Thank you Lee, Avt' and CL8' for that information. I am always ready to listen and learn.

You are suggesting that BES and the support software used for mail of these phones is comparable. Does that also apply to the consumer configuration?

What is effect of a new mail arriving at GMail or similar host?

Is there a notification that preempts other apps in active use, or does the owner have to activate Email to check for new messages?
    For Consumer email, Android and the iPhone offer superior email. They offer full HTML support that rivals desktop quality. I have never had a truncated email, ever on said platforms.

Security wise, they both support exchange out of the box. There are also many security apps available for free and paid as well. iPhone supports remote wipe at this time I believe.

Gmail integration with Android devices is flawless. Gmail is push and arrives instantly. Gmail is also push on the iPhone if you set it up through exchange (unless iOS 4 changed that?)

There is notification of all email, and many Android devices have LED notification as well. You do not have to activate notifications, they are usually automatically on. You can just customize it as much as you like.
    08-28-10 04:32 PM
    Gmail is push and arrives instantly. Gmail is also push on the iPhone if you set it up through exchange (unless iOS 4 changed that?)
    Got you, now I know they can both be set up for a timely responses. Much appreciated.

However, iPhone users must be connected to an Exchange server with Active Sync to see the benefit. The vast majority of iPhone users are personal users, not connected to Exchange servers, they do not enjoy the same benefits.

Does that also apply to Android users? Do only Exchange servers with Active Sync have a timely connection?
    08-28-10 05:29 PM
    Got you, now I know they can both be set up for a timely responses. Much appreciated.

However, iPhone users must be connected to an Exchange server with Active Sync to see the benefit. The vast majority of iPhone users are personal users, not connected to Exchange servers, they do not enjoy the same benefits.

Does that also apply to Android users? Do only Exchange servers with Active Sync have a timely connection?
    I'm happy I can spread the information.
    08-28-10 05:50 PM
    Well said, well said!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I second that as well. Well said!

08-28-10 08:50 PM
    Agreed.

I often think crackberry fans resort to calling their devices communication tools and anything else 'toys' to cover the failings of the product.

I've used Android/Iphone for work and it does everything just fine. You may not like the platforms but they are also great and secure communications tools when configured properly which is no different than BB.

The place where BB still gets a win in the corp sector is with BES providing a complete solution but then a lot now argue EAS over SSL can do the same and the answer is yes it can but the RIM solution is still a very good one for businesses.

The other place non touch screen RIM devices get a win is in battery life.

I'm a fan of RIM but see no need in perpetuating a myth about other devices not being communication tools.
    I wouldn't call the others toys, because they are all great phones. I find that the BlackBerry is a better communication tool because it allows you to quickly read, reply, and compose messages.
    I've tried both iPhone and Android. The browser and media was second to none, but the speed and efficiency at which it allows you to communicate is slightly behind BlackBerry.
    Want to read an incoming message? Just take it out of the magnetic holster and it's readily available. No pressing the Standby/Power Button, then swipe to unlock.
    Want to compose an Email? Press 'C'. Start typing, and send.
    Have info that you type on a regular basis or use often? AutoText is second to none. If someone needs my home address so they can pull up the directions, I have an AutoText saved for that. I can send it to them with a 5 letter word I created. No more typing out my address. Same for my cell, home, work, Email addresses, and fax #'s. I've created over 1,500 custom words, phrases, signatures, etc with AutoText. Nothing in my opinion beats it. Not even Swipe.

08-28-10 09:02 PM
    i must admit reading this thread made me think. what will we all say in 5-10 years or maybe when our children are virtually calling their mates? I'm starting to love my curve 2 but honestly this phone doesn't do anything that any other phone I have had didn't. i keep a cellphone to constantly be reachable and not constantly attractable. push notifications is good in a way but I am in to need for it personally. i just hate the bickering that goes on with phone comparisons.
    08-29-10 02:49 AM
    I enjoyed reading this thread. I have been wondering why people love BB email. To me it is low quality. I turned off the email to my Storm and receive it on my iPod touch, because I like the HTML version, in addition to the fact that I can control all my folders on Google from the iPod. I tried three of the apps that say they give the BB email the HTML look, but they do not work.

I force myself to use the Storm because I am stuck in a contract for it. I am eligible for upgrade but have found nothing that I want to start a new contract for. Well ... I am waiting for the S3 hoping it has a browser at least as good as the iPod/iPhone.

I complain a lot about no app storage on my Storm, but the truth is, I do not want many apps anyway. It just irks me that I can not have many, if I wanted them.

I have come close to bricking my Storm trying to understand how it works and WHY it works the way it does. I think it is a computer with a phone attached so why does it not work like a computer?

If I replace my storm with another device, I won't have anything to do. AH HA.
    08-29-10 07:02 AM
    I completely agree with you! Many will come back but time is needed to know after the 2 years to see how many will come back. Many have been back already.

08-30-10 03:59 AM
    man im getting absolutely fleeced on a 3 yr contract (canada) with curve 8330 - Can't wait to switch to an andriod/iphone soon.
    08-30-10 04:09 AM
    I don't bash rim, I just use my blackberry and I enjoy it for what it is and what it offers. Not a crazy apps fan either. Fact is, I'm not even a fanboy!

08-30-10 04:17 AM
    man im getting absolutely fleeced on a 3 yr contract (canada) with curve 8330 - Can't wait to switch to an andriod/iphone soon.
    I can't see from the mobile site, who's your carrier? And how many months are left in the contract?

08-30-10 05:02 AM
    I enjoyed reading this thread. I have been wondering why people love BB email. To me it is low quality. I turned off the email to my Storm and receive it on my iPod touch, because I like the HTML version, in addition to the fact that I can control all my folders on Google from the iPod. .
    I receive a lot of messages/emails on my BB and find the font fluff, bubbles, turn paging graphics annoying on a small screen. At first it was cool then it becomes distracting and tiresome. imo
    08-30-10 10:30 AM
    I can't see from the mobile site, who's your carrier? And how many months are left in the contract?

I'm on Telus.
    08-30-10 01:38 PM
    I'm on Telus.
    Me too. If you're more 24 months in (a year less left) you can renew a new 3-year contract with the full discount on a device of your choice. If you're past 18 months you might be able to as well.

If either applies, PM for the right phone numbers to call.

Just be aware that the HSPA devices (for the "new network") have slightly different plans. That would apply to some BBs (9700, 9100, 9300, and soon 9800), iPhone, and some Android.

08-30-10 04:27 PM
    I have had multiple blackberry smartphones, an iphone, and two Android devices. I have to say that I found the experiences equally enjoyable. I liked the multimedia of the iphone. There isn't a platform that is as feature rich and customizable as Android. And BlackBerry smartphones seem to fit in every situation. To be honest, there wasn't a time really that I thought my Blackberry device couldn't perform when I needed it. Its plain and unexciting, but RIM makes gorgeous handsets that are engaging in the least intrusive way. I'm still on the fence. I go back and forth all the time from one phone to a BlackBerry and then away again. Its been two months without one. This is the longest stretch that I have gone blackberryless in four years. But I have a winner in the EVO. I think I will be hanging on to it for a while longer.

08-31-10 01:31 AM
    My Bold 9650 excels at:

1. emailing
    2. messaging
    3. keeping appointments synced with pc
    4. making phone calls

My previous device, Palm Centro, excelled messaging, but that's it. It was a terrible phone, okay at emailing, sucked as a browser.

My wife's Incredible is excellent at browsing, is a really cool toy, but seems must okay for messaging and emailing and is less than okay as a phone.

For me, Blackberry is the only option that fits my needs.
    08-31-10 10:32 AM
    Jumping platforms is always going to be difficult for people. You like what you're used to and you have things optimized for the way you want it.

That said, I moved from Storm to Droid X on about 5 days ago. It took me only a couple of days to replicate all the old functionality and learn the new systems and tech. For the most part, you want to give a new system some time. Sometimes, you can catch on faster. Our IT guys helped me get Outlook stuff running. They've been playing around with TouchDown for months. The only thing I miss is SocialScope, but there is a decent replacement built in. Amusingly, SS just emailed me about beta testing their Android app. Funny how life works out.
    08-31-10 11:58 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD