Hi All

Got all my numbers saved on sim card from old nokia. When inserted into blackberry they all show as work.

How can i easily switch them to mobile ?

I also have double listings for most names work and home which i no longer require.

Any ideas how to sort this as doing individually would take an age ??

Cheers
    07-31-10 04:13 AM
    It's been my experience that individually is the only way to do it. I may be wrong and maybe someone else will correct me if I am. I've had to go into each contacts edit option and put the number in the right place. I guess you'll have something to do over your morning cup of coffee
    07-31-10 06:48 AM
    There's no easy way to convert them. You have double entries because the SIM only allows one number per name. If you had an entry for work and and entry for home, that turns into two entries in the BlackBerry. If you are syncing with Outlook, you can export from Outlook into a CSV, read the CSV into Excel, manipulate the entries in Excel, then write them as a CSV, read that into Outlook, and sync back to your BlackBerry. Once you're done you'll never want to store numbers on a SIM again.
    07-31-10 06:54 AM
    JeffH has given you the quickest and easiest way to solve the problem. It'll still take a bit of time to tidy up all your contacts (depending on how many you have) but at least you'll be able to do it on the confort of the PC/laptop.
    07-31-10 09:29 AM
    How do i sink it with outlook, do you mean the Outlook Express for emails ?

I use thunderbird, still a little confused guys tbh.

I thought it was always better to save to sim as when you change phones you transfer numbers etc ?

So all my contacts are still on my sim and i nedd them on my mob ? How do i check/transfer ???

Cheers
    07-31-10 01:02 PM
    Oh and whats a csv ?
    07-31-10 01:11 PM
    Not that I'm a sim card expert but the sim card, as noted, only contains very limited info and it is not like a Contact or address list where peoples' phone numbers, addresses, email, etc are contained - it is merely a name and phone number. So you can move it between phones but it does not contain a lot of info that "modern/smartphones" now use for Contacts.

CSV is a COMMA Separate file. It is a means of creating a standard format

It would be something like:

jim, jones, 99 5th Ave, 212-123-4567,email@whatever.com,more info
    kathy, jones, 123 Cedar, 213-999-1111,,more info (where in this one there is NO email address so you have two commas, denoting missing info)

In excel, those separate FIELDS would be in columns making them easier to see/edit as they line up.
    07-31-10 01:38 PM
    ...I thought it was always better to save to sim as when you change phones you transfer numbers etc ?...
    If you are transferring between BlackBerry devices, the simplest solution is to backup the old BlackBerry using Desktop Manager, then restore the backup on your new BlackBerry. That gets all you personal databases. It will not move the OS or apps.
    07-31-10 03:03 PM
    Nothing happens when i sync with thunderbird -

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/8900...erbird-506279/
    07-31-10 03:23 PM
    I found an app known as ABC Amber. It was free. It allows you to read your .ipd file and amend as necessary, then restore back to your device. Works on the same principle as the .csv in excel does.
    07-31-10 06:01 PM
    I found an app known as ABC Amber. It was free. It allows you to read your .ipd file and amend as necessary, then restore back to your device. Works on the same principle as the .csv in excel does.
    Awesome mate. Worked a treat, great app.
    08-01-10 01:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD