05-06-10 04:41 AM
35 12
tools
    Honest question here - I can't think of 1 reason to stay with my blackberry tour over getting the HTC EVO when it comes out in June.

The only thing i could think of was having a virtual keyboard on the HTC EVO...but the screen is HUGE...so i don't think it will be an issue.

What am i missing....why should i stick with my Berry?
    05-04-10 01:05 AM
    You don't need the latest and the best to be satisfied. Document your current mobile computing needs and see if you're lacking anything. If you are then the decision would then become easier to switch. Do you sometimes wish you had an excellent camera on hand sometimes and find your current one is insufficient? Do you sometimes wish that you could connect your phone to your TV and view pictures or watch movies?

If you find you already have everything you need with your berry, then switching should be treated as a luxury and will probably be unnecessary.

I'm not directing this at you but sometimes we have the tendency to want to switch to the latest and greatest so that others admire the things we own, or so that we can say we have something that others don't have.
    Last edited by saqer; 05-04-10 at 01:12 AM.
    05-04-10 01:10 AM
    I love my berry for what it does (email, text msg, twitter, facebook), cause it does it well.

But the HTC EVO just for the internet browsing alone is worth paying the price (it loads the real websites on 4G)

No more waiting, waiting, waiting for the internet. (and the fake internet at that
    05-04-10 01:12 AM
    Don't know where you're located but 4G hasn't been rolled out in all cities yet so it might be pointless to own a 4G device where you are. Check sprint website for news on rollouts of future 4G networks. I agree that internet browsing would be so much nicer with the EVO with just the screen on that thing. From what I hear and know, Android does email, text msg, twitter, facebook probably just as well. Pick up an EVO and try it for 30 days when it comes out. With sprint you can get a phone risk free for 30 days and return it with no penalty.
    05-04-10 01:16 AM
    You don't need the latest and the best to be satisfied. Document your current mobile computing needs and see if you're lacking anything. If you are then the decision would then become easier to switch. Do you sometimes wish you had an excellent camera on hand sometimes and find your current one is insufficient? Do you sometimes wish that you could connect your phone to your TV and view pictures or watch movies?

If you find you already have everything you need with your berry, then switching should be treated as a luxury and will probably be unnecessary.

I'm not directing this at you but sometimes we have the tendency to want to switch to the latest and greatest so that others admire the things we own, or so that we can say we have something that others don't have.
    That sounds a lot like the wife nagging her husband about having too many golf clubs or too many power tools. Does the husband need them? No. Could he do without them? Probably. But they are hobbies, just like electronic gadgets. You can't tell me you have zero hobbies and live only by necessity. If so tell me the name of the public library you're posting from and the Amish village from which you hail.
    05-04-10 02:03 AM
    What do you mean, "what am I missing"? You're not missing anything, the Evo is a great new phone. Nobody is making you keep your blackberry.

You aren't missinbg anything, the evo is a superior phone in just about every aspect (with the exception of a physical keyboard)

Sprint has a 30 day return period. If you want the Evo, but it and try it. You can always return it if you're not blown away.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-04-10 02:21 AM
    Funny, im planning on leaving my 9000 after about 4-5 years of BB use. Most likely going to a Motorola Shadow android when it comes out. As much as I love my 9000, and I reaeeaaaaly love my 9000. Its time for a change, and unless BB comes up with a better newer OS, im switching.

Hopefully OS 6 or OS 7 or even OS 8 turns things around for BB.
    05-04-10 02:24 AM
    @saqer I share your point. It really makes little sense to spend money on a new device when your current one meets all of your needs. Unless you see yourself wanting to change how you use your smartphone, I don't see why a change in device and different platform would be necessary. I think the EVO looks sweet too, but if I'm not going to increase the amount of web browsing I do or increase my multimedia usage, then what would be the point? Just wasted money.

05-04-10 05:03 AM
    Yeah, can you say 'Incredible owners'? Not that it's anything to be admired.

Personally, there's nothing my Storm2 can't do that I need or want on a day to day basis. Opera fills my CB addiction, BerryBuzz keeps my peripheral vision in check, SocialScope gets me my social app fix, and Druglord Wars makes bus rides a little less boring. I can honestly say I've never been this happy with a phone (or any electronic, really) in my life.

No EVO for me.
    Last edited by GlitchZero; 05-04-10 at 05:17 AM.
    05-04-10 05:11 AM
    Honest question here - I can't think of 1 reason to stay with my blackberry tour over getting the HTC EVO when it comes out in June.

The only thing i could think of was having a virtual keyboard on the HTC EVO...but the screen is HUGE...so i don't think it will be an issue.

Sorry for pointing out the obvious but you're comparing a phone that's not even out yet with a blackberry that's at least a year old now. Many things can happen until june. Numbers on a sheet don't always tell the full story.

When it's gonna be out you might find that it's lacking something and you might change your mind. I wonder how long before google starts pushing ads to android phones.

05-04-10 05:19 AM

You can tell us after you dump your new HTC and coming crawling back for crack
    05-04-10 06:59 AM
    I jumped onto the Palm Pre hype and got one the first day it came out, I was excited about owning the latest and greatest...and along with it came several issues I didnt expect..hardware issues, heat issues, battery life, horrible mail, etc..

Im not saying that all that (or any of it) will happen with the HTC EVO but I know the next time I switch phones and platforms Im going to buy what I need and am going to use, not what looks all shiny, exciting and new : )
    05-04-10 07:25 AM
    These are absolutely the truest words ever spoken on these boards.
    I wish we could start EVERY thread about which phone should I buy? and which carrier should I move to? and blah blah blah...with these words!

You are brilliant for being able to phrase so tersely what most of us reading these threads only WISH we could say!

BRAVO sir!
    05-04-10 07:49 AM
    I really don't know why you would-- since I don't know you.

I can, however, tell you why I am still with BB. I need to integrate with corporate BES, I need the security features BB provides, I require rock solid reliability and for my phone to just plain work. BB does those things very, very well.

If I were a less business oriented (more surf, games, etc.) user and I didn't need those other things, I'd be looking at some of the other offerings very, very closely.
    05-04-10 10:47 AM
    I remember falling for all the Hype with the HTC 720, so many amazing reviews, HTC was the next biggest thing,this phone will be the best multi media experience, best for e-mail blah blah blah...... I had it for less then a year before I forked out a lot of money for the phone I should have got in the first place. My 8330.

That HTC was a POS, I despised it within weeks, not to mention that in the 10 months I had it, it died twice, 2 warranty exchanges.

I will never be first in line for anything again except for a new BB maybe. I have been pondering for months about the Iphone, but everything I try to do on my Itouch is a pain compatred to my Blackberry so why switch ?

Be very careful jumping to the next best thing based on looks and reviews, it cost me plenty of money and agravation !!!!
    05-04-10 11:11 AM
    Absolutely love my BB Tour but being a Sprint customer, living in a soon to be deployed NYC wimax area,eyes that are aging and no sight of a wimax BB it's a no brainier.

I think the only thing am not going to like is the learning curve as I played with the Incredible and I had to constantly think of what button to press next.

05-04-10 11:19 AM
    dude what about BBM?
    05-04-10 04:43 PM
    If you want it then get it. If you don't then don't. We don't know you so we can't tell you why you should stay or why you should switch. You know what you need and want out of a phone.
    05-04-10 10:01 PM
    Don't know where you're located but 4G hasn't been rolled out in all cities yet so it might be pointless to own a 4G device where you are. Check sprint website for news on rollouts of future 4G networks. I agree that internet browsing would be so much nicer with the EVO with just the screen on that thing. From what I hear and know, Android does email, text msg, twitter, facebook probably just as well. Pick up an EVO and try it for 30 days when it comes out. With sprint you can get a phone risk free for 30 days and return it with no penalty.
    If I'm not mistaken he Evo will run on 3G as well.
    05-04-10 11:31 PM
    I'm greedy, so I'll have both. 2 new devices-the 9650 Bold and the Evo! I'm so excited!!!
    05-04-10 11:37 PM
    My sister got the incredible last week. She's already frustrated with the battery life and the texting. She has turned down her brightness, turned off wifi and everything else possible. Still by noon with minimal usage, shes near 50% batterylife. The camera sucks.

My Tour is like a camel on battery life. I will upgrade to the new Bold/Tour2 just for tha ability to have the better OS and browser.
    05-05-10 12:06 AM

Well to answer your question, you will miss:

1. the 3 days of battery life the Bold has (Incredible you are lucky to get 8-9hrs of standby/light use and there is no reason to believe Evo (same company, same processor, larger screen) will be any better than that.
    2. Push email (may not be an issue for you if you use Gmail like I do or are happy with the GMail workaround that has come up)
    3. Physical keyboard .. nuf said. As great as the better virtual keyboards are (the one on the iPhone and the HTC one specifically) they are not now nor will they likely ever be as accurate physically as the physical BB keyboard is (predictive text on the Incredible is better than the BB however).
    4. and least I forget BBM. Yes there are other IM programs on other platforms but I don't know of any that have groups like BBM has. Awesome feature!
    05-05-10 12:42 AM
    My sister got the incredible last week. She's already frustrated with the battery life and the texting. She has turned down her brightness, turned off wifi and everything else possible. Still by noon with minimal usage, shes near 50% batterylife. The camera sucks.

My Tour is like a camel on battery life. I will upgrade to the new Bold/Tour2 just for tha ability to have the better OS and browser.
    Tell her to give it some time, charge it every time it gets low and if possible NEVER let it drain. Leave it on the charger overnight (it wont hurt anything). After about a week she should see some improvement. I was the same way with the Moto Droid.

Oh and also if she has a task killer suggest she not use it. I haven't even bothered with the Incredible and so far so good.
    05-05-10 12:46 AM
    Love my Incredible but to answer the OP's question, I'd start with these:

-BB has best physical keyboards if you prefer them
    -BBM rules all other messaging apps
    -BB notifications are far superior to other platforms ESPECIALLY with Berrybuzz added
    -IMO, the inner bowels of the berry are more easily interfaced by the user when the chips are down
    -The keypad BB's are some of the most durable phones on the market. Built to last
    -BATTERY LIFE RULES
    05-05-10 12:50 AM
    Im gunna have to go with the EVO, apart from looking amazing, that screen is ridiculously big, Android is becoming a really stable OS and the amount of apps is ALOT better than BB, im seriously considering it if it gets released in the UK, whether it gets 4G or not is no bother to me as 3G suffices, if it doesnt then use wifi, its gunna be an amazing phone IMO, im just hoping us Brits are lucky enough to get it soon!
    05-05-10 07:40 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD