Believe me, I tried my best to get it to work, and I spent a lot of time with the phone.

As usual, someone like this is too busy to deal with this, so it was in his best interest to just go back to BB.
    I agree. My friend who after seeing my Desire Z went and ugraded from his Storm to one as well. However..he was having a nightmarish time trying to get it to work with his office Exchange server. Even the IT guys couldnt really be bothered and didn't know much about Androids. This Exchange issue is a known one with this particular phone..and while I found some workarounds thru XDA forums for him to try..he just didn't have the time and couldnt be bothered. So he took my other advice and installed Touchdown (email app) and his email problems were solved.

He was then able to finally sit back and enjoy his phone..without regretting leaving his BB behind. Had he not had someone with some experience to guide him thru it..i'm sure he wouldv'e dumped his phone and gone back to his BB, as would most other users experiencing those kind of issues. BB does email well..there is no disputing it. Other platforms can do it just as good (imo)..however it may take a little more in depth set up to get it that way, which not everyone's willing to do.
    01-21-11 03:29 PM
    Don't worry, all the Java will be stripped out of your Android or it will cost Google a lot of money to keep it in there once Oracle is done suing Google over it Stolen Source, I mean open source OS.
    Do you think that way everytime RIM is sued. They are no stranger when it comes to patent infringement. NTP ring a bell. Kodak? Visto? InNova? Moto? Saxon?
    My point being that in the tech world, these lawsuits seem to be part of the game.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-11 03:31 PM
    So who does eveyone think is going to win the two football games this weekend?
    I want a Bears/Steelers throwback match up - one for the ages
    01-21-11 04:31 PM
    Believe me, I tried my best to get it to work, and I spent a lot of time with the phone.

As usual, someone like this is too busy to deal with this, so it was in his best interest to just go back to BB.

My Son has a Droid X. He loves it, but he does say he misses the battery life of his curve. It's all what you want out of the phone. If battery life and Email are your priorities, personally I'd stick with BB. I can get what ever phone I want.

I do hate the fact that Verizon now charges a restocking fee if you don't like the phone. For that reason, you have to be sure it is what you want.

Again, as always, your mileage may vary
    How much is the restocking fee? I haven't had to go through this process, but I'm thinking my sister might.
    01-21-11 04:33 PM
    So basically what you're saying is a not broken Curve is superior to a broken/defective Android powered device?

I guess I would agree with that. Try to get one that works and then compare it. Do people really think all properly functioning Android devices get an hour of battery life, email just disappears, and the users of such aren't intelligent enough to realize that's not acceptable?

My current device gets about the same battery life my Tour did but does more including viewing full webpages vs mobile pages.
    01-21-11 04:42 PM
    So basically what you're saying is a not broken Curve is superior to a broken/defective Android powered device?

I guess I would agree with that. Try to get one that works and then compare it. Do people really think all properly functioning Android devices get an hour of battery life, email just disappears, and the users of such aren't intelligent enough to realize that's not acceptable?

My current device gets about the same battery life my Tour did but does more including viewing full webpages vs mobile pages.
    my storm 2 and incredible are about the same battery wise also on typical days, but the incredible leaves the storm in the dust on what it can do
    Last edited by howarmat; 01-21-11 at 04:59 PM.
    01-21-11 04:47 PM
    it weathered the storm, and then some
    01-21-11 04:51 PM
    I want a Bears/Steelers throwback match up - one for the ages
    Now that would be awesome.
    01-21-11 05:04 PM
    Homers are nothing new to this site... But this thread isn't about homers, or choir-preaching. It's basically one's assertion over Android's supposed horrible battery life. It's obvious the guy got a bad unit, or battery (if possible, check the manufacturer's date).
    But if that was the case, don't you think Sprint customer service would have identified it as such?

01-21-11 05:06 PM
    Well, Sprint, or anyone who's in the mass distribution industry will know bad batches are part of the territory. You'd like things to be run through the ringer during the QC process. But, for the sake of meeting a deadline rushing delivery happens, at times. I'd like for the Sprint people to catch these things, but more often than not, they exercise the good faith principle - in that, the devices sent to them aren't lemons. Well, at least 95-98% of them.

To add to this, in the class I'm taking now, we had a discussion over a similar thing, except it dealt with a defect in an air conditioning unit. The defect eventually caused the unit to cease working, thus, the person in question - a 71 yr old man, died from hyperthermia because of increased heat during the summer. The main question was, is the manufacturer liable for the man's death, because it didn't live up to its warranted guarantee(s). Or, is the man, or installer at fault for not contacting the manufacturer for the defect.
    Last edited by lssanjose; 01-21-11 at 05:13 PM.
    01-21-11 05:08 PM
    In the case of the phone, original poster appeared to relay that owner had contact w/sprint about the issue.

01-21-11 05:22 PM
    I had the same experience with the EVO. Android is inferior in email,messaging,battery life and productivity. Its a shiny toy that has a lot of apps. We dont care about apps we care about being able to use our devices when we need to and use it effectively. I dont understand why people who hate blackberry hang out at Crackberry.com. Its funny how we dont feel the need to hang out on the android forums
    01-21-11 05:38 PM
    Let's think about this logically for a second. He clearly got a bad unit. Do you really think that the Android platform would be experiencing the type of success that it currently is if this was normal? Talk one hour and the phone dies? Emails just disappear? Scratchy audio? Yet, they're selling these phones by the millions. If you believe that this is standard, well...
    RIM sells phones by the millions, too. Yet you continue to assert that they all suck anyway.

01-21-11 05:56 PM
    I had the same experience with the EVO. Android is inferior in email,messaging,battery life and productivity. Its a shiny toy that has a lot of apps. We dont care about apps we care about being able to use our devices when we need to and use it effectively. I dont understand why people who hate blackberry hang out at Crackberry.com. Its funny how we dont feel the need to hang out on the android forums
    Because a lot of us are former blackberry users who are comfortable here and still help out here and there... plus there's an Android subsection here.
    01-21-11 06:05 PM
    I'll say, that's a very dangerous assumption to make of Android. It's only an operating system, and thank God it's open the way it is, in that people can improve, or further customize it.

It's not so much we hate BlackBerry, we just want them to step up their game, what part of that is so hard to understand?
    01-21-11 06:07 PM
    I'd have to be dragged in chains back to BlackBerry: It's not open source, and it needs to get rid of its java-driven OS sooner, not later.
    Do you use Linux?

Why is Opensource important for your needs?
    The only time I truly care about Opensource is when I want access to the source for customizing, or because the project budget is so low that only opensource is an option.

I'm not saying I preclude opensourse softwares, I just don't understand unless you're a purist why opensourse becomes a requirement

01-21-11 06:09 PM
    Do you use Linux?

The only time I truly care about Opensource is when I want access to the source for customizing, or because the project budget is so low that only opensource is an option.

I'm not saying I preclude opensourse softwares, I just don't understand unless you're a purist why opensourse becomes a requirement

Yeah, I use Linux. The only space Windows takes up is inside Oracle's VirtualBox. I don't game much anymore, and whatever I do game with, it's through WINE, or games available on all platforms. When I had my Storm 2, I used the program Barry - a nice little program to backup, and restore stuff. Not really a good way to update, and reinstall your BB OS software.
    01-21-11 06:12 PM
    Do you use Linux?

The idea someone, like Cyanogen Mod - or anyone brave enough to compile their own ROM, will be able to do it. I understand guys like RIM have their own updates, but the timeliness of those is dictated by RIM.

The distribution I use for Linux is Slackware. It's maintainer, primarily Pat Volkerding is what many would consider the benevolent dictator. Unlike others, he doesn't really set a deadline for updates - only when those updates become stable. I like his idea, in that things work well, and are well-integrated. His practices are what you call ancient because he refuses to use GRUB, and sticks with LILO.

He also, by philosophy, forces users to take care of dependencies on their own. Some prefer this, many don't. But, he doesn't throw the hammer down, and locks down his distribution like Jobs does with OS X. If people want to use GRUB, they have that option. If they want to install certain libraries, despite his detesting of those (PAM being one of them), you can go ahead and do that. Want to use the newest kernel? You can certainly do that.

I can go on and on, but it's a matter of having that choice of what you want to put in your system.
    K Bear and JoelTruckerDude like this.
    01-21-11 06:18 PM
    CyanogenMod & TeamDouche >>>>>

I'm in love with how well they've done with Gingerbread Nightly series so far... and the lockscreen gestures are so convenient for me (not to mention cool as all heck), as well as the lack of bloatware, custom kernel, battery efficiency, etc... AWESOME. He definitely gets my money.
    01-21-11 06:22 PM
    The other nice thing about custom ROMs - by requirement, they leave out the google apps, if you don't want them.
    01-21-11 06:25 PM
    HTC devices have TERRIBLE (especially when connected to WiMax) battery life. I get 25 hours of heavy use with my DX and the email is extremely reliable, messaging is great and the device increases my productivity.

I find it funny how just because YOU can't use the device productively, don't have the messaging set up properly and bought a device that is known to have ****ty battery life and make these general statements. You are spreading false information on a website that is suppose to help people and inform them.

And obviously BB users care about apps. Why do you think so many people complained about limited app memory? Why do you think we see threads about people asking if iOS and Android apps will be ported to the PlayBook? Why the **** do you think there is an App World and CB app store?

You are not we. There are a lot of people in the same boat as you, but there are a lot of others that are not and are still loyal BB users that want more. Get over it. This is General Discussion and an Open forum, people are bound to express their frustrations wether you like it or not.
    01-21-11 06:34 PM
    Let's think about this logically for a second. He clearly got a bad unit. Do you really think that the Android platform would be experiencing the type of success that it currently is if this was normal? Talk one hour and the phone dies? Emails just disappear? Scratchy audio? Yet, they're selling these phones by the millions. If you believe that this is standard, well...
    Let's do think about it. I watched a couple of my friends struggle w/ a backflip, aria, and a motorola I don't know which. Wish I did. For them getting another device was the solution. 2 went to the evo and 1 got the X. They are crying now cause the service around our parts stinks for sprint and verzion. Is it the "standard"? I guess we have to solve what we are calling the standard. I would say that the standard is that android will put its os on anything that asks for it. After all its the device companies responseabilty to insure it has the hardware requirements to run it right? Kinda like trying to put xp on a 98 box.
    In here lies some of my problem. You device manufactor and your os with android devices are 2 different people. You just got to believe that your device builders did things right. Aight then pcs are the same but everyone would agree you have control over the build of your pc for the os being installed. You can add ram, hdd space, bus, cpu speed on and on. With a phone its just walk up and buy and you got what they decided to build.

01-21-11 06:41 PM
    The Android experience will be different for a lot of people. My younger sister has said it's not intuitive enough. Some people like the fragmentation - in the sense, they have control over what's put in, and what's taken out. At its core, the stock (and I mean vanilla stock - not things like Blur, Touchwiz, Sense, etc.) Android should be fairly optimal for different platforms. What will get tricky is if someone wants to use an app, or game requiring more from his, or her phone.
    01-21-11 06:47 PM
    Let's do think about it. I watched a couple of my friends struggle w/ a backflip, aria, and a motorola I don't know which. Wish I did. For them getting another device was the solution. 2 went to the evo and 1 got the X. They are crying now cause the service around our parts stinks for sprint and verzion. Is it the "standard"? I guess we have to solve what we are calling the standard. I would say that the standard is that android will put its os on anything that asks for it. After all its the device companies responseabilty to insure it has the hardware requirements to run it right? Kinda like trying to put xp on a 98 box.
    In here lies some of my problem. You device manufactor and your os with android devices are 2 different people. You just got to believe that your device builders did things right. Aight then pcs are the same but everyone would agree you have control over the build of your pc for the os being installed. You can add ram, hdd space, bus, cpu speed on and on. With a phone its just walk up and buy and you got what they decided to build.

Well, the thing with many PC OEMs is they slap their machines with mostly crapware - and in some cases, outright spyware (wild tangent, anyone?). Phone manufacturers are no different.
    01-21-11 06:49 PM
    The idea someone, like Cyanogen Mod - or anyone brave enough to compile their own ROM, will be able to do it. I understand guys like RIM have their own updates, but the timeliness of those is dictated by RIM.

The distribution I use for Linux is Slackware. It's maintainer, primarily Pat Volkerding is what many would consider the benevolent dictator. Unlike others, he doesn't really set a deadline for updates - only when those updates become stable. I like his idea, in that things work well, and are well-integrated. His practices are what you call ancient because he refuses to use GRUB, and sticks with LILO.

He also, by philosophy, forces users to take care of dependencies on their own. Some prefer this, many don't. But, he doesn't throw the hammer down, and locks down his distribution like Jobs does with OS X. If people want to use GRUB, they have that option. If they want to install certain libraries, despite his detesting of those (PAM being one of them), you can go ahead and do that. Want to use the newest kernel? You can certainly do that.

I can go on and on, but it's a matter of having that choice of what you want to put in your system.
    Fair enough,
    I just often see people toting open source as a reason they use the software, but they don't touch the source, don't contribute to the projects, they just like the buzz word. in PC land many choose it because it is free, that was why I originally went to GIMP, it was free, but despite having access to PS, I still choose GIMP not because it IS open source or free, but due to preference.
    01-21-11 06:55 PM
112 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD