Fear no more

You’ll see physical keyboards on BlackBerry phones for ‘a very, very long time' | TechRadar

Well, not sure how reliable this source is but hope it's solid
    09-13-17 07:16 AM
    I suspect you will see PKBs for a very long time yet.... there is a niche market.

And BlackBerry Mobile's ‎Global GM is pretty much saying they are going to take advantage of that niche by selling PKB phones to it that aren't "cheap" to buy.

Still not sure how they will sell SLAB phones..... as I doubt the security and updates cycle is going to off set overpaying on hardware like a PKB will.
    09-13-17 08:24 AM
    SOME of us who NEED PKB are willing to pay (or let our companies pay. ) quite a premium for a PREMIUM PKB handset. A niche BB has utterly dominated since Bold's sculptured KB. And, they've demonstrated willingness to defend it, legally, re: Typo. It's possible they might successfully position themselves into a "professional" environment... ?? (again. Lol)

I suffer no delusions, tho. The instant better profits are found in slabs, the niche pursuits are at risk. Up to Sammy to leave THAT market open, tho. Nvrkno.
    09-13-17 08:52 AM
    Fear no more

You’ll see physical keyboards on BlackBerry phones for ‘a very, very long time' | TechRadar

Well, not sure how reliable this source is but hope it's solid
    As long as BBMobile can get satisfactory sales, they'll keep building 'em. Works for me!
    09-13-17 08:55 AM
    Could it be possible that KEYone sales might push a manufacturer like SlabSung to develop a mid range PKB device to try to beat BBMo/TCL at their own game? Shouldn't be a huge financial risk for them right? I mean at least we would see more devices to choose from, which should be interesting to say the least.

Ps: I'd own them all!
    09-13-17 09:20 AM
    Could it be possible that KEYone sales might push a manufacturer like SlabSung to develop a mid range PKB device to try to beat BBMo/TCL at their own game? Shouldn't be a huge financial risk for them right? I mean at least we would see more devices to choose from, which should be interesting to say the least.

Ps: I'd own them all!
    If sales are astronomical, maybe.

Besides, they've already come out with the add-on keyboard for the Galaxy S phones well before the KEYone.
    09-13-17 09:40 AM
    If sales are astronomical, maybe.

Besides, they've already come out with the add-on keyboard for the Galaxy S phones well before the KEYone.
    But...but...that clip-on PKB looks uglyyy makes the phone look so unnatural. And no backlighting. And it doesn't match the glossy black of the frame.
    It's half assed imo, but yeah at least it's an option.
    09-13-17 09:43 AM
    But...but...that clip on KB looks uglyyy makes the phone look so unnatural. And no backlighting. And it doesn't match the glossy black of the frame.
    It's half assed imo, but yeah at least it's an option.
    And unless the KEYone sells a few million more units, that's the extent of the options that other OEMs would provide.
    09-13-17 09:45 AM
    And unless the KEYone sells a few million more units, that's the extent of the options that other OEMs would provide.
    Well interestingly there is a crowdfunding going on to develop a PKB mod for the Moto Z. At least the PKB isn't completely dead, as of 2017.
    09-13-17 09:59 AM
    Well interestingly there is a crowdfunding going on to develop a PKB mod for the Moto Z. At least the PKB isn't completely dead, as of 2017.
    Crowdfunding, that always works.
    MikeX74 likes this.
    09-13-17 10:00 AM
    PKB's are not all the same. PKB users, these days, are NOT the "techophobe neanderthals" the slab phreaks like to stereotype us as. SOME of us are truly seeking optimal typing and operational productivity from our handsets. We might even prefer a VKB to a lousy PKB that doesn't provide adequate experience. Bold knocked PKB niche out of the ball park. SamApple couldn't touch it and mostly didn't try. After witnessing how Typo turned out, they're not likely to risk legal/civil jeopardy just to chase a few of us and fail at the attempt anyway. BBM has this pretty exclusively to themselves, afaik, and might stand a chance at establishing legitimacy thru a "high end" niche of the niche. IMO. Might be what they're doing??
    09-13-17 10:04 AM
    Crowdfunding, that always works.
    I sense sarcasm. Well either way that mod looked like another generic landscape slide out keyboard, those are already available on some phones.

A few years back a company made the Typo 2, basically a Bold PKB for iPhone 5 or something, and BB sued the company lol they're so hard to find now
    09-13-17 10:09 AM
    Why doesn't TCL make a phone chassis with an interchangeable full screen module and a screen
    / PKB module. Plug and Play.
    09-13-17 10:45 AM
    Why doesn't TCL make a phone chassis with an interchangeable full screen module and a screen
    / PKB module. Plug and Play.
    That would be an awesome concept!!
    09-13-17 12:20 PM