I'll admit, I have thought of going Android. The only reason is I hate typing on my Storm2. I wish Verizon would carry the Torch, but that won't happen soon.

So the CEO at a company I service came to me and said he is dumping his BB Curve and getting a new phone. He came back from the Sprint store with a Samsung Epic.

After 5 days we learned:
    Battery life sucked, not just a little, but after charging all night, he talked to an hour and it died.

Email sucked. Messages would be delivered to the phone, show up on the screen, then the next send/receive, dissapear. Gone from the phone, and gone from the server, never to be found. Sprint just scratched their head.

Reception sucked. This may just be Sprint, but he had better service with his old curve.

Audio sucked. It was scratchy, and he said half the time he could not hear.

So I all this phone the Epic Fail.

After 5 days, he went back to the store and picked up a new curve and has never been happier. Email is very important to him, as it is to me. As a consultant, my company survives on email.

So, even though I thought I wanted to leave RIM, this experience over the last week has cured me for quite some time. I was even thinking iPhone with Verizon, but I don't think I want to take a chance.

Just a little info for you if you care.
    01-21-11 12:05 PM
    Oh battery life. I never fully appreciated thee until I didn't have you.

I moved from a 9700 to a Venue Pro, but I must say, having to watch the battery was a bit of a turn off.......
    01-21-11 12:09 PM
    sounds like a faulty phone to me
    Jude526 likes this.
    01-21-11 12:15 PM
    I'll admit, I have thought of going Android. The only reason is I hate typing on my Storm2. I wish Verizon would carry the Torch, but that won't happen soon.

So the CEO at a company I service came to me and said he is dumping his BB Curve and getting a new phone. He came back from the Sprint store with a Samsung Epic.

After 5 days we learned:
    Battery life sucked, not just a little, but after charging all night, he talked to an hour and it died.

Email sucked. Messages would be delivered to the phone, show up on the screen, then the next send/receive, dissapear. Gone from the phone, and gone from the server, never to be found. Sprint just scratched their head.

Reception sucked. This may just be Sprint, but he had better service with his old curve.

After 5 days, he went back to the store and picked up a new curve and has never been happier. Email is very important to him, as it is to me. As a consultant, my company survives on email.

So, even though I thought I wanted to leave RIM, this experience over the last week has cured me for quite some time. I was even thinking iPhone with Verizon, but I don't think I want to take a chance.

Let's think about this logically for a second. He clearly got a bad unit. Do you really think that the Android platform would be experiencing the type of success that it currently is if this was normal? Talk one hour and the phone dies? Emails just disappear? Scratchy audio? Yet, they're selling these phones by the millions. If you believe that this is standard, well...
    howarmat likes this.
    01-21-11 12:17 PM
    I guess the moral of the story here is: Use/don't use whatever your boss/friends/co-workers tell you to instead of trying something for yourself as their insights/observations are more valid than yours.
    lssanjose and rizzzzoooo like this.
    01-21-11 12:17 PM
    I guess the moral of the story here is: Use/don't use whatever your boss/friends/co-workers tell you to instead of trying something for yourself as their insights/observations are more valid than yours.
    It's his boss so he MUST be smarter, right?
    01-21-11 12:19 PM
    It's his boss so he MUST be smarter, right?
    One would think/hope...
    01-21-11 01:42 PM
    Something must be wrong with my DX!!! I have none of those problems.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-11 01:43 PM
    Tucker is such a homer, that is all I have to say. Biggest troll on this site bar none....

01-21-11 01:49 PM

After 5 days we learned:

thats usually the case for most people who jump ship to iPhone/android and then come running back lol
    01-21-11 01:52 PM
    Homers are nothing new to this site... But this thread isn't about homers, or choir-preaching. It's basically one's assertion over Android's supposed horrible battery life. It's obvious the guy got a bad unit, or battery (if possible, check the manufacturer's date).
    01-21-11 01:52 PM
    thats usually the case for most people who jump ship to iPhone/android and then come running back lol
    I'd have to be dragged in chains back to BlackBerry: It's not open source, and it needs to get rid of its java-driven OS sooner, not later.
    01-21-11 01:54 PM
    Tucker is such a homer, that is all I have to say. Biggest troll on this site bar none....

Typical. When you can't argue with what I say, you resort to name calling. But I will say this, 2.8 million members and I'm the best? I wear that as a badge of honor.
    01-21-11 02:12 PM
    Oh yeah, got to love these weekly BB vs. Android threads.
    01-21-11 02:16 PM
    I'd have to be dragged in chains back to BlackBerry: It's not open source, and it needs to get rid of its java-driven OS sooner, not later.
    Don't worry, all the Java will be stripped out of your Android or it will cost Google a lot of money to keep it in there once Oracle is done suing Google over it Stolen Source, I mean open source OS.
    FMB8900, Jake Storm and buwee like this.
    01-21-11 02:17 PM
    Don't worry, all the Java will be stripped out of your Android or it will cost Google a lot of money to keep it in there once Oracle is done suing Google over it Stolen Source, I mean open source OS.
    Apparently, you haven't written, or compiled any Java-based programs. There's a point of having java runtime environment in an OS, but a full-blown Java OS is another story.

You clearly misunderstood my statement about my objection to BlackBerry, or any OS for that matter to not be open source.
    01-21-11 02:28 PM
    My thoughts exactly. hahaa.
    01-21-11 02:32 PM
    LMAO!!!!!! I just saw that article haha
    01-21-11 02:51 PM
    Don't worry, Google has a lot of money.
    01-21-11 02:57 PM
    Something about Oracle I don't like. Maybe it was the fact many from Sun's team jumped ship when it came to OpenOffice, which eventually became LibreOffice?
    01-21-11 03:04 PM
    However, the fact remains the android source code IS available; while iOS, and BlackBerry aren't. This doesn't mean I won't check out an iPhone when it hits Verizon's shelves, but the idea of being able to freely tweak the OS to the extent one can, when given the opportunity, is something I look for.
    01-21-11 03:06 PM
    This thread is funny.

The device was faulty. Emails NEVER disappear on a full functional Android device. Scratchy audio is another sign of a faulty device. 1 hour phones calls killing the battery from 100%-0% is ANOTHER sign of a faulty device.

So basically, you are trying to bring down the entire Android platform because your boss had a lemon. Nice try.

And like Tucker said, Google has a ton of money. Android is here to stay.

Oops: No copied Java code or weapons of mass destruction found in Android | ZDNet
    01-21-11 03:07 PM
    So who does eveyone think is going to win the two football games this weekend?
    Last edited by valorian; 01-21-11 at 03:09 PM. Reason: typo
    01-21-11 03:09 PM
    Believe me, I tried my best to get it to work, and I spent a lot of time with the phone.

As usual, someone like this is too busy to deal with this, so it was in his best interest to just go back to BB.

My Son has a Droid X. He loves it, but he does say he misses the battery life of his curve. It's all what you want out of the phone. If battery life and Email are your priorities, personally I'd stick with BB. I can get what ever phone I want.

I do hate the fact that Verizon now charges a restocking fee if you don't like the phone. For that reason, you have to be sure it is what you want.

Again, as always, your mileage may vary
    01-21-11 03:12 PM
    So who does eveyone think is going to win the two football games this weekend?
    The Jets and Packers.
    01-21-11 03:21 PM
112 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD