Dennis Woodside - AllThingsD

Walt Mossberg hosts an interview session at ALL Things D just last week with Dennis Woodside and Regina Dugan from Motorola Mobility.

Regina whom used to work at DARPA has a very interesting experience and work background that she's bringing to Motorola. Of particular the conversation got VERY interesting on the subject of authentication

starting @20:34

I Take a vitamin every morning, what if I can take vitamin authentication?!
    BOOM! With such a confident yet subtle rhetorical question there is more than meets the eye here.

All Things D11 - Dennis Woodside and Regina Dugan from Motorola Mobility-screen-shot-2013-06-01-12.57.02-pm.png

This pill has a small chip inside with a switch. It also has what amounts to an inside-out potato battery, when swallow it the acids in your stomach serve as the electrolyte, and they power it up, and the switch goes on & off. And it creates an 18-bit ECG-like signal in your body, and essentially your body becomes your authentication token. Yes this is true.

What this means is that becomes my first Super Power, I really want this super power. It means my arms are like wires, my hands are like alligator clips, when I touch my phone, my computer, my door, my car, I'm authenticated in first super power, I want that!

This is not science fiction, this was made by a company by Proteus, and they've developed it for medical applications, that pill CE stamped and cleared by the FDA, you can take 30 of those per day for the rest of your life?
    All Things D11 - Dennis Woodside and Regina Dugan from Motorola Mobility-screen-shot-2013-06-01-12.55.28-pm.png

Walt asks
    What happens does your heart change?

Does google NOW know everything I do and everywhere I go?

Maybe Dennis, let me ask Dennis, does Larry make you take this?!
    This is coming from her DARPA experience - which I'm thinking has incredible military potential, but deadly in the urban space. Those of you that watched the trailer for Elysium, I employe you to go thoroughly go through their website, especially to do the test for immigration to Elysium with the robot. This movie concept takes place over 200 years into the future, but with this pill authentication, in an urban militarized setting and the right political climate could occur in less than 10yrs. Sensors on every business building, and light post, and having your vitamin pill of choice augmented to have this kind of chip with vitamins that create the right environment for electrolytes in your stomach and you can be tracked or "identified" in the wrong way. At that point it no longer serves as an opt-in choice. She did mention "super power".

Considering BlackBerry's partnerships and management expertise is this a field that BlackBerry should enter, or even consider?
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    06-01-13 01:11 PM
    This the only video I coudl find in short time.Start from 3:00.Medical is one of the verticals Thor talks about.He is'nt gonna blab about what BB are doing in R&D that would be stupid so dont expect reveals all the time.

Last edited by RECOOL; 06-01-13 at 02:03 PM.
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    06-01-13 01:51 PM
    Ahh just found it.If you think BB are just standing around think again.At BB live they did the first ever video chat from car to phone.

A Conversation with Thorsten Heins: The Future of BlackBerry and Mobile Computing - YouTube

Watch/listen to that if you think BB will stop at phones.
    06-01-13 02:13 PM
    Oh I've done my research on BB mostly in M2M ... if you traverse over my blog history back in January or my posts here you'll find I'm amongst the first here to see that and mention it openly. However I wasn't aware - beyond the PlayBook launch at Adobe's conference with Lazaridis back in 2011 that they're working on something.

Many thanks for the reply's and updates! Most interesting.
    RECOOL likes this.
    06-01-13 02:30 PM
    Oh I've done my research on BB mostly in M2M ... if you traverse over my blog history back in January or my posts here you'll find I'm amongst the first here to see that and mention it openly. However I wasn't aware - beyond the PlayBook launch at Adobe's conference with Lazaridis back in 2011 that they're working on something.

Many thanks for the reply's and updates! Most interesting.
    My bad superfly just checked the avatar you know your ****.Its alwasy cool sharing stuff lets keep that going.Motorola are pretty cool company shame they bottled it with android.But their other divisions do some good stuff.

Listening to that convo with Thor he says BB are in discussions with companys and are coming up with ideas and things Thor never thought off so gonna be alot of silence.
    Last edited by RECOOL; 06-01-13 at 03:27 PM.
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    06-01-13 02:57 PM
    Interesting watch nonetheless, with some interesting ideas thrown around. Definitely looking forward to see what Motorola can come up with in the coming months. Thanks!
    06-01-13 09:22 PM
    Just found this looks like Motorola are still just doing the camera look before getting into blocks.BB are running.

QNX Medical - BerryFlow

Ha BBM going cross platform seems like a trojan horse bit by bit.
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    06-03-13 06:30 AM
    No thank you. Electromagnetic waves generated from outside the body can cause damage, much less ones generated in your gut! I'm fine with a card or phone or something external being my security token!
    06-03-13 09:56 AM
    How about biometric sensors hidden behind the touch screen? Is that plausible? Swipe up to unlock, and halfway, hold you thumb in position, and once verified, complete the gesture. It would be painless, and non intrusive, and maybe quick.

Or, using the camera as a pattern recognition. Like you can set the unlock screen to an image of a tattoo, bracelet, a unique hand sign, or something you have on you that can't be easily replicated or guessed. (similar to using facial recognition to unlock) which will be useless in the dark come to think of it.

I think there might still be many ways to explore this idea of authentication without using something invasive, while still being fast and easy. I think it's something that needs improvements on.

Like the lock screen on the iPhone and Wp8 is a 4 digit code that can be broken if someone happen to see you inputting it. BlackBerry's approach on BB10 is more secure with the ability to use alphanumeric passwords, but is a pita to use since you have to really focus on the keyboard to correctly input a long password. Which can be time consuming, or even frustrating when you're let's say walking. On the Q10 it is easier since you have a physical keyboard, but still time consuming.

Pattern input again, is time consuming if you have are someone who uses his/her device a lot.

So, here's hoping that BlackBerry or someone is working on something. Lol.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-13 11:49 AM