I bought one on craigslist and when I tried to activate it- alltell told me that the previous owner had an outstanding bill and the account was "on hold" therefore, they will not be able to activate it with my number until he pays it off....is there anything I can do- whether its unlock it or whatever to be able to use this phone if he doesn't pay off his bill?
    09-12-08 07:51 PM
    Wish I could help. I personally don't think they should punish the new owner of the device because you weren't the one who didn't pay the bill. Maybe you could try talking to a supervisor at Alltel.
    09-12-08 07:53 PM
    I have called alltel 3 times and talked to 3 different people and they will not activate it until he pays it and he is being real crappy about it...I asked him if he would rather just refund my money and he said that I bought the phone as-is...which the ad on craigslist did not state that it was as is
    09-12-08 07:57 PM
    How much is his bill??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-12-08 08:44 PM
    I don't know...the lady at alltel said it would be best to get my money back because she didn't think he would ever pay it...I'm not sure if maybe she was hinting that he didn't pay his bill like he was supose to anyways or what...
    09-12-08 08:55 PM
    I hate to say it but it sounds like you are screwed....

09-12-08 10:45 PM
    this is why you test the phone before handing over the cash.
    09-12-08 10:49 PM
    This is BS. I'd call your local TV station's "help line" and get them involved. Here in Omaha the local stations call it "6 On Your Side" and "7 Can Help".

The previous owner of the BB owes money against their account not against the BB.

Alltel wants to force you to do their dept collection by holding your BB as hostage.

If all else fails, I'd take Alltel to small claims court and sue them for the cost of the phone plus any other expenses you have incured.

Blueraven
    09-13-08 05:02 AM
    I like the court idea

09-13-08 09:36 AM
    This is called fraud. Open and shut small claims court case. If you can find out where he works, it's also easy to collect. Look up a how to on line and go get him!

09-13-08 10:26 AM
    This is BS. I'd call your local TV station's "help line" and get them involved. Here in Omaha the local stations call it "6 On Your Side" and "7 Can Help".

The previous owner of the BB owes money against their account not against the BB.

Alltel wants to force you to do their dept collection by holding your BB as hostage.

If all else fails, I'd take Alltel to small claims court and sue them for the cost of the phone plus any other expenses you have incured.

Blueraven
    it's not alltel's fault. they locked up the account/phone to get the primary account holder to pay up.

the account holder then sold the phone under false pretenses, knowing full well what he was doing.

it's the seller's fault. and it's the buyer's fault for not protecting himself for calling to verify the phone's eligibility prior to completing the sale.
    09-13-08 12:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD