Hey, guys.

I'm new here, just have a question to ask.

I haven't had my BB for a long time. I got it only a few months ago. Within those months, I've subscribed for the actual BB service (I use a prepaid service) also only a few times, five at the most. I also only subscribed to the one day plan, i.e. after 24 hours, BIS is deactivated - you'll have to subscribe again, if necessary.

I know the biggest part of the BB is having a BIS service. The thing is though, until recently, I've been able to use all - and I mean, all: apps, services, and whatnot - through wifi. I was receiving all my emails, using the browser without having to configure it to the hotspot browser setting, messaging over BBM, using the Facebook app, etc.

I don't know what happened, but last week, things started to mess up. So, a couple of days ago, I called my network provider and asked. Although I insisted and let them know about my experience, they reassured me that I couldn't use much without the BIS. I know the latter is the normal or standard behavior. So, my question is, do you guys have any idea how I was able to apparently bypass it?

I barely know anything about BlackBerries. This is my first one, and from the moment I got home from buying the phone and setting up the wifi, until about a week ago, this was how I was maximizing my BB.

I don't know how possible it is, but I sure would want to keep it the way it was working. I can barely do jack right now. I can't even use UberTwitter. That is, without the BIS.
    06-08-10 03:43 PM
    I don't know much about BIS but I'm sure someone will answer it for you. As for Ubertwitter you can use it with wifi by going to the options and selecting your connection.

The link I provided is all the applications that can be use through wifi. Hope it helps.

Link:http://forums.crackberry.com/f65/wif...s-list-462539/
    06-08-10 04:02 PM
    If I had to guess, it was a goof-up on their end. They fixed the glitch, and now your phone is working as it's supposed to (by their standards).

Some apps have network settings to specify what service to use by default, but that without a data plan (BIS) a lot of stuff simply will not work at all.
    06-08-10 04:33 PM
    I don't know much about BIS but I'm sure someone will answer it for you. As for Ubertwitter you can use it with wifi by going to the options and selecting your connection.

The link I provided is all the applications that can be use through wifi. Hope it helps.
    Thank you.
    If I had to guess, it was a goof-up on their end. They fixed the glitch, and now your phone is working as it's supposed to (by their standards).

Some apps have network settings to specify what service to use by default, but that without a data plan (BIS) a lot of stuff simply will not work at all.
    I guess so, too. All I remember is setting up another wireless connection with the same kind of router I have at home in a different place. I don't know, I guess the phone got confused, lol. When I got back home, I couldn't connect neither through wifi nor BIS. I ended up having to reinstall the OS. That's probably when the glitch was fixed. Sucks.
    06-08-10 05:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD