If you don't mind me asking, what are your guys' reasons for preferring the trackball?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-10 09:18 PM
    the ball to me is smoother, more accurate, I can spin it with a fast swipe and land my cursor/pointer on a distant spot I wanted whereas the pad takes a few swipes. I can snap the tip of my thumb (or index finger) at it repeatedly and scroll up down super fast. It has a bit of tactical feel to it that the smooth pad doesn't when I want to go slowly. To put it simply I can just use it faster and smoother.

Though I should say I have a Tour with a GREAT ball. I used a friend's Curve and the ball sucks ***. The pad is way better than his ball, but a smooth, accurate, working ball blows the pad out of the water IMHO.

Keep in mind that RIM has been making balls for years whereas they've only been making pads for maybe a year. The only reason (IMHO) they're moving to the pad is because the pad won't get fouled up and cost them $$$ for returns. Yes, a fouled up ball is awful. A slick, perfect one is great.
    01-15-10 09:26 PM
    For me i'm not sure witch i prefer, i grew up using a track ball mouse so the track ball on my old 8330 felt natural to me, but i didn't like how much it got stuck. in my line of work (cooking), i would have issues with food or grease getting on the ball. so i was very happy with the track pad on my 9700. the ball feels more natural to me but i get less headaches with the track pad.
    01-15-10 10:11 PM
    Love the trackpad. I was a fun of the trackball, but it's too prone to issues after extended usage. 5 minutes after using the trackpad, I knew there was no going back.
    01-15-10 11:04 PM
    Trackpad all the way!
    01-15-10 11:05 PM
    Awesome, thanks guys, I appreciate the responses so far. It's always interesting to see the diverse opinions around here, and the reasons why people think the way they do. It's exactly the very point for a community forum, and Crackberry has a great community at that.

If I could sum up my opinions now, after reading this thread, I would say, you guys are right, for the long term, a trackpad makes much more sense, and much more financial sense for RIM, in terms of returns and repairs for trackball problems. Very good point.

While I think the trackpad is great that way, I still think due to its slight advantages in some situations, for me, while it's an incentive for upgrading, it's not the end all be all (nor was it ever) reason for the switch. An incentive, to be sure, but not as grand as I had thought.

Cheers guys.

01-16-10 01:51 AM
    I agree with the OP.

I prefer trackball as of now.
    01-16-10 01:53 AM
    I too, love the trackball, not big on pad. Only a few times as ball stuck on me. But the trackball is being phased out soon -so may as well get used to pad. To me trackball so accurate , but general consensus is like trackpad is way forward.

01-16-10 02:45 AM
    I find the trackpad wayyyy more accurate and faster to gain access to w/e you need to. Trackpad FTW!
    Trackpad. No question.
    01-16-10 02:58 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD