It's true: for Alltel users you have to download and install Telenav to activate your internal gps. From then on, you can use Google Maps and BBMaps. I find it better to start Telenav and go all the way to the log in screen, then hide Telenav, and use your other gps app. You do not have to purchase telenav to activate the gps; just install and open it.

I decided to start this thread because it was an unsolved problem in another thread.

Special Thanks to kch50428.
    Last edited by sid645; 03-13-08 at 12:49 PM.
    03-13-08 12:47 PM
    Have you tried installing a different vendors OS?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-13-08 12:55 PM
    I've never heard of that...but I don't know which carrier to start with.
    03-13-08 01:04 PM
    Any other CDMA carrier will work...Telus, Verizon, Sprint, etc.
    03-13-08 02:54 PM
    Any other CDMA carrier will work...Telus, Verizon, Sprint, etc.
    I'm also on Alltel, can you explain why the other providers software will work with my bb? I thought I read somewhere that, if you downloaded and activate telenav for the trial and then cancel, GPS would still work. I can tell you it does not.

I even tried a few other programs when I had telenav activated and none of them would work.

Thanks,

Kevin
    03-16-08 08:35 AM
    I'm also on Alltel, can you explain why the other providers software will work with my bb? I thought I read somewhere that, if you downloaded and activate telenav for the trial and then cancel, GPS would still work. I can tell you it does not.

I even tried a few other programs when I had telenav activated and none of them would work.

Thanks,

Kevin
    You can load any OS version from any carrier on your phone as long as it's for the same model and you know what you're doing. However, this will not fix any GPS issues or other "carrier locked features".

As for your Telnav thing... if you uninstalled Telnav then that's where you went wrong. (You stop the service, but don't uninstall the software.) You're the first one to report that they couldn't get Alltel's 8830 to work with GPS and 3rd party apps.
    03-16-08 08:40 AM
    I have just tried the fix you listed and it does not work for me. I am still getting the can't find GPS message. it varies from program to program, but it has not changed since I opened Telnav.
    03-19-08 11:54 AM
    I've never been able to get it to work either. I went with a GPSlim 240 and solved the problem.
    03-19-08 06:48 PM
    What is the website for the telenav download. I have a telenav ion on my phone, but I get an error code when I try to download it.
    05-04-08 01:20 PM
    Okay I downloaded it but I cant figure out what to do next. its still not finding satalites in BB maps.
    05-04-08 01:24 PM
    Alltel 8830WE here and I've never had any real issues here. I bought the phone used, however, and did have some immediate issues locating satellites at first but did the *228 deal, downloaded Nav4All, and it has been working since. It is slow to start up the Nav4All program, but its free voice nav that's comparable to the pay programs and I only use it a few times a month. It even tells you to slow down when you are travelling faster than the posted speed limit.

I have not downloaded the Telenav app either....just have the icon hidden in the background.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-04-08 01:57 PM
    From the begining. I moved and was married so I went in to change my name and to get a local number, they needed a home phone even though I don't have one so I had to give them my husbands cell number. Over the next couple of weeks an automated computer proceeds to call my husbands cell about my bill. I was like I already paid the bill. I called to make sure it was paid and it was. So, I call into Alltel and the guy just puts my cell # in place. (note: I have never gotten an automated call.) Then he proceeds to offer me this and that. And, I said I'm only interested in upgrading my phone, but I was told I would have to wait until my contract expires WHEN I BROKE MY PHONE AND HAD TO COME IN TO REPLACE IT AND I WAS CHARGE $50 FOR THE SAME PHONE, BUT THEY WOULDN'T LET ME UPGRADE UNLESS I PAID FULL RETAIL PRICE FOR ANY OTHER PHONE. And, he's like no I can get you into a new phone right now, you don't have to wait. What options do you want, which kind of phone are you interested in. I want 3 main things, I don't care what it looks like, or the color. Just give me a phone with quick internet browsing, GPS, and a nice camera with a flash. HE SET ME UP WITH THE MOTAROLA Q9c FOR $50 AFTER REBATE. The phone arrives in the mail 2 days later seems to be great but I can't get the GPS runing, so I take it into Dan and it turns out that it is not compatiable with GPS software, so he wants to set me up with a Dell, which is $50 more. So, I went with the BB Curve 8330 which was twenty some dollars more, then I have to but memory and a car charger before the costs are over. I asked how to get the GPS going on the phone because I was taking a trip the next weekend. He said just click on the icon, download TeleNav and it's $10 a month. I wanted the GPS bad enough to deal with the $10 a month. This guys name was Dan. Well the 2nd day I had the phone I found time to sit down and download the TeleNav GPS. And, it downloads fine, intalls fine, but them gives me a Error message after I commit to pay $9.99 a month, and won't proceed any further. So, I call Alltel. They can't figure it out, so they tell me to call TeleNave. I call TeleNav and they insist is not a problem on their end after going through the explanation of the error mesage to 2 different people. They say call Alltel. Call Alltel back, I get Candice, she can't fix it so she sends me to Josh, and I have to explain the error message all over again (I've been working on this for over 2 hours now.) Josh carries me into 4 hours as he tried absolutly everything. We deleted the program, tried other software, everything. He grows tired and recommends I take it into the store. Go into the store at 4pm and am there til closing with my 2 children. I'm greeted by Hund who acts like he is miserable working there. He is baffeled and ask Dan for help. Dan looks at me and says "I told you you have to wait until all the icons are loaded." And, I reply I did. This happened the next day. And, he walks off. So, Hund calls TeleNav and gets the same responce I did when I called them, but it seems forever for them to conclude maybe we should try another phone. He switches out the phones with another BB Curve 8330. Loses my contact list some how, when he was trying to load it to the new phone. NOW I HAVE LOST ALL MY PHONE NUMBERS. So, I'm like are you sure I have GPS now. So, he downloads the TeveNav himself (and I'm sure he's thinking it's going to work.) AND GUESS WHAT, IT DOES THE SAME ERROR MESSAGE ON THE NEW PHONE. In the store the have a flyer advertising the BlueBerry Peal and Curve with the TeleNav as a saleing point. Hund gives up and tells me I'm going to have to come back tommorrow. And, then says "go home and search the internet for information on the error message."

I got up the next morning and deleted the TeleNav software like the tech had me do and set-up the Access Shop, choose the Garmin Mobile out of the Recommended list and downloaded it for $9.99 a month AND IT WORKED.
    Should I call the store and tell Dan and Hund? I know I better get my $100 rebate.
    01-27-09 08:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD