Hai Guys

Wanna ask about your opinion..is it gOod always upgrade and downgrade the operating system?it almost 6 times I Used to do it (4.6-->5.0.411->5.0.592->4.6->5.0.592->5.0.411)
    Is that true that always upgrade and downgrade will influence the hardware performance inside bb? It Just my sense..

Thank u

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Mr.blackyberry; 05-13-10 at 10:45 AM.
    05-13-10 10:41 AM
    The only thing I can think of is that the constant reinstalls may be a strain on the memory. other than that might as well just run a hybrid that is the most optimized.
    05-13-10 11:15 AM
    There are bound to be multiple opinions on this topic.

First, Flash Memory as used on all BlackBerry Smartphone does have a life expectency:

http://www.spezial.com/commercio/dat...Expectancy.pdf

Introduction
    There are several ways to calculate the life expectancy of a solid-state flash disk like M-Systems’ Fast Flash Disk (FFD). One way is to analyze the reliability factors of the individual components and then calculate an expected Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF). The MTBF calculations are addressed in a different document per each FFD model and specific capacity, which can be supplied upon request. This white paper will present the life expectancy of the FFD based on the endurance of
    the flash memory inside the FFD. ...

Examples
    1. Assume you are using a 512MB FFD with Toshiba flash components, which are specified for
    250,000 erase/write cycles. Also assume that the application is writing enough data to fill the
    entire disk once a day. This data can be written to the same group of sectors over and over
    again or it can be written into the entire media. The location does not matter. The only thing
    that matters is the total amount of data transferred into the FFD. Putting these numbers into the
    equation will give:
    Life Span = ...248,750 days or 681.5 years.
    Conclusion
    The life expectancy of the FFD is not limited by the erase cycle limit of the flash nor does it depend
    on the application’s write patterns. The FFD will probably never reach the erase cycle limit of the
    flash.
    Clearly, a few device upgrades will have a minuscule impact on the memory.

The second part of the question depends of the reasons for doing a device OS upgrade.

The OP's profile indicates he is a Bold 9000 user. Members that were in the loop when that model was first released are well aware of the initial software shortcomings... clearly, there was an urgent need to upgrade.

However, once the device OS software has been refined to an agreeable stage, there in little or no benifit in chasing leaked upgrade code. It is common knowledge that leaked code is intended for carrier testing. It is common for optimization features like power conservation to be deleted in order to allow the carriers to make meaningful comparison tests.

IMHO, once you have a carrier approved OS installed that meets your needs, there is no benifit to chasing the latest leaked OS code.
    05-13-10 11:16 AM
    Think of your BlackBerry smartphone as a small computer. Over time new software will be available and you'll upgrade to this software whenever possible. Sometimes things aren't working as desired and you may want to downgrading. Some software could seriously mess up your system requiring you to reinstall the software; we've all been there I'm quite positive. The lifetime of a personal computer however is much longer than that of a BlackBerry and although different technologies are used under the hood, it is true that there will be a performance penalty, but the difference is very small and hardly noticeable. In theory you are lessening the performance of your BlackBerry, but in practice there's nothing to be worried about.
    05-13-10 11:19 AM
    I agree with Reed and especially the last sentence in his post.

I stopped doing upgrades with the Bold 9000 as every upgrade made changes that
    are noticeable to just about no one.

With my 8900 I used the OS it came with and upgraded once. I never had any of the
    issues people post / complain about here.

On my current device I am using the OS it came with and unless AT&T releases
    an update, I am not interested in any of the leaks or other carriers releases.

I am of the general mind that people upgrade just to have the "latest and
    greatest" despite the fact that there was NOTHING wrong with what they had
    before and in most cases of no benefit.
    05-13-10 12:53 PM
    I stopped upgrading at .282 on my Bold 9000. So that was months ago. I got out
    of that phase too.

Currently with my 9700 I've been on the carrier OS (.405) and have had absolutely
    no problem with it at all. Unless there's a leak that has a must have feature that I
    need, I have no reason to upgrade.

I've been seeing that in a bunch of the later 5.0 OS builds, the option to set my
    convenience key to "lock keyboard" isn't there anymore. I know it has a dedicated
    one at the top, but I don't find it convenient at all.
    05-13-10 12:59 PM
    I would say that upgrading is more necessary if one wants a feature offered in a new OS that an old OS lacks. For instance, threaded SMS is available in 5.0, but not in 4.5, 4.6, or 4.7. That would be a significant difference. Once you move on to any version of 5.0, the differences in the various versions of it are miniscule.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    05-13-10 01:07 PM
    Thank u guys for your opinion...maybe I won't upgrade or downgrade anymore even there's's no problem with the device ...yeah..upgrade downgrade made me wasting time..reinstall the program..made a setting to the phone..ahhh..

05-15-10 06:57 AM
    I used to have to upgrade every time a new OS was released for the Bold 9700 that I have, but yesterday, I upgrade to .656 and my Wi-Fi totally screwed up. So, I went back to .593 and that's where I'm staying.
    05-15-10 09:51 AM
    The one thing to keep in my is the memory in your BB has 3 uses: OS, Storage (apps, emails, etc) and runtime memory. Changing the OS will only induce a few writes to memory as compared to the other uses of your memory.

05-15-10 10:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD