I searched forums and everyone's questions seem to be over mine. Soooo....umm, I can't even find the stupid GPS to find out it doesn't work! I set everything in settings to "enabled" but I can't figure out how to even get the red GPS bar. I opened Att maps, just gave cell location;downloaded bbmaps and it says it can't find my current location....grrrrr.

Can someone please guide me? Or give me a link to the explanation?

Thanks - i used to enjoy "sending" my location to friends.
    08-27-10 05:44 PM
    Try this...

Go to Options > Device > Location Settings

Make sure that GPS Data Source is set to "Device GPS".

Make sure Location Services is set to "Location On".

Make sure Location Data is set to "Enable".

Make sure Location Aiding is set to "Enable". (This is shorten the time to first fix.)

Then, press the Blackberry Menu Button and select Refresh Location.

It will tell you that it is "Calculating current location ..."

Once this is complete, it will give you information about your location in the "Location" section.

Note the time, lat, lon, accuracy, and number of satellites. (I received 7 of them). It will also give you an approximate address, or maybe just the town you are in.

For best results, you should try this outside with a clear view of the sky. If you get an update to your location, then the GPS is working fine.

Hope this helps!
    C
    08-27-10 06:04 PM
    That worked like a charm! Guess I just hadn't done the refresh location. When I went to BB Maps it said "your current location is unknown". Is the only way to access the GPS through an app like BB Maps or Google?
    08-27-10 07:09 PM
    Except for what you did, then the answer is yes... you will need an app such as those. I use the following apps that access the GPS:

Google Maps
    Poynt
    BB Maps
    TrekBuddy
    BlackStar

I have also turned on the GPS location for the camera but I am not very familiar with that function. TrekBuddy and BlackStar will give you lat, lon, and alt in real time.

C

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-27-10 08:14 PM
    My problem is similar...foursquare won't pick up my location if I'm inside...not even based on cell location....what the heck is going on?

08-28-10 12:01 AM
    Except for what you did, then the answer is yes... you will need an app such as those. I use the following apps that access the GPS:

Google Maps
    Poynt
    BB Maps
    TrekBuddy
    BlackStar

I have also turned on the GPS location for the camera but I am not very familiar with that function. TrekBuddy and BlackStar will give you lat, lon, and alt in real time.

C

I have the first three, myself. But is there a voice, turn by turn app for the Torch? I think Garmin makes one for Blackberry, but it didn't sound like it supported OS 6 yet.

BTW, if you publish those pics, those who know how to read that info from the photos may get more info about you than you'd like to share with strangers, particularly if you upload in anything close to real time.
    08-28-10 01:58 AM
    I have the first three, myself. But is there a voice, turn by turn app for the Torch? I think Garmin makes one for Blackberry, but it didn't sound like it supported OS 6 yet.

BTW, if you publish those pics, those who know how to read that info from the photos may get more info about you than you'd like to share with strangers, particularly if you upload in anything close to real time.
    ATT Navigator gives turn-by-turn directions. Haven't yet used it much; we'll see if my company allows the subscription to continue. several years ago I tried using Verizon's navigator app. Worked OK until I got into busy metro areas - then it refreshed too slow to keep up with upcoming intersections at highway speeds. I bought a stand alone GPS which performs much better at this.

One pleasant surprise with the ATT Navigator is that it identifies upcoming red light cameras. Still slower than my regular GPS, so I need some more time to see if it fits my needs.
    08-28-10 06:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD