I've never had a Blackberry device before, and am doing research to see if I could be happy with a Q10 (the keyboard, *so nice*) -- so please excuse me if I've used the wrong web search keywords before posting this inquiry / the answers are obvious.

I'd like to get out of the Google ecosystem in general, and Google seems to be getting out of the Blackberry ecosystem with the withdrawal of Google Voice for Blackberry.

Does anyone know of any alternatives? It looks like SendHub - https://www.sendhub.com/ - might be eventually, but currently they are iPhone and Android only.

Specifically the features I want to keep most are:

(1) People always see the service's phone number, not the carrier's, which is sort of a prerequisite for...

(2) Ability to send and receive SMS messages from a web browser as well as the phone, and at least receive SMS messages via email

(3) Voicemail transcription (although I could live without this)

Anyone know of anything?
    06-22-13 08:29 PM
    I don't know a lot of details about the various Google Voice features, but there are several VoIP apps available for Blackberry 10, some of which are locked to specific providers, some of which are generic. (A generic SIP app that seems to be popular is called "Taki".)
    06-23-13 12:12 AM
    Given that you have answered a question almost but not entirely unlike my question (SIP VoiP phone calls have nothing to do with SMS TXT messaging), I'm going to have a go at rephrasing my question for others:

"Is there any way using a BB10 device to have a single phone number that is used for all SMS communications, where those SMS communications can be done via the phone or via any computer with a web browser, and complete history of those communications is accessible in a convenient way via both the phone and web browser interfaces, in vaguely the same manner as Google Voice?"
    06-23-13 04:11 AM
    BBM voice?

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone using CB10
    06-23-13 06:38 AM
    Yes, but iMessage is not available on BB
    06-23-13 06:59 AM
    I have been using TextNow for sms like that. It seems pretty good so far.
    06-24-13 10:49 AM
    How about Text Plus ?
    06-24-13 11:22 AM
    Thanks, I'll be giving TextNow and Text Plus a try, it looks like they both do what I need. But more suggestions always welcome!

(Note: Text Plus is in beta, you can't just download it; I'm waiting to hear back to see if I can get in to the beta.)

Note that neither seems to support porting an existing number at the moment.
    06-24-13 12:23 PM
    I have Google voice side loaded and it works just fine

Posted via CB10
    06-25-13 12:01 AM
    FWIW: Someone posted today that Google has a beta of Google Voice in the "Beta Zone" - Blackberry's public beta-test system/site.

So apparently they have plans to bring it to BB10, which actually surprised me a bit.
    06-25-13 01:50 AM
    Can you post link to that or more info about that. i am waiting for this app so badly.
    06-27-13 01:50 PM
    If you have Google Voice sideloaded you can download a free app called Gvoice and it integrates perfectly into Google Voice and gives you a dialpad and everything.
    06-27-13 04:44 PM
    Last I checked, Google Voice didn't require an app. Once you have it setup via the Web... You're good to go. Your transcripts etc can be sent via email or SMS.

It's a rare occurrence that I even access gVoice through the app.

Set it, and forget it.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via TapaTalk 4 beta.
    06-27-13 05:11 PM
    Last I checked, Google Voice didn't require an app. Once you have it setup via the Web... You're good to go. Your transcripts etc can be sent via email or SMS.

It's a rare occurrence that I even access gVoice through the app.

Set it, and forget it.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via TapaTalk 4 beta.
    You need to use it if you want to make cheap overseas calls. On my 9900 it was integrated but this Android sideload only works through the web browser interface to make outgoing calls, incoming is OK. This free app GVoice, integrates with Google Voice and allows you to make outgoing calls and includes a dialpad, contacts etc.
    06-27-13 09:35 PM
    I actually asked Google about this when I went for an interview with them and the answer I got was that the blackberry app was not secure and going through the website is.
    06-27-13 09:41 PM
    If you have Google Voice sideloaded you can download a free app called Gvoice and it integrates perfectly into Google Voice and gives you a dialpad and everything.
    Sadly the app store says that isn't compatible with the Q10 :-(

"SynerGV (formerly GVoice) is the premier Google Voice(tm) application for the BlackBerry PlayBook!"

The reviews also seem to be... mixed (1.5 stars on average).
    06-28-13 04:01 AM
    Try Spare Phone: it's an Android port in BlackBerry World, but it works on the Q10, Z10, and PlayBook
    06-28-13 08:29 AM

The reviews also seem to be... mixed (1.5 stars on average).
    It works very well for me.
    06-28-13 08:42 AM