hi so im subscribed to a unlimited social networking plan (unlimited access to websites such as facebook, twitter and myspace)
    everything's fine

i downloaded a couple of apps (third party apps) which isn't a social networking or instant messaging app by any sort.

some works, some doesn't
    my question is that

am i gonna be charged from the data that i've used from these 3rd party apps?
    (i have snaptu, a weather app, youtube player app - all working)

my plan again is unlimited social networking which includes unlimited instant messaging and browsing to facebook, myspace and twitter
    my phone doesn't allow me to browse to any websites using my browser it says i need a wifi connection same happens with videos embedded in facebook.

"am i gonna be charged from the data that i've used from these 3rd party apps?
    (i have snaptu, a weather app, youtube player app - all working)"
    Last edited by blouie26; 07-11-10 at 09:42 PM.
    07-11-10 08:15 PM
    Short answer is NO. You're not going to get charge for extra data for using those apps.
    07-11-10 09:23 PM
    Short answer is NO. You're not going to get charge for extra data for using those apps.
    okay, well i tried playing with my phone more.
    things that i discovered.
    my phone's browser is set to HOTSPOT BROWSER (it can't be set to any other mode, its the only mode available in my phone -storm 2)
    so i can't really browse to other sites without the wifi connection

so i downloaded opera mini then i tried browsing
    IT WORKED without WIFI

i've been using snaptu since july 8 so i tried looking to my data usage in my online account
    no extra data usage charge can be seen

im just making sure since i know im gonna be charged big time if i continue to use these apps just in case my network charges for it.
    07-11-10 09:33 PM
    @thymaster: Just curious, if the phone does not allow browsing to websites
    one could assume it does not have a "proper" data plan correct? Does that matter.

I only ask because I have not heard of this type of plan.
    07-11-10 09:37 PM
    one could assume it does not have a "proper" data plan correct? Does that matter.

the plan i have is blackberry social plan which gives me unlimited access to social networking sites (facebook etc), instant messaging and sms messaging.
    now that i discovered that i can also browse thru other websites using a different browsers (opera minI) makes me wonder if im gonna be charged
    Last edited by blouie26; 07-11-10 at 09:44 PM.
    07-11-10 09:40 PM
    now that i discovered that i can also browse thru other websites using a different browsers (opera minI) makes me wonder if im gonna be charged
    Opera Mini definitely runs via WiFi so I think you can take that part off your
    worry list. Oh and BTW Welcome to Crackberry.com Glad to have you aboard.
    07-11-10 09:51 PM
    Opera Mini definitely runs via WiFi so I think you can take that part off your
    worry list. Oh and BTW Welcome to Crackberry.com Glad to have you aboard.
    thanks!

i forgot to mention that i disabled my wifi when i used the opera mini.
    i was able to browse to several websites (without wifi) that i think i shouldn't be able to since my plan is strictly for social networking websites.
    07-11-10 09:56 PM
    Social bundle is like the BIS email bundle and it's offered to some providers to make Blackberry services affordable for everyone. It offer BIS access to BBM, Facebook, Twitter, other messenger apps. Unfortunately, this special data plan will block out all other internet access including BB Browser and GPS. Fortunately there are few loop hole in this data plan.

1) It's cheap
    2) Unlimited social access means unlimited data technically
    3) Some 3rd party apps will work by bypassing the Social bundle internet services
    4) Add 2 and 3 together you got unlimited internet surfing with Opera Mini with the Social bundle without paying extra
    5) I'm sure RIM is aware of this but haven't found a solution because then some features wouldn't work properly with their social apps.

Last edited by thymaster; 07-12-10 at 05:55 AM.
    07-12-10 05:47 AM
    This is an interesting plan. What service provider do you have? I can't see it from the mobile site.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-10 06:02 AM
    Well that's a different plan

Welcome to CB!
    07-12-10 06:54 AM
    This sounds similar to the Student plans offered by Telus here in Canada. No email, no BBM, no "true" data unless worked around.
    07-12-10 07:48 AM
    So are you saying that if we have unlimited instant msging + unlimited social network... we can still browse with opera mini without wifi and without extra data charges? Btw I have the unlimited emailing + unlimited instant messaging plan from Rogers...
    07-12-10 08:24 AM
    I'm not so sure you aren't going to be charged for additional data. It seems to me that if you've only signed up for social sites, your provider might have a way of seeing if you're accessing non-social sites and charge you for those visits. You might want to check with your provider to be sure.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-10 09:04 AM
    So are you saying that if we have unlimited instant msging + unlimited social network... we can still browse with opera mini without wifi and without extra data charges? Btw I have the unlimited emailing + unlimited instant messaging plan from Rogers...
    im not on rogers but i have the same plan as yours (w/o the unlimited email)
    the thing is when i use my built in browser (HOTSPOT browser that can't be changed to any mode) i can't browse to any other website, the phone asks me to have a wifi connection

im using 3rd party apps that i know requires a data connection, some did work (snaptu -all applications inside it works except for youtube, google search (apps that brings me to my default browser) and some didn't (network connection errors)
    i tried using opera mini thinking that it was just the way my built in browser set up and yes i was able to browse to even more websites
    youtube player app also works while i can't still browse to embedded videos in facebook

i just checked my data usage summary this morning
    i wasn't charged for anything BUT
    heres the thing:
    the descriptions on my usage were usually logged as rim.networkname.com
    now the first 5 lines on my data usage for yesterday says "FPH" (but still at no charge)
    im using snaptu which is a 3rd party app since july 8 and used more 3rd party apps that uses data including the opera mini browser since yesterday

these are the services that im paying for
    unlimited access to social networking sites *using the APPS only such as the facebook app (i can't go to facebook using my browser without wifi)
    unlimited messaging (includes instant messaging) BB messenger etc.

what im thinking is maybe that they locked my browser as a hotspot browser so i can only use the unlimited data (that was just supposed to be for social networking sites) for my apps

here's the restrictions in my plan on data usage:
    2 Feature does not include: access to the Internet, including without limitation through the WAP gateway the ability to send or receive email; and access to any other social networking service or instant messaging service (including, without limitation, to any web based version of the included social networking services or instant messaging services). This package cannot be combined with any other data plan and is only available for BlackBerry� smartphones.

3 Web browsing and applications usage is not available on BlackBerry� smartphones with this rate plan. This package cannot be combined with any other data plan and is only available for BlackBerry� smartphones.
    Last edited by blouie26; 07-12-10 at 10:26 AM.
    07-12-10 10:07 AM
    This trick will work with the unlimited email and bbm plan as well.

07-12-10 11:11 AM
    I had that plan on TELUS a while ago. Only applications that bypass BIS work, like Viigo when set to direct connection, BOLD/Opera both work. But maps and other applications that require a connection to BIS won't work.
    07-12-10 02:23 PM
    I had that plan on TELUS a while ago. Only applications that bypass BIS work, like Viigo when set to direct connection, BOLD/Opera both work. But maps and other applications that require a connection to BIS won't work.
    did they charge you for using those applications?
    07-12-10 02:25 PM
    im not on rogers but i have the same plan as yours (w/o the unlimited email)
    So what carrier are you with? I'm curious because I'm trying to do what you are doing; I need to find a cheap blackberry plan with a provider, but still be able to use everything I want (aka I need to find loopholes to use email and bbm and stuff :P)
    07-14-10 08:11 AM
    I'm sure if the provider catches on that you're accessing things you're not supposed to be then they will either charge you or reprimand you in some way.
    07-14-10 08:54 AM
    Ive never heard of this plan,what provider is this for?
    07-14-10 09:18 AM
    Ive never heard of this plan,what provider is this for?
    You can look here... Rogers offers it, but it's in Canada.
    http://www.rogers.com/web/content/add-ons/valuepacks
    07-14-10 09:22 AM
    Just subscribed to this plan, put opera mini on and have been using it without wifi, hoping its not charging, once I see no charges I'll install some apps.
    08-27-10 09:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD