.

If you WIFI connection is bad it might keep cutting in and out and thus rely on the 3G connection but 3G is the BACKUP if wifi is on if you have it set correclty in apps/router and such.

I really was hoping to come into this thread and see everyone actually understand how it works but it always seems that people are handing out bad info. Please stop!
    02-12-10 04:57 PM
    where do i find manage connections ...and network preferences
    please guys
    its a hotspot on the home page and also an icon
    02-12-10 05:01 PM
    We need a clapping icon...howarmat...sometimes I think you are a bit impatient, however you DO seem to always be right. I respect the information you share and thank you.
    02-12-10 05:32 PM
    We need a clapping icon...howarmat...sometimes I think you are a bit impatient, however you DO seem to always be right. I respect the information you share and thank you.
    Hey he is just correcting some misinformation.
    02-12-10 06:13 PM
    this is completely false

this is completely false

i really love how you tell us we are all wrong when in fact you my friend have no clue WTF you are talking about. Dont make up ****. you will look like an idiot like you do now.

WIFI will work and will have the PREFERENCE over 3G when connected and working properly. It should connect and the WIFI icon will stay lit white/black and not grey.

If you WIFI connection is bad it might keep cutting in and out and thus rely on the 3G connection but 3G is the BACKUP if wifi is on if you have it set correclty in apps/router and such.

I really was hoping to come into this thread and see everyone actually understand how it works but it always seems that people are handing out bad info. Please stop!
    you are incorrect! And you should know better since you surf this forum often. I have not only confirmed it with tech support, but the topic has been explored numerous times as well with the same conclusion. 3g is prefered over wifi. If you turn your network off manually and let wifi stay lit, you will see the major difference in connection speed. Leave 3g and wifi both on and it will just run at the typical speed you are used to.

I'm not doubting your belief that what you say is right, but dont denounce what I say with absolute fact, and then just offer an opinion like anyone else. If you have info to the contrary, by all means share it.... but add some basis or details to it rather than just saying I am wrong and "what is" (in your view)

I will test this again as I am within a solid hotspot and will report back...
    02-12-10 06:23 PM
    Tried it myself. WIFI as a standalone worked faster for me than WIFI with 3g both on. Try it yourselfs. I'd post a youtube demo of it if I had the chance to do it... But these are my results
    02-12-10 06:36 PM
    3G only, wifi off

wifi only, 3Goff

both 3G and wifi on
    02-12-10 06:51 PM
    hmm....looks like it defaulted to wifi to me reguardless of the setup
    02-12-10 07:03 PM
    wow....thanks
    02-12-10 08:22 PM
    I decided to enable WiFi for the first time on my Storm2 after reading this thread. So if I'm understanding this when WiFi is enabled as well as 3G, the connection will default to WiFi (this seem to confirm what is happening on mine.)

I remember reading in another thread that you should disable WiFi while downloading an app.

Is that right?

TIA
    02-12-10 11:25 PM
    I decided to enable WiFi for the first time on my Storm2 after reading this thread. So if I'm understanding this when WiFi is enabled as well as 3G, the connection will default to WiFi (this seem to confirm what is happening on mine.)

I remember reading in another thread that you should disable WiFi while downloading an app.

Is that right?

TIA
    No way dude. Apps download WAAAYY faster when using wifi.
    02-12-10 11:26 PM
    No way dude. Apps download WAAAYY faster when using wifi.
    Tks Bro.

Good Luck
    02-12-10 11:32 PM
    Hi friends,

I'm new in this forum and it is my first message. Please be patient if i ask so simple (maybe stupid for pros).
    I don't live in USA, so i don't know how it works contrats.
    I live in France. There is 2 provider. One of them offer 3G illimite, another one 3G+wifi illimite. Of course 3G+Wifi is more expensive.

1) I want to know, only 3g connection is logical to use with BB?
    2) Should i pay a bit more to get 3g+wifi to get best internet connection everywhere?
    Thanks for your ideas, it will help me so much.

Note: for BB 9700
    03-04-10 03:01 PM
    can't you help me? thanks all the same.
    03-05-10 08:20 AM
    you know the difference between the two???
    03-05-10 08:21 AM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD