Everybody here with their expectations and demanding reparations just makes me wonder ... what would happen if every iPhone user who ever experienced a dropped call made the same demands? I'm not talking 'antenna-gate', I'm talking all iPhones in everyday normal usage. My wife's 3Gs constantly drops calls in the same locations that my BBs never do. I.mean hey, the iPhone is first and foremost a mobile phone, is it not? Would a user not expect the class of mobile phones to be able to maintain a call where most other phones do, especially those lowly backwards antiquated BlackBerrys? By everyone's thinking here, they all should be due some kind of restitution. Regularly. In fact I think the carriers should add it as an itemized credit item on every bill.

This is not intended to bash iPhones. The iPhone is easily my second choice after BB. Just using it to illustrate how ridiculous and petty some of you are sounding.

Reparations, Jerry, reparations!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-11 02:25 PM
    Note: this is not an attack on any specific user or group of users.

My first point (which isn't an excuse but a general analysis of the consumer environment of today): When was the last time anyone had a product that worked perfectly 100% of the time in perpetuity? Today's technology is so fragile, thresholds are so slim, that nobody can truly make that claim. Every carrier, provider, manufacturer, etc. experiences these types of issues from time to time. Look at Sony and the hacking fiasco. Apple's day-of-launch problems when people can't create subscriptions for their new iPhones. And how about the general LACK OF QUALITY in every product ever produced since 1990.

My second (and more important) point: Just because you pay for something does not mean you are entitled to the privilege of using or owning it. Learn to appreciate the things you have, because some day you could lose them for a lot longer than two days. And try to really understand what is IMPORTANT and what IS NOT. If a family member disappeared unexpectedly for two days, you'd be understandably upset. So you lose your mobile email... is it really that big a deal when you put it into perspective?

You are not ENTITLED to a Blackberry (just like you're not entitled to a steak dinner, a car, or a vacation in the Caribbean) just because you spend money on it. You probably live in North America or Europe, that doesn't mean everything around you is an entitlement. Rather than crying about what you don't have, try to appreciate when you DO have. And let's keep in mind that people had no problem living their lives and working productively before the invention of the Blackberry, the pager, the computer, the TV, or the radio (in fact, they probably worked a lot harder and got a lot less for it than we do today).

Call your carrier and get a refund for the 3 days you had no service. That's all you're entitled to. Reality check: there are people (millions of them) who don't have any water to drink.
    Last edited by supraking; 10-13-11 at 03:15 PM.
    Media Warrior likes this.
    10-13-11 03:10 PM
    My second (and more important) point: Just because you pay for something does not mean you are entitled to the privilege of using or owning it.
    Um. Isn't that the point? I pay for service. I expect it to work. I expect to be able to use it. It's one thing to ***** if you're stealing cable from your neighbor and not paying for it and the service goes down, but I pay Verizon every month to be able to use my phone and it better work and if it doesn't, I'll be moving on. I've owned this S2 since the first of February 2011 and this isn't the first time BIS has gone down.

You are not ENTITLED to a Blackberry (just like you're not entitled to a steak dinner, a car, or a vacation in the Caribbean) just because you spend money on it.
    Again, if I pay for a steak dinner in the Caribbean, I better get a steak dinner in the Caribbean. That's exactly what PAYING for something entitles you to.
    MissJennell#IM likes this.
    10-13-11 03:33 PM
    If a person lost quite a bit of money/business because of the outage then I think they have a reason to complain. For you it may not have been that big of a deal but for others it is a huge deal. Just because you don't feel the need to complain (which actually you are) doesn't mean everyone else has to keep quiet.
    There is no compensation for circumstantional loss in business, you can't claim for loss of business bescuae a package/letter arrives late.

10-13-11 03:35 PM
    Ever got compensated for a delayed bus/train/plane?

10-13-11 03:37 PM

Yes. Northwest Airlines gave me a complimentary round trip ticket when I was stuck in Minneapolis airport for 9 hours due to a delay.
    10-13-11 03:49 PM
    Yep. On more than one occasion. Depends on the severity of the delay.
    10-13-11 07:08 PM
    There is no compensation for circumstantional loss in business, you can't claim for loss of business bescuae a package/letter arrives late.
    Sure you can. Happens all the time. Especially when you pay for service on time sensitive material.
    10-13-11 07:09 PM

LOL

I totally agree with this. I live in Toronto and take TTC subway to work. Honestly, the service is pretty crappy all year all. I paid the money that will take me from point A to point B without interruption. However, service interruption happens and we don't get compensate for that.

For Blackberry, this is the first worst outage that happens in many years. People complained and cursed RIM. I don't blame them but RIM got laughed at too.

How about when iPhone 4 came out and signal was dropping because of antenna-gate? People were pretty forgiving that Apple made mistakes. Yes, everyone makes mistakes. Get over it... RIM promised to do its best. Service is back and lets move on.
    10-13-11 07:45 PM
    Um. Isn't that the point? I pay for service. I expect it to work. I expect to be able to use it. It's one thing to ***** if you're stealing cable from your neighbor and not paying for it and the service goes down, but I pay Verizon every month to be able to use my phone and it better work and if it doesn't, I'll be moving on. I've owned this S2 since the first of February 2011 and this isn't the first time BIS has gone down.

Again, if I pay for a steak dinner in the Caribbean, I better get a steak dinner in the Caribbean. That's exactly what PAYING for something entitles you to.
    I think you missed my point. And, again, this post isn't really directed at the individual who posted above, but is a general statement based on that sentiment.

What I was trying to get across was that we (people in the west, really) are not ultimately ENTITLED to so many things, just because we pay for them. Money is a concept that only exists in the realm of our society, and it has different value everywhere. You are not entitled to an iPhone or a Blackberry no matter how much you think you are and no matter what you do for them. You're not entitled to shelter or food or supplies. You're not even ENTITLED to a happy, healthy life. You're simply lucky enough to live in a place where you have the PRIVILEGE of obtaining goods and services in exchange for your work (which is converted to money which you ultimately spend).

Now, obviously, if you pay for a phone, you get a phone (by law). You pay for data service, you get data service. But if you lose service for a day, or two, or a week, then take a deep breath and think about the luxuries that you have (even if you paid for them, they are luxuries). Try to be patient while people work hard to try and fix the problem for you. When you complain, you only demean yourself and show that you have the patience and understanding of a young child.

Now, make no mistake, we should ALL get compensation, AUTOMATICALLY from our carriers, for the downtime that was caused -- somewhere on the order of 10% of your monthly data plan cost. Are you still going to complain for $3.00?

So, to reiterate: in the grand scheme of things, just because you have access to something does not mean you have a right to it. Understand the difference between PRIVILEGE and ENTITLEMENT. You are PRIVILEGED enough to use this board to spread your opinions and feelings (which you are ENTITLED to), just like me

To lighten the mood!
    10-17-11 04:36 PM
    What I was trying to get across was that we (people in the west, really) are not ultimately ENTITLED to so many things, just because we pay for them.
    Again, I disagree. That's exactly what paying for something means.

You go to Wal-Mart and buy a bread maker. You go home, plug the bread maker in and guess what? It doesn't work. You check the bread maker. You verify that you paid the light bill and your house has power coming to it. You try a different outlet. You plug a working appliance into the outlet to check the power and no matter what you do, the bread maker just won't work. So what do you do? You take the bread maker back to Wal-Mart and either exchange it or get your money back. You are entitled to a working bread maker because you paid for a working bread maker.

Money is a concept that only exists in the realm of our society, and it has different value everywhere. You are not entitled to an iPhone or a Blackberry no matter how much you think you are and no matter what you do for them.
    Sorry, but again, if you pay for an iPhone, then you get an iPhone. If you pay for a working bread maker, you get a working bread maker.

You're not entitled to shelter or food or supplies. You're not even ENTITLED to a happy, healthy life. You're simply lucky enough to live in a place where you have the PRIVILEGE of obtaining goods and services in exchange for your work (which is converted to money which you ultimately spend).
    I understand sort of your point here. No one is entitled to anything without putting the work in first. I'm not entitled to stay in my house just because I said so. US Bank and Mortgage would have something to say about that in the form of a GTFO letter. However, I pay them every month on time for my right to live in my house, thus, I am entitled to stay in my house. I pay for a service, I get that service. I don't pay for a service, I don't get that service.

Now, obviously, if you pay for a phone, you get a phone (by law). You pay for data service, you get data service. But if you lose service for a day, or two, or a week, then take a deep breath and think about the luxuries that you have (even if you paid for them, they are luxuries). Try to be patient while people work hard to try and fix the problem for you. When you complain, you only demean yourself and show that you have the patience and understanding of a young child.
    Sorry, but I take offense to the child part. I personally don't like children and don't have any, but if none of us complained, how would anything get fixed? Your power goes out during a severe thunderstorm. If your neighborhood was the ONLY one to have a power disruption and no one called, how would your utility company know to fix your power? There's a difference between whining like a child and saying "Hey (insert company name here)! My (insert product name here) isn't working. What can you do to fix it?" There's absolutely nothing wrong with complaining to a company about their service or products. How else do you think they make the next generation of products better? They listen to consumers.

Now, make no mistake, we should ALL get compensation, AUTOMATICALLY from our carriers, for the downtime that was caused -- somewhere on the order of 10% of your monthly data plan cost. Are you still going to complain for $3.00?
    For some people, $3 is the difference between life and death. I've been there. My difference was about ten cents. Yes. A thin dime meant the difference between eating and not eating for 2 weeks. I don't blame anyone for contacting their WSP and getting a credit for the BB outage.

So, to reiterate: in the grand scheme of things, just because you have access to something does not mean you have a right to it.
    If you obtain it legally, then yes, you do. If you pay for a service or good, then yes, you do.

Understand the difference between PRIVILEGE and ENTITLEMENT. You are PRIVILEGED enough to use this board to spread your opinions and feelings (which you are ENTITLED to), just like me
    Again, most kids these days have that entitlement syndrome. The "I think I'm special because my mommy said so" syndrome where they automatically think they need a cell phone at age 10, a car at 15 and a brand new house at 18 with a job that pays $150k a year. That's life. I'm not entitled to anything I don't earn myself nor do I pay for. I'm not entitled to a new Cadillac unless I go out and buy one. I'm not entitled for front row seats to the Sharks games unless I pay for them. I am entitled to a roof over my head and working cell phone service because I pay for both monthly.
    Last edited by ColdSunshine; 10-18-11 at 08:45 AM.
    10-18-11 08:41 AM
    Buying a product it'd different to hiring a service, the product is for life and for the duration of the warranty you can get it replaced or a refund. No service will ever be 100% guaranteed(tv, electricity, telephone lines, insurance) as there's always the clause of the "act of god"

Point is, you don't buy a service, you hire it temporarely, and it's never 100% guaranteed to begin with.

10-18-11 08:54 AM
    I used my BB because it was reliable. You go through the crappy interface and the lack of apps and no multimedia for reliable emails. Yeah reliability means it is there when you need it. The whole point of a blackberry is that just like a strength of Android is cloud services. If those things don't sync for android then they deserve fault.

So this outage has been great for us! My CEO apparently is "sick" of RIM and we're moving to straight exchange. No more company issued brickberries. We get to use our own devices. Hooray for incompetence!
    10-18-11 10:32 AM
    Point is, you don't buy a service, you hire it temporarely, and it's never 100% guaranteed to begin with.

I know that. My point was that if you pay for the service you are entitled to it. The other poster doesn't seem to think so.
    10-18-11 11:01 AM
    I know that. My point was that if you pay for the service you are entitled to it. The other poster doesn't seem to think so.
    At no point do you get a guarantee of 100% uptime from any service provider, so no, you're not entitled to it. You pay for your mobile use but you are not guaranteed to have signal everywhere. It's the same thing.

10-18-11 11:22 AM
    At no point do you get a guarantee of 100% uptime from any service provider, so no, you're not entitled to it. You pay for your mobile use but you are not guaranteed to have signal everywhere. It's the same thing.

You. Are. Not. Getting. My. Point.

Nowhere in my post did I say it had to work 100% of the time. I simply said that as far as service goes, you are entitled to it IF you pay for it. I didn't say anywhere that it will always work. We all know it won't BUT if you pay for it, then you are entitled to it and when it doesn't work, we are entitled to either credit for days not used or something else like RIM giving away apps to make up for the difference or in my case, inconvenience.
    Last edited by ColdSunshine; 10-18-11 at 11:35 AM.
    10-18-11 11:32 AM
    Get a life. Shlt happens and just because you were without BBM, email and some other apps needing BIS for 12 hours doesn't mean the world is going to end. Texting, making phone calls and browsing worked fine so I don't see what the problem is?

I have been a loyal BB user for 3 years and I honestly don't even care about the outage.
    I am so sick and tired of people saying "I am switching to android" "I am switching to the iphone". Go switch and stop bltching already. No one cares if you are switching or not.

Why does everyone expect %110 from a phone?

That is my venting rant.

Cheers!
    Unfortunately, not everyone shares your point of view. The service you pay for should work as intended. Anything less in unacceptable.

And people that say they are leaving were thinking that long before this outage, it was simply the final nail in the coffin.
    10-18-11 12:31 PM
    It's amazing on here sometimes.
    You aren't getting your work email?
    Typical customer reaction: Man this stinks, I can't do work on my phone. I think RIM should make it up to me for my lost time and resources.
    Some people reaction on Crackberry: Deal with it! You are just a consumer, you are owed nothing! Buyer beware!!

Come on people, RIM makes mistakes, hold them accountable.
    10-18-11 12:37 PM
    True. Get a life. I think the reason why I complain is because of the frequency of outages. I've always felt like a few outages is one thing, but I've experienced quite a few in my time. Don't think I'm jumping ship yet though...
    10-18-11 05:22 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD