I currently use Google Sync to keep my contacts/calendar/contact's birthday calendar in sync with my BB. I don't care about syncing reminders. I never thought about using the Gmail Integration plugin and then not using the Sync App.

I am curious to know which one is better for you and why you prefer it.
    05-04-11 09:28 AM
    google sync for me too
    05-04-11 09:40 AM
    I use Google Sync as well, the Gmail plug in stopped working for me a couple of times and I had to reinstall each time
    05-04-11 09:56 AM
    do either of you "check" the boxes for "calendar and contacts" within the email setup of your gmail account. I just tried, checked both boxes, waited 20 minutes and neither contacts nor calendar did a sync to my Tour.
    05-04-11 10:01 AM
    did you restart the tour? i know on my storm you could force the update just fine
    05-04-11 10:20 AM
    did you restart the tour? i know on my storm you could force the update just fine
    I did not restart, i shall try again. I read other articles that said i might have to remove my gmail account and then re add just for the settings to take effect.
    05-04-11 10:23 AM
    I use the plugin. Never have to worry about having an extra app running in the background.
    Love it!
    05-04-11 10:30 AM
    I use the plugin. Never have to worry about having an extra app running in the background.
    Love it!
    Yeah, that is always a good thing!

I just completed it, had to delete/re add gmail account for settings to take effect. I already notice that contact's birthdays do not come across in the sync. That kinds sucks. An of course birthdays don't display on the normal Google Calendar, so they didnt come across either. Anyone have a workaround or is this just how it is?
    05-04-11 10:42 AM
    you have to add the birthdays to the google calender. then they might come across

go to "calender settings"
    then "calender"
    under the "other calenders" choose "browse interesting calenders" then "more" and then you can subscribe to the "Contacts' birthdays and events" and you will see the birthdays now.

Like i said i dont know if they transfer. You could actually transfer the Birthdays to your default google calender but i think its 1 by 1
    Last edited by howarmat; 05-04-11 at 11:06 AM.
    05-04-11 11:02 AM
    you have to add the birthdays to the google calender. then they might come across

go to "calender settings"
    then "calender"
    under the "other calenders" choose "browse interesting calenders" then "more" and then you can subscribe to the "Contacts' birthdays and events" and you will see the birthdays now.

Like i said i dont know if they transfer. You could actually transfer the Birthdays to your default google calender but i think its 1 by 1
    i currently have it setup like you suggested. I like having the contact's birthday listed under their contact info and also in the calendar. They will not transfer to the standard Google Calendar unless i add an event to each date. That will not be happening. So i guess it's back to Google Sync for me!
    05-04-11 11:42 AM
    do either of you "check" the boxes for "calendar and contacts" within the email setup of your gmail account. I just tried, checked both boxes, waited 20 minutes and neither contacts nor calendar did a sync to my Tour.
    Maybe you need to get your carrier to send over the service books or something.

I know when I had the 9780 the BIS setup sync'd everything the minute I set up the email account the first time.

Email, Contacts, and Calendar.
    05-04-11 05:39 PM
    I had to do the same thing Howarmat suggested as well and I as well use Google Sync and now it works just fine.
    05-04-11 06:31 PM
    Always used the Gmail plug in and never had an issue. Tried Sync and then there were issues.
    05-04-11 07:51 PM
    I use the BIS Calendar sync. It's ok but rather slow. Poor Gmail support will probably mean my Bold 9700 is my last BB. EAS syncing works so much better with my iPad.
    05-05-11 02:17 PM
    I've tried Google sync a couple of times but had issues each time.

Since I use Outlook I use DM to sync my 9700 to my PC then I use Google sync on my computer to sync my calendar to my Google account.

For my contacts whenever I make changes on the computer I delete my contacts in Gmail/Google Voice then import them.

I know this might sound like a lot of work but it really isn't.
    05-05-11 02:40 PM
    Yep, using both. I'm using the Gmail plugin for my mail and Google Sync for my contacts and calendars. Runs cool (for now, let's hope it'll stay like this, I've seen both go haywire on me).
    05-05-11 05:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD