You constantly keep hearing people talk about how RIM is done, and that everyone is jumping ship and going to either android or iphones. Well I am one of the people that feel into this group about 2 years ago shortly after the iphone 3g came out. Now here I am back to Blackberry and happier than ever. I think where people are bound by contracts for usually 2 years the market statistics might not be as accurate as they seem. I believe that you will see people soon that did jump ship to the iphones or androids but are starting to realize that they miss their blackberries as i did. so i guess well have to wait and see, but i definitely dont believe its time for RIM or its followers to panic, although they can't sit back and wait at the same time. anyways, just wanted to vent. peace.
    08-27-10 03:33 PM
    I agree with you 100%. I was a Blackberry 8703e user, then 8830, then Pearl 8100, then iPhone 3g, iPhone 3gs, then Bold 9700. SOOOO happy to be back. Even if it took a couple times. And like everyone else... anxiously waiting to try OS6 on my BOLD!
    08-27-10 03:47 PM
    couple of things to remember when you see "trolls" on here

1) we've all owned blackberries at one point in time. That is why we joined Crackberry
    2) We've woken up and went out, seen, and like what we saw. So we bought.

and we admit that Blackberry does a good job of media, browsing, and Applications... it's just android and apple do these better.

And while people go to Apple or Android and "come back screaming" to Blackberry it's also has alot to do with a comfort level. When you use a blackberry for YEARS and throw them a Apple which is admitted the easiest phone to use, they will be confused and out of place. You take an Apple user and throw them an Android, and they will be confused and OUT OF PLACE. It's a comfort level. I just chuckle to my self when i see "i had android/apple for one week and i was out of place and couldn't wait to come back"... of course you are out of place its not what you've been using for YEARS.....

anyway ... we feel the same way just in a different frame of mind.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-27-10 04:02 PM
    Very well said mjneid. For me, there's something about a BB that no other phone has. I can't quite explain it. iPhone was great and to be honest - did e-mail and messaging just fine. It's really a personal pref as to which one wins. The differences aren't miles apart IMO.
    08-27-10 04:11 PM
    couple of things to remember when you see "trolls" on here

1) we've all owned blackberries at one point in time. That is why we joined Crackberry
    2) We've woken up and went out, seen, and like what we saw. So we bought.

and we admit that Blackberry does a good job of media, browsing, and Applications... it's just android and apple do these better.

And while people go to Apple or Android and "come back screaming" to Blackberry it's also has alot to do with a comfort level. When you use a blackberry for YEARS and throw them a Apple which is admitted the easiest phone to use, they will be confused and out of place. You take an Apple user and throw them an Android, and they will be confused and OUT OF PLACE. It's a comfort level. I just chuckle to my self when i see "i had android/apple for one week and i was out of place and couldn't wait to come back"... of course you are out of place its not what you've been using for YEARS.....

anyway ... we feel the same way just in a different frame of mind.

IMHO, You have identified the primary issue.

BlackBerry does those things, but none of those are the reason we have selected BlackBerry.

The primary function of a BlackBerry is communications, everything else is secondary.

When my BlackBerry goes Buzz... I am presented with information that is timely and of value. The value may well depend on a timely response.

As an example, a particularly offensive post on CrackBerry generates a Moderator Alert. In seconds, that alert goes to a dozen Moderators and one or more of us can respond and resolve the issue before it impacts our members.

Nothing can compete with that.
    08-27-10 04:15 PM

BlackBerry does those things, but none of those are the reason we have selected BlackBerry.

The primary function of a BlackBerry is communications, everything else is secondary.

When my BlackBerry goes Buzz... I am presented with information that is timely and of value. The value may well depend on a timely response.

As an example, a particularly offensive post on CrackBerry generates a Moderator Alert. In seconds, that alert goes to a dozen Moderators and one or more of us can respond and resolve the issue before it impacts our members.

You got that darn right. I never profess that Android or Apple are the "communication tools" that Blackberry is. blackberry started as a communication tool, that is their bread and butter.

Apple was started as Media/Entertainment device. their bread and butter was Applications. and that is what they are good at.

Android was started somewhere in the middle with an Open Source frame of mind so they can build/do what you want with it.

Apple and Android is struggling to become what the "communication tools" that Blackberry are, just as Blackberry is struggling to become the "Media/entertainment" tool that Apple/Androids are.

08-27-10 04:22 PM
    Here's something to consider. In South Korea, a country with a population of about 50 million, they sold 200,000 Galaxy S phones in 10 days. I have no idea how many Torches were sold the first 10 days on AT&T, with about 90 million subscribers, but I suspect it's close.
    08-27-10 04:26 PM
    It was reported that the Torch sold 150,000 units in its first weekend.
    08-27-10 04:30 PM
    This is probably why I'm not connecting with my blackberry. Sure it's great for communication but I find myself deleting all those pushed emails that get to my phone lightning fast. It's annoying listening to that phone constantly ring in new emails. Maybe I should disable the accounts and just read them on my desktop rig but i got this blackberry and trying to make the most of it.

When I think smartphone, I thing of good computiing, web browsing and a good communicator..An all-in-one-device. I find my browsing experience on my bold sucks. Maybe OS6 webkit browser would help but this phone will never see os6. I'm kinda disappointed in this device. AT&T got the iphone but their coverage sucks so I'd rather stick with verizon because a communication device is only as good as the network. Any device AT&T puts out would work better on a Verizon network.

I would trade BBM for a touch screen and a web browser that I don't need Xray vision any day of the week...In my world instant messages and emails arent urgent and if they get there a little later, so what. Again, a good network means reliability of voice & data and the information will get there and regardless of the phone, calls won't drop..I want an overall good portable computing and communication experience. Not just something that texts good. Texting is more a kids thing anyways. I need more than that. That's what a smartphone should be. I just hope verizon could put out an iphone like device or even a Torch-like device.
    Last edited by zwoof; 08-27-10 at 05:54 PM.
    08-27-10 05:38 PM
    There will always be some people will jump to the "latest" thing. In the case of cell phones, the one with the bells and whistles and looks cool. But when it comes right down to it they usually come back to what works. You just can't beat a Blackberry for messaging and communication.
    Last edited by princebb; 08-27-10 at 07:03 PM.
    08-27-10 06:12 PM
    The blackberry works great as a messaging device and to be fair, I know they're well made which is why I went with it. But a lot of that too is the network the ride on. As for bells and whistles, I love bells and whistles and the BB smartphones fall miserably short. There's two things that keep me from an iphone is no removable battery and the carrier. I really didn't do my homework on the android and droid so I went with the blackberry and was told those other phones were no good and really didn't do my homework which is not the way I normally shop when it comes to electronics and technology. But then again, everybody has different ideas what a good phone is so next time, I won't rely on others opinions and use my own judgement.
    08-27-10 06:25 PM
    My BlackBerry's a world class communication device for all those times when using my laptop isn't practical. I don't need any gadget (e.g. Droid, iphone) that does communication less effectively.

08-27-10 06:51 PM
    I love RIM, but it's not looking too good right now.

Research In Motion Limited (TSE:RIM)
    Aug 28, 2009: $80
    Aug 27, 2010: $48.35

Torch was decent, but their next device needs to really turn some heads....

On a related note, now might be a good time to buy some of their stocks, it hasn't been this low since 2007
    08-27-10 07:35 PM
    I've never been one to say I love Rim, or my BlackBerry, or my Son's iTouch, or any tech tool/toy. I do like to use my BlackBerry for communicating - with work and friends. I have spent time with a friend's android and with my son's Touch so I do have an idea what each offers. I am simply not a touch screen fan. I also like the way Docs 2 Go premium works on my device and the way I can use idle moments to do work and spend time with my hobby - writing.

I have friends with all of these devices. We talk about differences and I am excited for them when they get something they like to use. The only thing I find annoying, and just rude, is the way some love to stir the pot with proclamations about how much better their device is, and how deluded and uninformed us poor BlackBerry "fanboys" are.

A blanket opinion stated as fact that "my device is better" is untrue regardless of the device. What is true is that all devices have strengths and weaknesses, and what is important is that each of us find the handheld that works best for our individual needs.

I have occasionally asked "what is your real point?" To some of the most annoying offenders; those who show up, often beating their chests, with "mine is better" proclamations and ridicule for those who disagree with them. I really do know what the point is, but am amazed at their boorish behavior none the less. It would be comical if I didn't feel so sorry for them embarrassing themselves. Really, what kind of person goes to someone else's house and criticizes the decor? Shouldn't we all just celebrate the technology that we are having a blast with - whichever device we use?
    08-27-10 09:33 PM
    This is probably why I'm not connecting with my blackberry. Sure it's great for communication but I find myself deleting all those pushed emails that get to my phone lightning fast. It's annoying listening to that phone constantly ring in new emails. Maybe I should disable the accounts and just read them on my desktop rig but i got this blackberry and trying to make the most of it.

When I think smartphone, I thing of good computiing, web browsing and a good communicator..An all-in-one-device. I find my browsing experience on my bold sucks. Maybe OS6 webkit browser would help but this phone will never see os6. I'm kinda disappointed in this device. AT&T got the iphone but their coverage sucks so I'd rather stick with verizon because a communication device is only as good as the network. Any device AT&T puts out would work better on a Verizon network.

I would trade BBM for a touch screen and a web browser that I don't need Xray vision any day of the week...In my world instant messages and emails arent urgent and if they get there a little later, so what. Again, a good network means reliability of voice & data and the information will get there and regardless of the phone, calls won't drop..I want an overall good portable computing and communication experience. Not just something that texts good. Texting is more a kids thing anyways. I need more than that. That's what a smartphone should be. I just hope verizon could put out an iphone like device or even a Torch-like device.
    9650 will see os 6! Don't know if its going to compete with android but to say its not going to see the update is crazy
    08-27-10 09:46 PM
    I'm up for a new phone at the end of the year so I hope I at least get to try OS6 before then.

08-27-10 10:49 PM

Can't compete with what? Push email? You can do the same thing on an iPhone and Android device. I think Nokia and WebOS offer push as well?
    08-28-10 11:29 AM
    The truth is, I have never seen either an iPhone or Droid in use for Email. Games and stuff yea...

I base those observations on what works here with default settings and the statements from the experts, Mike Lazaridis.
    08-28-10 12:01 PM
    I've never been one to say I love Rim, or my BlackBerry, or my Son's iTouch, or any tech tool/toy. I do like to use my BlackBerry for communicating - with work and friends. I have spent time with a friend's android and with my son's Touch so I do have an idea what each offers. I am simply not a touch screen fan. I also like the way Docs 2 Go premium works on my device and the way I can use idle moments to do work and spend time with my hobby - writing.

I have friends with all of these devices. We talk about differences and I am excited for them when they get something they like to use. The only thing I find annoying, and just rude, is the way some love to stir the pot with proclamations about how much better their device is, and how deluded and uninformed us poor BlackBerry "fanboys" are.

A blanket opinion stated as fact that "my device is better" is untrue regardless of the device. What is true is that all devices have strengths and weaknesses, and what is important is that each of us find the handheld that works best for our individual needs.

I have occasionally asked "what is your real point?" To some of the most annoying offenders; those who show up, often beating their chests, with "mine is better" proclamations and ridicule for those who disagree with them. I really do know what the point is, but am amazed at their boorish behavior none the less. It would be comical if I didn't feel so sorry for them embarrassing themselves. Really, what kind of person goes to someone else's house and criticizes the decor? Shouldn't we all just celebrate the technology that we are having a blast with - whichever device we use?

Well said, well said!

08-28-10 12:05 PM
    Can't compete with what? Push email? You can do the same thing on an iPhone and Android device. I think Nokia and WebOS offer push as well?
    Agreed.

I often think crackberry fans resort to calling their devices communication tools and anything else 'toys' to cover the failings of the product.

I've used Android/Iphone for work and it does everything just fine. You may not like the platforms but they are also great and secure communications tools when configured properly which is no different than BB.

The place where BB still gets a win in the corp sector is with BES providing a complete solution but then a lot now argue EAS over SSL can do the same and the answer is yes it can but the RIM solution is still a very good one for businesses.

The other place non touch screen RIM devices get a win is in battery life.

I'm a fan of RIM but see no need in perpetuating a myth about other devices not being communication tools.
    08-28-10 12:29 PM
    The truth is, I have never seen either an iPhone or Droid in use for Email. Games and stuff yea...

I base those observations on what works here with default settings and the statements from the experts, Mike Lazaridis.
    Push email works great on other devices as well. Other platforms can even view HTML email just like it is on a computer. Other platforms have basic folder support out of the box.
    08-28-10 12:49 PM
    Push email works great on other devices as well. Other platforms can even view HTML email just like it is on a computer. Other platforms have basic folder support out of the box.
    Yes push email does work great on other devices but not as great as the Blackberry. I have experienced using Android and the iPhone as well as a few Nokia phones throughout high school simply because I needed a smartphone for various club work and with all honest Blackberry has the fastest push email (when the network wasnt down). Coupled with the amazing keyboards they have been pushing out, it makes the experience and efficiency of work even greater.
    08-28-10 02:36 PM
    Yes push email does work great on other devices but not as great as the Blackberry. I have experienced using Android and the iPhone as well as a few Nokia phones throughout high school simply because I needed a smartphone for various club work and with all honest Blackberry has the fastest push email (when the network wasnt down). Coupled with the amazing keyboards they have been pushing out, it makes the experience and efficiency of work even greater.
    BES vs EAS and it's a draw in performance terms.

It's not any quicker unless the service only offers pull which really isn't the case these days.

I'm not suggesting anyone is better but in performance terms they match each other.

It then comes down to personal choice and personally I like solid keyboards so it's either BB or Android. I use a BB for work but can choose from any of them.
    08-28-10 03:05 PM
    Thank you Lee, Avt' and CL8' for that information. I am always ready to listen and learn.

You are suggesting that BES and the support software used for mail of these phones is comparable. Does that also apply to the consumer configuration?

What is effect of a new mail arriving at GMail or similar host? Does that also apply to a POP3 or IMAP server?

Is there a notification that preempts other apps in active use, or does the owner have to activate Email to check for new messages?
    08-28-10 04:23 PM
    My email comes instantly. When I had my iPhone 3GS my email came in before my Bold 9000. My Droid/ Droid X receives everything right away. As fast/faster than a BB.
    08-28-10 04:26 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD