that the BB is so much better than the iphone? Last night I was haveing a debate via telephone with a friend of mine, who btw happens to be a comnputer program developer, and it the much heated debate over what phone is better. His, the much hyped and talked about iPhone, or my, beautiful wonderful cant keep my grubby fingers off it, berry.

As we are on the phone we were going through the differences, and I illustrated the 3rd party software available and he states that Apple just launched their own online software development kit, where you can develop your own software online and dl to your iphone. I told him regarding the push email, and the fact that it was ready to dial numbers right from the web or from a text, and he explained that his is exactly the same. He then asked if we could watch youtube or other streaming videos, which luckily for me I can (OS 4.5) but he did beat me yet again with the iphone playing flash videos from websites. He then asked if I coould take a picture while on a phone conversation, which we both tried and both phones completed successfully. He then proceeded to play a song from his iPhone while I was on speaker phone with him and my BB while not do that. He then surfed the web, went to youtube and was watching a musioc video while we were talking, when asked if the BB could do that, I could'nt even browse while on the phone call. WOW, all this that I could not compete with and mind you he hasnt even cracked into the developing software of his phone yet, coupled with the 16gb of memory, I was deafeated and felt completely ashamed.

Other than my horrible experience of defeat and being completely battered and worn, can anybody tell me what this BB does that the iphone cant?
    05-20-08 08:55 AM
    Your BB is just better period. Shouldn't be an issue

And why would you need to watch videos or listen to music while actually on the phone? Seems pointless IMO.
    05-20-08 08:59 AM
    And why would you need to watch videos or listen to music while actually on the phone? Seems pointless IMO.
    Oh, I completely agree, but for someone that I am debating with of which phone is better, what valid points is there that the iphone cannot do? I could not hit him with anything. Other than his horrible service he now has with it.
    05-20-08 09:01 AM
    The BB is more of a "business" tool than the iPhone is. Whether he wants to admit it or not, e-mailing on a BB is easier, and better, than it is on an iPhone. I don't know a ton about the iPhone, but I'm pretty sure they don't have the same type of push e-mail, if they even have push e-mail.

The other thing is the keyboard. Believe it or not, lots of people don't actually like touch screens! I tell this to iPhone users, and they look at me like I'm nuts. Some people just really don't want to use a touch screen.

As for their software development kit, it JUST came out, as he said. How long has the iPhone been out? They're just now allowing people to develop applications? Not to mention the fact that all iPhone applications are going to have to go through the Apple Store, and be pre-approved by Apple. You don't see RIM having to authorize every 3rd party program that is developed for the BB.

Those are my main beefs with the iPhone. I'm sure other people have some others. And I'm sure these points don't matter to a lot of people. It's all opinion really.
    Last edited by smaug; 05-20-08 at 09:17 AM. Reason: I'm dumb
    05-20-08 09:16 AM
    Not to mention the fact that all iPhone applications are going to have to go through the Apple Store, and be pre-approved by Apple. You don't see RIM having to authorize every 3rd party program that is developed for the BB.
    Valid point and noted. Thanks for the info..... I did not even think of that. I too am not one for touch screens. He was lucky not top get a defective phone, couple of friends with iphones say it doesnt lock all the time when answering a call and they either mute it or open applications with their cheek while on calls.
    05-20-08 09:57 AM
    Valid point and noted. Thanks for the info..... I did not even think of that. I too am not one for touch screens. He was lucky not top get a defective phone, couple of friends with iphones say it doesnt lock all the time when answering a call and they either mute it or open applications with their cheek while on calls.
    That sucks. Yeah the iPhone definitely has advantages, like the browser. The browser on that phone is amazing. Hopefully the BB can close the gap with 4.5 and 4.6 on the 9000, but I think it will still be behind that crazy iPhone browser.

But stuff like that doesn't matter to me as much. So like I said, it's all a matter of what you need. The BB is better for some people, and the iPhone is better for others. You just have to do your research and decide what is more important to you.
    05-20-08 10:04 AM
    ^^^ Yeah, Im running th OS 4.5 Beta, and still the browser is uncomparable, but who knows what the official 4.5 will have.

Thanks for your $0.02
    05-20-08 10:19 AM
    there is honestly no comparison between the iphone and a bb. if you want your phone primarily for "entertainment" and media purposes, then the iphone would fit the bill. but if you want a better phone with a lot more functionality all around, the bb is the way to go.

oops sorry... is the term "better" biased there??
    05-20-08 12:21 PM
    [QUOTE=smaug;331710]That sucks. Yeah the iPhone definitely has advantages, like the browser. The browser on that phone is amazing. Hopefully the BB can close the gap with 4.5 and 4.6 on the 9000, but I think it will still be behind that crazy iPhone browser.

But stuff like that doesn't matter to me as much. So like I said, it's all a matter of what you need. The BB is better for some people, and the iPhone is better for others. You just have to do your research and decide what is more important to you. [/QU

I agree!!!!!!
    05-20-08 12:28 PM
    Iphone no MMS
    Iphone proprietary everything
    BB has the ubiquitous mini-USB
    BB has true business integration
    Iphone only 1 email attachment
    Iphone inferior email technology
    Iphone only ATT
    Iphone no spell check?
    Iphone no replaceable battery!
    Iphone $300 to $400 more

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-08 12:29 PM
    Iphone $300 to $400 more
    Iphone no clipboard
    Iphone no MMS
    Iphone only 1 email attachment
    Iphone no replaceable battery
    Iphone no spell check?
    BB superior email
    BB superior business integration
    BB mini-USB
    Most BB have a real qwerty keyboard
    Iphone all proprietary stuff, costs much more
    Iphone better web stuff and mm
    BB more professional

05-20-08 12:39 PM
    Um, iPhone has spellcheck. So does the iPod Touch.
    05-20-08 12:43 PM
    BB are better because ATT might quite possibly have the worst i mean worst service ever......
    05-20-08 01:27 PM
    Does iphone even count as a "smart phone" I think Iphone is a purely an entertainment phone rather than a smart phone

05-20-08 01:42 PM
    Two things I prefer about the iPhone:

1) that great big beautiful screen with finger swipe zoom.
    2) web browsing is vastly, hugely, superior (largely because of above)

Other than that...well I know many, many Mac fanatics in my industry and among my friends who used to use BB before getting an iPhone. All but 1 either returned or sold the iPhone and re-activated their Blackberry. Reason? It's a better business tool, especially when using it with Office, which the iPhone still has trouble with.

BTW, there's a new iPhone coming out in July that should address a lot of things, and they're going after the business market with MES support etc., so corporate push email is on the way for iPhone.

Then again, the BB Thunder touchscreen is due in Q3 and that could be even better. Or close enough if they match the iPhones screen quality, and the few UI features it does better.

BTW, if I used iTunes, the iPhone would be a lot more compelling. In a perfect world there would be a Rhapsody client for the Blackberry which is, IMO, a much better music service than iTunes ever will be, unless they switch to a subscription model.

Then again, I never listen to music on my phone so what do I care. I have a Sansa for that.
    05-20-08 02:05 PM
    I don't use my bb for business. I'm still a student. I like the bb better because of the full keyboard and the "wow" reaction I get from all the people who see me on it.

05-20-08 02:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD