I'll be upfront about it, I'm thinking of getting the new iphone when it comes out (should be second half of this year) and just hear me out and tell me if I'm crazy or not.
    I've been a bb user for maybe the past 6 years and I've always sworn by them, solid build, reliable, etc. But lately, I've just been getting more and more discontent. I can't do proper web browsing without using bolt and even that isn't all that great. Battery life for the bold sucks horribly. I've recently updated to .266 and at random times, my phone will just freeze, as in the led stays bright red or blue and nothing will happen for hours unless I pop out the battery. Not to mention the godforsaken wait times, I'm @ close to 6 minutes waiting for it to reboot fully after a reset. And honestly, this chrome trim is pissing me off with all the sides chipping off, I mean come on, I paid close to $400 for this phone, ur telling me the paint can't stay on, the battery door can't be tight, etc, etc. And not to mention the privilege of using a bb is definately getting to me @ close to $50 just for the data access. Oh, and how could I forget that adorable leather pouch which is like a vise which won't let go (I've been using it for 2 months, its still not loose enough. Did I mention that it won't sync with my mac (keep in mind, $1 in every $3 spent on laptops is on a apple laptop)

As you can see, I'm pissed @ my phone and I think the main reason is because I feel let down by RIM. Research in motion is no longer in motion, its stagnated if not getting worse. I'm starting to feel that RIM is like GM, a million different models using the same basic internals with quality getting crappier and crappier.

Apple on the other hand, listens to criticisms and such. People have complained about the lack of copy/paste, video recorder, etc etc and guess what, the new iphone incorporates all this and more and not to mention apple's amazing quality standards and support. I mean, come on RIM, what is seriously up with you? Come this december, I can't wait to get my hands on the new iphone.

The things I'll enjoy on my iphone (hopefully):
    Ability to sync with my mac, ability to sync with itunes, the fact that there are so many apps (let's face it, RIM app world is a disgrace after all the high hopes we had), paint not chipping off, plenty of 3rd party accessories, reboot times under 1 min, better battery life, more money in my pocket, etc.

Am I crazy or do you guys agree with me?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-08-09 12:02 PM
    Yes, you are crazy.

Now, what was your question?
    05-08-09 12:02 PM
    LOL your most definitely crazy ill give you that but if you think for one tiny second the iphone will be better than a BB when it comes to communication...because essentially thats what BBs are great at then your sadly mistaken.

Im waiting to see what the new iphone brings to the table...will it have MMS, video recording...cut n paste and most importantly multi tasking. If it does then i might just get one myself as a backup but i have a feeling that some but not all features i listed will come to the new iphone.
    05-08-09 12:06 PM
    I totally agree with you on ALL points especially on the Mac compatibility and excluding your battery issues(my batt life is great).
    However, for me, iphone is not the solution only because the battery life sux and carrying a spare is not an option.
    05-08-09 12:06 PM
    I'll be upfront about it, I'm thinking of getting the new iphone when it comes out (should be second half of this year) and just hear me out and tell me if I'm crazy or not.
    I've been a bb user for maybe the past 6 years and I've always sworn by them, solid build, reliable, etc. But lately, I've just been getting more and more discontent. I can't do proper web browsing without using bolt and even that isn't all that great. Battery life for the bold sucks horribly. I've recently updated to .266 and at random times, my phone will just freeze, as in the led stays bright red or blue and nothing will happen for hours unless I pop out the battery. Not to mention the godforsaken wait times, I'm @ close to 6 minutes waiting for it to reboot fully after a reset. And honestly, this chrome trim is pissing me off with all the sides chipping off, I mean come on, I paid close to $400 for this phone, ur telling me the paint can't stay on, the battery door can't be tight, etc, etc. And not to mention the privilege of using a bb is definately getting to me @ close to $50 just for the data access. Oh, and how could I forget that adorable leather pouch which is like a vise which won't let go (I've been using it for 2 months, its still not loose enough. Did I mention that it won't sync with my mac (keep in mind, $1 in every $3 spent on laptops is on a apple laptop)

As you can see, I'm pissed @ my phone and I think the main reason is because I feel let down by RIM. Research in motion is no longer in motion, its stagnated if not getting worse. I'm starting to feel that RIM is like GM, a million different models using the same basic internals with quality getting crappier and crappier.

Apple on the other hand, listens to criticisms and such. People have complained about the lack of copy/paste, video recorder, etc etc and guess what, the new iphone incorporates all this and more and not to mention apple's amazing quality standards and support. I mean, come on RIM, what is seriously up with you? Come this december, I can't wait to get my hands on the new iphone.

The things I'll enjoy on my iphone (hopefully):
    Ability to sync with my mac, ability to sync with itunes, the fact that there are so many apps (let's face it, RIM app world is a disgrace after all the high hopes we had), paint not chipping off, plenty of 3rd party accessories, reboot times under 1 min, better battery life, more money in my pocket, etc.

Am I crazy or do you guys agree with me?

Probably has a lot to do with the fact that on average they cost about 3 times as much as a comparable PC laptop.
    05-08-09 12:08 PM
    You are not crazy. Crazy is settling for something you are not
    happy with. If the IPhone blows your hair back, go for it.
    05-08-09 12:09 PM
    Copied directly from apple's site, so its guaranteed (wonder what the other 96 features are)
    For iPhone owners, it just keeps getting better. When iPhone OS 3.0 arrives this summer, it will introduce over 100 new features, including the ability to:

?*Search your iPhone

?*Cut, copy, and paste

?*Send photos, contacts, audio files, and location via MMS*

?*Read and compose email and text messages in landscape

05-08-09 12:15 PM
    (keep in mind, $1 in every $3 spent on laptops is on a apple laptop)
    Where do you get your statistics from? Steve Job's mother?

and keep in mind, anyone who is anyone in this world don't use macs...
    05-08-09 12:18 PM
    @ sandos: I think you'd have a really hard time backing up that claim of 3 times, I'd agree with you on 1.5 times but that's about it and believe me, its worth every penny. My 5 year old powerbook g4 still runs like a champ, no complaints and still good enough to play halo at decent settings), I have a macbook pro right now which I couldn't be happier with (just letting you know).

05-08-09 12:18 PM
    Copied directly from apple's site, so its guaranteed (wonder what the other 96 features are)
    For iPhone owners, it just keeps getting better. When iPhone OS 3.0 arrives this summer, it will introduce over 100 new features, including the ability to:

?*Search your iPhone

?*Cut, copy, and paste

So they have put MMS and cut n paste into the OS...hmm its a start but how about multi tasking and video recording??. I just hope they dont try and push it as a business device because even the new one still cant do what a BB can do.

Also im pretty sure with those new features the iphone will still have a crappy battery life and funnily enough u just cant swap them out like you can do with a normal basic phone.
    05-08-09 12:19 PM
    I'm going to agree with AG. What ever floats your boat or tickles you pickle is what you you should go with. Don't pick something based what everyone else says. If you are satisfied with the iphone then go for it
    05-08-09 12:28 PM

?*Search your iPhone

?*Cut, copy, and paste

all of that will be updated in the new OS upgrade 3.0 in july!
    good call buddy, good one!
    05-08-09 12:29 PM
    You are not crazy. Crazy is settling for something you are not
    happy with. If the IPhone blows your hair back, go for it.
    I pretty much agree with the above. I own a Storm AND an iPhone. I love them both, but prefer my Storm for the most part. If you need to manage email (I have 8 email accounts), the blackberry is better. You are also stuck with AT&T with the iPhone. The network isn't nearly as good on my iPhone as it is on my Storm (which is Verizon).

Anyway, I digress. If you are unhappy and you think the iPhone will make you happy, go for it! Just know that you "trade" a bit depending on which you go with. Also, the Storm 2 should be out around the same time as the new iPhone, so you may want to consider that if you are unhappy with your current BB.

Right now I'm scrambling to find a way to upgrade both of my phones this summer.
    05-08-09 12:39 PM
    You may very well _be_ crazy but based on this post I can't tell.
    However, I don't agree with you.
    I'm perfectly happy with both my Blackberry Pearl and my Windows PCs.
    I've tried a friends iPhone and on the rare occasions when it can get a connection it seems to be an OK toy, but I'm not a fan of the touch screen.
    Also, keep in mind, for every Mac user out there, there are ten PC user's who still have a months beer money in their pockets.
    05-08-09 12:47 PM
    looks like I stirred up a hornets nest in here. i really don't this thread to go way off topic so lets lay off the windows/mac hate but I have to reply to thepoisonberry:
    no, steve jobs mother didn't tell me, but a quick google search did (I also read the news), here's a l ink: w w w.tgdaily.com/content/view/39738/113
    i'll even summarize the article : Market data provided by NPD shows that one in five laptops sold in the U.S. retail during July and August carried an Apple logo. If we look at the total revenue, Apple's share of notebook market in the same period was 35%. In other words, Apple took in more than $1 on every $3 spent on a notebook in U.S. retail.

And considering we're in a recession right now, macs are the only type of laptops that are still selling with increased numbers (something to consider) and feel free to google it if you don't believe.

and an interesting tidbit you may not have known (only because you said no one who is anyone uses a mac), the microsoft laptop hunters ads that have been airing on national television, were created on a mac (wonder what that says about windows now)

like i said earlier, lets try to keep it on topic, which is whether i'm crazy or not to leave the bold. in other words (and this is something i've been thinking about for some time), is there anything the bb has that the iphone doesn't have? only thing i can think of is email but i've heard (can't verify, only hearsay) that mobileme isn't the disaster that it started out as and that it's quite good right now (if anyone can comment, i'd be very thankful). so please, let loose with the RELEVANT and ON TOPIC replies and comments

-had to screw around with the link cuz i dont have 10 posts yet
    05-08-09 01:01 PM
    My stance on the matter is that if you are looking for a primarily entertainment oriented device (i.e. music, videos, games, web browsing), then you would probably be better served with an iPhone.

However, I use my BlackBerry more as a communications device. Don't get me wrong, I do think the Bold is pretty good for music, and getting better for browsing. I don't think the iPod really has an advantage when it comes to audio or video quality, but the BB media player needs some more software revisions.

iPhone
    Pro:
    • Trendier, sexier, more youthful type look
    • Touchscreen is far and away superior for gaming, web browsing, gestures, etc.
    • Substantially larger screen for videos
    • Better 1st party media player software. (Shame on you, RIM. Really.)
    • Cheaper than the Bold (for the 8GB version)

Con:
    • Zero user serviceable parts. Can't even change out the battery.
    • Memory is not expandable; buy an 8GB iPhone and it will only ever be 8GB.
    • iTunes
    • Touchscreen sucks hard for text entry
    • You have to jailbreak your phone to run unapproved software
    • Apple's generally fascist and stupid application approval process for the app store.
    • Apple's generally dickheaded attitude towards end users

BlackBerry (considering the Bold specifically)
    Pro:
    • Understated, classic, more professional type look
    • Hardware keyboard (the biggest selling point for me)
    • More secure (President Obama has a BlackBerry)
    • Memory easily expandable up to 32GB (as soon as someone releases a 32GB Micro-SDHC card, that is)
    • Can run unsigned applications without difficulty, as long as they do not need to access privileged functions.
    • Can manage media files with any file manager program through USB Mass Storage mode
    • Can also use your device as a USB key
    • Hot swappable SD card and easily changed out battery
    • RIM makes it easy to charge a second battery using a powerstation or EBC
    • Screen, while smaller, is still damned good
    • RIM aren't a bunch of control freaks trying to dictate which carrier you can operate the phone on or which software you may run on the device you paid for
    • Remote lobotomy feature if you lose it (Needs BES or BB Unite)

Con:
    • More expensive (than 8GB iPhone)
    • Only 1GB onboard memory (larger capacity is a small extra cost for the Micro-SD card.)
    • 1st party media player software needs work
    • Less selection of applications
    • Can't impersonate drinking a glass of beer

So, what do you all think? What'd I forget on the list?
    05-08-09 01:02 PM
    you just need to put the pipe down and sleep it off
    Last edited by Gor3Slang; 05-08-09 at 01:06 PM.
    05-08-09 01:04 PM
    I don't see anything crazy about being able to see that quality control at RIM has taken a nose dive over the years. They don't seem to care too much about overall quality but rather the number of units sold. I bought a Bold the day it was released and found it to be bug ridden and poorly constructed. I got rid of it. Loose battery door, squeaky frame, constant rebooting and OS glitches through several leaked betas made me realize that sales numbers were more important than anything else.

I bought the Storm and find it to be the same, both in quality and general operation. RIM is unable to provide a solid performing OS for either phone.

No one can answer your question as to whether you should go with the new iPhone. I believe that the 3.0 software release will improve the iPhone greatly. If they add even more features to a newer model, you can't go wrong.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    05-08-09 01:09 PM
    DONT DO IT!!!!!!!! The i phone that is.
    05-08-09 01:15 PM
    Er, really? You think RIM has shoddy quality control? The Bold has the best fit and finish I've seen from a smartphone, even considering the slightly loose battery door.

FWIW, I think the battery door is somewhat intentional on RIM's part. Ever dropped your berry on the carpet and noticed the way the battery and door go flying, but don't get damaged? If the battery door were better attached, it would be prone to breakage in drops like that. I think it's a really good design consideration. I've seen this behavior from a Curve, my old Pearl, and my new Bold. Never have I seen the door fall off one of these phones unless it were dropped.
    05-08-09 01:28 PM
    the only problem I see with the "I" phone is that it cant receive
    mms messages and it don't have a flash
    other than that ....its ok
    now for you gettn the iphone that clearly up to you .....what ever makes you happy
    05-08-09 01:32 PM
    Er, really? You think RIM has shoddy quality control? The Bold has the best fit and finish I've seen from a smartphone, even considering the slightly loose battery door.

FWIW, I think the battery door is somewhat intentional on RIM's part. Ever dropped your berry on the carpet and noticed the way the battery and door go flying, but don't get damaged? If the battery door were better attached, it would be prone to breakage in drops like that. I think it's a really good design consideration. I've seen this behavior from a Curve, my old Pearl, and my new Bold. Never have I seen the door fall off one of these phones unless it were dropped.
    I personally think that the curve was built way better than the bold, and I don't think i'm the only one who thinks that. i'm guessing that you haven't had the bb of yesteryear, such as the 7290 or my personal favorite, the nextel 7520 (that was built with quality in mind, such an amazing phone, the build quality, the way the phone worked, it like opened my eyes as to what a blackberry was and that i didn't have to settle for motorola's crap anymore). Now, i'm starting to think that RIM has let the numbers get to their head and all they care about is pushing units out the door, quality or workmanship be damned. Back in the day, the bb used to made in canada (all of them, not some of them) but alas, not anymore.

ps - the presidents blackberry can't be really regarded as a real blackberry, the NSA beefed up the security on that thing so much, I doubt it even functions even more (can you imagine the boot up time )
    Last edited by bbyf16; 05-08-09 at 01:41 PM.
    05-08-09 01:38 PM
    I don't see anything crazy about being able to see that quality control at RIM has taken a nose dive over the years. They don't seem to care too much about overall quality but rather the number of units sold. I bought a Bold the day it was released and found it to be bug ridden and poorly constructed. I got rid of it. Loose battery door, squeaky frame, constant rebooting and OS glitches through several leaked betas made me realize that sales numbers were more important than anything else.

I bought the Storm and find it to be the same, both in quality and general operation. RIM is unable to provide a solid performing OS for either phone.

No one can answer your question as to whether you should go with the new iPhone. I believe that the 3.0 software release will improve the iPhone greatly. If they add even more features to a newer model, you can't go wrong.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    The iPhone was exactly perfect upon first release either. I have the 8900 and my wife has an iPhone - they both have their pluses and minuses. I prefer the BB, but I also have a greater professional need for email, spreadsheets, etc.
    05-08-09 01:41 PM
    I haven't used any of the pre-trackball BBs, but my last phone was a Pearl, and I've handled a couple 8300s. The Bold has a much more solid feel than either, although there's a little bit more wiggle on the battery door on the sides. My only gripes with the Bold are software related. (Like the crappy video sync in the media player.)
    05-08-09 02:20 PM
    My sister has an Iphone and i got a first glimpse at it a couple of weeks ago. She handed it to me and said I could have a little supervised play with it. I must admit the iphone was on my list of must have gadgets before settling for the BB Bold. It seemed a little fragile and untouchable to me and after a few nervous looks from my sister with her most revered accessory in such clumbsy hands I returned it without realy looking but more reassuringly without any incidents. I want a phone that performs of course but not to the degree where im too frightened to carry it and use the damn thing. BB is the business for business, Iphone is for status and impressing people that you are indeed in the in crowd. Just my opinion.
    05-08-09 03:03 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD