Fair enough,
    I just often see people toting open source as a reason they use the software, but they don't touch the source, don't contribute to the projects, they just like the buzz word. in PC land many choose it because it is free, that was why I originally went to GIMP, it was free, but despite having access to PS, I still choose GIMP not because it IS open source or free, but due to preference.
    Until recently, my sister's had some trouble with CS5 working on her Macbook Pro. I do like GIMP because it does what I need it too. Also, it gets fairly updated, and I've found some plugins to get it to mimic Photoshop minus the bloat. I don't touch the source of the OS itself, but I got comfortable with compiling software I needed on my own. recompiling the kernel was a little scary at first, but that help function is awesome to have - especially when you don't want to check the wrong box(es).
    01-21-11 08:01 PM
    Let's think about this logically for a second. He clearly got a bad unit. Do you really think that the Android platform would be experiencing the type of success that it currently is if this was normal? Talk one hour and the phone dies? Emails just disappear? Scratchy audio? Yet, they're selling these phones by the millions. If you believe that this is standard, well...
    I agree based on info from the OP he probably got a bad device, but sometimes that's all it takes.... one bad device to create an unpleasant experience. It happens with ALL devices.
    01-21-11 10:57 PM
    Believe me, I tried my best to get it to work, and I spent a lot of time with the phone.

As usual, someone like this is too busy to deal with this, so it was in his best interest to just go back to BB.

My Son has a Droid X. He loves it, but he does say he misses the battery life of his curve. It's all what you want out of the phone. If battery life and Email are your priorities, personally I'd stick with BB. I can get what ever phone I want.

I do hate the fact that Verizon now charges a restocking fee if you don't like the phone. For that reason, you have to be sure it is what you want.

Again, as always, your mileage may vary
    You mean the curves with the crappy small low res screens, terrible browsers, and like 111mb app storage on the phone with os5 (85mb or so with os6 gsm curve)?

Lol. Battery life gone in one call? when ive talked for over 2 hours and only lost like 10% please ne believable.

Op seemed to take every crutch used on this site and put it in one post.

Now that my vibrant has froyo i just use wifi calling 90% of the time and it pretty much jalves the battery needed for calls, since they dont use the cell radio.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-11 10:59 PM
    Tucker is such a homer, that is all I have to say. Biggest troll on this site bar none....

I've put him on ignore since 3 months ago. But people quoting his posts make the ignore function useless.
    01-21-11 11:07 PM
    Fair enough,
    I just often see people toting open source as a reason they use the software, but they don't touch the source, don't contribute to the projects, they just like the buzz word. in PC land many choose it because it is free, that was why I originally went to GIMP, it was free, but despite having access to PS, I still choose GIMP not because it IS open source or free, but due to preference.
    Let me just say 1st that I'm not worried to much about the security for my business because the info I keep and send isn't harmful. If this info was harmful I wouldn't want it on an open source os. Why? Well with android being open it doesn't take long for the holes to be found. I'm going to use a small example using windows. Booting into knoppix or the like heck even dos your files isn't password protected any more. Now copy the sam file over to usb and run in JTR and you have the password. By have androids os you have the algorithm used to encrypt and cipher its data. I don't see how the android os can be safe. Now I'm not saying it isn't I'm saying I wouldn't trust it with harmful data.

01-22-11 01:25 AM
    However, the fact remains the android source code IS available; while iOS, and BlackBerry aren't. This doesn't mean I won't check out an iPhone when it hits Verizon's shelves, but the idea of being able to freely tweak the OS to the extent one can, when given the opportunity, is something I look for.
    To each their own. I deal with technology and computers all day every day at work. I prefer to do fun things when I'm not at work in my free time like ride motorcycles or playing rugby, not tinkering with the source code of a phone.
    belfastdispatcher likes this.
    01-22-11 10:28 AM
    I've put him on ignore since 3 months ago. But people quoting his posts make the ignore function useless.
    Sorry man...I don't put people on ignore. I just read their madness/crazy posts/replies to get a kick of it. Boggles my mind sometimes, but actually makes me feel better about myself.

01-22-11 10:42 AM
    To each their own. I deal with technology and computers all day every day at work. I prefer to do fun things when I'm not at work in my free time like ride motorcycles or playing rugby, not tinkering with the source code of a phone.
    Well, I don't tinker with a phone's source either, but at least it's there. There are those braver than I am who do this on a daily basis, as a means of putting food on the table. Google Cyanogen Mod. You would like guys like these on the development team for Blackberry because they're working constantly.
    01-22-11 01:07 PM
    Tucker is such a homer, that is all I have to say. Biggest troll on this site bar none....
    But as one tweet I received says...
    @Leedskiddo the trolls on crackberry are OUT. OF. CONTROL! You can't even post without getting flamed half to death!

Bold, I think we need to build a trolltroyer (Troll Destroyer). Any ideas on what the device should do to destroy the trolls?
    01-22-11 02:07 PM
    Bold, I think we need to build a trolltroyer (Troll Destroyer). Any ideas on what the device should do to destroy the trolls?
    I'm guessing it should have modern hardware, modern software, and be available on the market NOW. If it takes 6-8 months to hit the streets..then it's only going to make the "trolls" stronger
    01-22-11 03:38 PM
    I like taking pictures with my 'L's.
    01-22-11 03:47 PM
    Yeah, I use Linux. The only space Windows takes up is inside Oracle's VirtualBox. I don't game much anymore, and whatever I do game with, it's through WINE, or games available on all platforms. When I had my Storm 2, I used the program Barry - a nice little program to backup, and restore stuff. Not really a good way to update, and reinstall your BB OS software.
    LOL, I'm the reverse. Linux occupies a small spot under my virtualization software. I have a technet subscription so I have anything I can ever need or want (from an o/s / software perspective only).
    01-22-11 03:53 PM
    The OP should really learn to think for himself if he wishes to advance in life.

Imagine a few years ago when some hypothetical boss switches from a flip phone to a Tour so s/he can do email and browse. But the phone comes with a poorly-fitting battery door, somewhat lagging OS with a very long boot time, and then the trackball acts up. S/he says "screw it, I'm going back to a RAZR because all Blackberries are faulty. In addition, I would like all employees to take note of this and avoid blackberries like the plague since they are unreliable."

A little common sense goes a long way. Battery life does leave something to be desired on the larger-screened Androids but you learn to work around it. Get an extended battery (which one can argue you shouldn't have to do) and have chargers in the car and at work. But some of that is expected with faster processors and larger screens.
    01-22-11 03:56 PM
    I agree. My friend who after seeing my Desire Z went and ugraded from his Storm to one as well. However..he was having a nightmarish time trying to get it to work with his office Exchange server. Even the IT guys couldnt really be bothered and didn't know much about Androids. This Exchange issue is a known one with this particular phone..and while I found some workarounds thru XDA forums for him to try..he just didn't have the time and couldnt be bothered. So he took my other advice and installed Touchdown (email app) and his email problems were solved.

He was then able to finally sit back and enjoy his phone..without regretting leaving his BB behind. Had he not had someone with some experience to guide him thru it..i'm sure he wouldv'e dumped his phone and gone back to his BB, as would most other users experiencing those kind of issues. BB does email well..there is no disputing it. Other platforms can do it just as good (imo)..however it may take a little more in depth set up to get it that way, which not everyone's willing to do.
    Exactly. It's not that I don't want to try other platforms, it's that there is little benefit to moving and lot of downside. I am a very busy person, and the last thing in life I want to do, is tweak my phone. I don't care about business apps, I care about business communication.
    01-22-11 03:59 PM
    sorry you guys but that S1 just wore me down, slow, laggy, battery pulls, you know the drill. finally started just turning off randomly. i have long thought that most of RIMS's problems are/were build quality. having worked 4 years for a cell phone mfg i think i can say this with confidence. i jumped to the incredible over the holidays, miss BB os (go figure!) but this phone is da bomb. i'm going to hide out here for 2 years until RIM gets it's QNX right, then come back.
    01-22-11 09:37 PM
    That had to be a faulty device. Simple as that. It happens. I did jump over and I like my Incredible. I won't bash BB it is good for many people.
    01-22-11 09:39 PM
    Man these arguments keep going around in circles...it's like watching my dog chase his tail...as dumb as it seems it never gets old...

Regardless...if a BB device was faulty someone would've hopped on and made the same allegations and gave reasoning as to why them (or their boss) jumped back to Android or iOS...whatever, each individual is entitled to their opinions regardless...Android fans will always come to the rescue of their devices - as will BB fans - Apple fans...let's just agree to disagree. At least that way we can make some progress

As for Sunday - Packers/Jets - It's time for the two up and coming QBs in the NFL show their worth and make me some MONEY! ha
    01-22-11 10:04 PM
    Yeah, because who knows when we'll get some quality football back on the air, after the whole thing!
    01-22-11 10:30 PM
    My son had the same issues, he finally got another Berry.

01-22-11 11:03 PM
    Regardless of all the bashing going on, I'm satisfied with my blackberry and will run it to the ground. I don't need the newest anything either.

01-23-11 04:15 AM
    Regardless of all the bashing going on, I'm satisfied with my blackberry and will run it to the ground. I don't need the newest anything either.

And that's what matters most. It takes a little pride-swallowing to stay committed to one phone, or anything else in life.
    01-23-11 04:27 AM
    Must.....not.....allow.....anything......negative. ....to......be......said.......about......android. ....will.....counterattack.....with......comments. .....about......older......blackberrys.....like... ..Storm1.....or......budget....ones.....like.....t he....Curve
    01-23-11 05:01 AM
    Must.....not.....allow.....anything......negative. ....to......be......said.......about......android. ....will.....counterattack.....with......comments. .....about......older......blackberrys.....like... ..Storm1.....or......budget....ones.....like.....t he....Curve
    No need, the 9650 is already going on 3 years old if you count the Tour iteration, which you should since all the components except the pad, wifi and a little boost in memory were copied directly from it...
    01-23-11 07:02 AM
    While I have to use a Berry for work, I have to admit I've been looking at an Android device for my personal use. Apps in the Marketplace work better and far outnumber the apps in App World. Online sites such as Chase are also embracing the iPhone and Android OS. Want to make a deposit by using the app and taking a picture of the check? Sorry, Blackberry.
    01-23-11 09:24 AM
    They are crying now cause the service around our parts stinks for sprint and verzion.
    Is GSM any better in "your parts"? Just asking because GSM has better selection of devices anyway. T-mo has reasonably priced plans.
    Service coverage is always the number 1 consideration or should be anyway. Device selection is second.
    01-23-11 02:44 PM
112 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD