How do i know which one im on? If im at home and wifi is hook up and so is 3G which one am i using?
    02-12-10 06:17 AM
    Data should be WIFI and phone 3G.
    02-12-10 06:25 AM
    You have to go to network preferences and select wifi as the 'preference', and only to use data when wifi is unavailable. But then - wifi is your data.
    02-12-10 06:45 AM
    It will have the WiFi symbol where the signal strength is shown on your screen when you are using WiFi. If not the bars will be there.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-12-10 06:46 AM
    You have to go to network preferences and select wifi as the 'preference', and only to use data when wifi is unavailable. But then - wifi is your data.
    What menu is that under, I dont see it?
    02-12-10 07:16 AM
    your all wrong. When the wifi icon is lit and there is still an active 3g connection, it will default to the 3g. Only time wifi works is when the network is cut (e.g. either a bad signal area, on a phone call, or if you manually shut the network off)

on Verizon and the storm 2, wifi was designed only as a backup
    02-12-10 07:29 AM
    How do i know which one im on? If im at home and wifi is hook up and so is 3G which one am i using?
    Check your manage connections and it will tell you what is really going on
    02-12-10 07:34 AM
    Check your manage connections and it will tell you what is really going on
    it will not. When wifi is active and connected, both the network and wifi will be checked in green. At this point, it will always default to verizons network unless that connection is compromised for the reasons listed above
    02-12-10 07:38 AM
    it will not. When wifi is active and connected, both the network and wifi will be checked in green. At this point, it will always default to verizons network unless that connection is compromised for the reasons listed above
    It really will. Check services status under manage connections. You can't just go by the green marks they only confirm that the connections are live. Service status tells you what you are using network or wifi and for what bis and/or data.
    02-12-10 07:43 AM
    Hm I was wrong indeed. I know on my previous blackberries I could set priorities between wifi and radio, but can't find it in this case. Thanks RicanMedic78 for clearing that one up - sorry OP!
    02-12-10 07:43 AM
    Hm I was wrong indeed. I know on my previous blackberries I could set priorities between wifi and radio, but can't find it in this case. Thanks RicanMedic78 for clearing that one up - sorry OP!
    no sweat. Its been discussed before. download/upload speed appeared the same with wifi or 3g and that was the reason. Turn the network off, get the wifi icon lit up with a strong signal, and you will see a difference in speed. Leave 3g on and you will get nothing different
    02-12-10 07:53 AM
    no sweat. Its been discussed before. download/upload speed appeared the same with wifi or 3g and that was the reason. Turn the network off, get the wifi icon lit up with a strong signal, and you will see a difference in speed. Leave 3g on and you will get nothing different
    Another reason why I HATE this phone. Its pointless to have Wifi if the phone will not use it. If I disable the 3G then nobody can call me? WTF!>? Stupid Rim.
    02-12-10 10:19 AM
    How sure are you of that? When I am on the net using wifi the WHITE wifi box will be in the corner. If I do not have wifi then the 3G with the berry symbol will be lit. The reason I know I AM SURELY, 100% connected to wifi when the wifi symbol is showing in the corner is that my downloads are MUCH faster. Another reason I am sure that I am using wifi is that I can make a call and browse at the same time, which is something that is not available while on Verizon's network.
    02-12-10 10:27 AM
    Another reason why I HATE this phone. Its pointless to have Wifi if the phone will not use it. If I disable the 3G then nobody can call me? WTF!>? Stupid Rim.

Why do you have the phone if you HATE it? When you are browsing and see the white wifi logo in the corner that means you are on wifi, not 3G.
    02-12-10 10:28 AM
    Why do you have the phone if you HATE it? When you are browsing and see the white wifi logo in the corner that means you are on wifi, not 3G.
    Ever heard of "contracts"? That sir was a stupid question. Also knowing that the S2 is so new, one would gather that Im still pretty early in my contract and I dont want to spend the money to get out of it. Think before you type.

02-12-10 10:32 AM
    Ever heard of "contracts"? That sir was a stupid question. Also knowing that the S2 is so new, one would gather that Im still pretty early in my contract and I dont want to spend the money to get out of it. Think before you type.

You sir are the one with the with the stupid reply.

You said another reason you hate the phone is because it's pointless to have wifi if you can't use it. I just showed you that it is possible to use it. Show me where I was wrong. You are the one who needs to think before he types.
    02-12-10 10:36 AM
    You asked why do I have it if I hate it. I didnt hate it before I bought it, and now after having it for a few months I KNOW I hate it. And how can I get rid of it if Im locked into a contract? Make up your mind what you would like to talk about and I will be happy to correct you like I just did.

And for your other mumbling, I was talking about what the other poster said about not being on Wifi unless the cell network is turned off. That sucks if its true, and would be another reason why I hate this phone....comprende? And as far as I can tell, the wifi here at work and at my house seems to be the same speed at the 3G download when connected to wifi so it makes perfect sense that what he said would be true. I see no difference with the data speed when connected to my work T1 or my home 20mbps cable connection vs. no wifi just 3G.
    Last edited by ZXMustang; 02-12-10 at 10:45 AM.
    02-12-10 10:41 AM
    You had 30 days to return the phone if you didn't like it, so you weren't locked into a contract until after that. Comprende?

Also, I would like to know why you hate it so much?

If you think it has wifi but doesn't use it that's for you to decide. What I am telling you is that when the wifi logo is in the corner, you ARE ON wifi.
    02-12-10 11:41 AM
    How sure are you of that? When I am on the net using wifi the WHITE wifi box will be in the corner. If I do not have wifi then the 3G with the berry symbol will be lit. The reason I know I AM SURELY, 100% connected to wifi when the wifi symbol is showing in the corner is that my downloads are MUCH faster. Another reason I am sure that I am using wifi is that I can make a call and browse at the same time, which is something that is not available while on Verizon's network.
    The reason your able to surf the net through wifi and talk on the phone is because the network cuts off for the phone call, initiating wifi to be the backup for data services. But it only defaults to it after the network is shut off. At the end of the day. VZW's network is prefered and there's no way to change that
    02-12-10 01:53 PM
    The reason your able to surf the net through wifi and talk on the phone is because the network cuts off for the phone call, initiating wifi to be the backup for data services. But it only defaults to it after the network is shut off. At the end of the day. VZW's network is prefered and there's no way to change that
    oooooooooohhhhh....snap.

02-12-10 01:54 PM
    it might be that way for verizon, but when i use my unlocked storm 2 when that wifi signal is white it uses wifi, same with my 9700. That actually sucks for you guys on verizon.
    02-12-10 02:01 PM
    When I open my browser the upper right hand corner shows me my lit up WiFi icon. Are you saying that even though that's the icon showing (not the 3G), I'm still really using 3G??

I ask because when I'm not within wifi range the icon in the upper right hand corner then changes to 3G.
    02-12-10 02:22 PM
    When I am at home my phone automatically connects to my router. I KNOW it is using wifi because I can download an app 10x faster than I can anywhere else.
    02-12-10 02:23 PM
    When I open my browser the upper right hand corner shows me my lit up WiFi icon. Are you saying that even though that's the icon showing (not the 3G), I'm still really using 3G??

I ask because when I'm not within wifi range the icon in the upper right hand corner then changes to 3G.

Exactly.
    02-12-10 02:23 PM
    Does anyone know of a mobile speed test website to where we can prove this?
    02-12-10 02:38 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD