02-14-12 12:35 PM
45 12
tools
    Install the OS's like I posted above and the phones will be fine. Its a shame you traded a 9900 for a 9780. Another thing to keep in mind is having that many phones with the same problem indicates a faulty app or user error. Instead of saying all Blackberry's are faulty, I would "Wonder what they all had in common".
    We will be returning the 9360 tomorrow, and if the handset it is exchanged for shows signs of any faults I will try wiping the phone and re-installing the OS.

The sales assistants in my service provider's store aren't the most helpful bunch, and were very argumentative over my 9900's issues, so I don't expect them to be too happy about my girlfriend's handset also being returned, but I refuse to put up with a faulty piece of kit that should work perfectly straight out of the box.
    02-12-12 02:13 PM
    At last a helpful response!

I did read that wiping the device and reinstalling everything may be the way to go, but it seems like a lot to have to do just to get a brand new phone working. God help any smart phone owners who don't know how to do any of the above.
    [...]
    Don't get me wrong people, I LOVE my Blackberry, when it's working how it should.
    You're welcome.
    Doing a fresh install is a 30-40 minutes job, and may avoid hours of phone or to go to your dealer. You may also search the forum for the "debrick method" that has solved many problems. I do agree it's not a pleasure to have to do so on a brand new device, but IMO, it worse a try.

Keep on loving BB, and ask for RMA if the devices you get do not function as they should.
    02-12-12 02:20 PM
    Yea, why is the iphone always the answer to every BlackBerry issue? Why would you want an iphone? That device had antennagate with calls dropping all over the place unless you held the slab a certain way.
    Annnnnd your point? I've never dropped a call in a case, out of a case, regardless of how I held it. It was body chemistry and not everyone had that issue. And yes - if some people held the phone in a certain way it could affect signal - so hold it differently. I remember when that all happened I didn't even have an iPhone at all and I emulated the same drop in signal by gripping the phone in that corner on my SGS and my HTC. Apple just got more press for Steve's (I thought funny) advice.

I still bought an iPhone. Shock. I know.

To flip it on you, some 9900's seem to brick pretty easy therefore all 9900's are crap.

Sounds ridiculous when your logic is turned back on you doesn't it?

Sent from my brain using Tapatalk
    02-12-12 03:01 PM
    Yea, why is the iphone always the answer to every BlackBerry issue? Why would you want an iphone? That device had antennagate with calls dropping all over the place unless you held the slab a certain way.
    Oh and I was addressing a post that specifically brought up iPhone as the numbers they were saying about battery isn't what the two 4's in our house have so there may be an issue with the phone.

That's the only reason I mentioned it, Tonis

02-12-12 03:03 PM
  5. T
    No, I was merely responding to the op's statement -- it seems to get repeated whenever someone posts an issue with a BlackBerry -- about how he might have to switch to (or should have gone with) an iphone. It's like some silly threat, spoken in a whiny voice, lol: "I'm having a problem, and if it doesn't stop I'm going to the iphone!" Oh, no, please don't go ...
    Last edited by Tnis; 02-12-12 at 03:16 PM.
    TgeekB likes this.
    02-12-12 03:12 PM
    Ah okay - sorry! I've had a crap week and well...thought it was towards me and sounded snappier than intended. Sorry. :-)

02-12-12 04:54 PM
    I hope it goes well for you. One thing you could do is get her a 9900 and give her the 9780. Just thinkin out loud.
    02-12-12 05:45 PM
    I hope it goes well for you. One thing you could do is get her a 9900 and give her the 9780. Just thinkin out loud.
    You know, I was thinking the same thing. Though if he dropped it, it might be a little jerkish.
    02-12-12 05:51 PM
    Well, judging by her 9360 selection, the model isn't important. However, maybe just getting her the 9900 and waiting for her to come up with the swap idea might be best.
    02-12-12 06:00 PM
    Its hard to say really as I think your partially right that these new os 7 devices have inherrant faults. My 9900 has been great but only works without fault now thanks to some fiddling and customising as I know my way around balckberries. My friend has just got a 9810 and its a nightmare for him- keeps crashing and dropping signal so he's just gonna send it back- many people new to a bb will do the same :-(
    02-13-12 03:09 AM
    I bought a 9930 the day it was released on Verizon. Flawless. I just recently picked up a 9850 on Verizon. Flawless so far.

I think some people are using bad apps. I have seen issues with a couple of apps on Os7. Apps that are "compatible" and yet cause a problem.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    02-13-12 06:16 AM
    None of the blackberries, or the new one I have now, have EVER been problematic. It's apps, or people's careless actions, that result in faulty devices, or damaged ones. RIM isn't to blame.
    02-13-12 06:48 AM
    Every cell phone platform - BlackBerry, Android, iPhone - will have problems and I'm sure there are some phones that will have their own glitches (maybe they were dropped during transport or something, who knows? Lol). I don't think RIM is to blame. Perhaps try going to a different store, or speak to the person from whom you purchased the phone. At least you will get an easy return on your girlfriend's Curve, since you just got it. I've heard great things about the 99xx - try getting another one and see what happens. They look like beautiful phones!
    02-13-12 12:52 PM
    Hello everyone, seems I started a proper debate

My girlfriend went back to the store today and exchanged her 9360, for another.

I've updated the OS, put all of her data on there, and I'm currently updating the apps, BBM, BB Protect, Facebook, etc. This is when the last one had issues, the processor just doesn't seem to be able to handle more than one thing being thrown at it. It's taking an age just upgrade BBM.

The sales guys at the store we use are pretty poor, when I had issues with my 9900 they kept feeding me the same BS, telling me that no one else had brought their phone back. Then on returning for the second time with my second 9900, one of them admitted that several people had brought theirs back due to problems with poor battery performance and a range of other issues. They're almost scared to admit that there are issues with Blackberrys. I know a guy who works for the company, Cable & Wireless, who has made it clear that they know the latest Blackberry handsets are problematic.
    02-13-12 01:53 PM
    Here we go, the damn thing has been trying to install the latest BBM for ages, it's saying: Installing...4.6/4.6MB and just hanging there.
    02-13-12 01:59 PM
    My 9930 has been running without a problem... I have a multitude of apps and customizations... emails, SMS etc, and I have very decent battery life every day...usually 3.5 per ..BUT - I always close an app, wifi and buetooth when finished and reset nightly...
    02-13-12 02:52 PM
    I really wish my 9900 hadn't had the battery and signal problems because it was by far the best phone I had ever used. Maybe they'll get it right with model that supersedes it.
    02-13-12 03:35 PM
    I really wish my 9900 hadn't had the battery and signal problems because it was by far the best phone I had ever used. Maybe they'll get it right with model that supersedes it.
    Its "Firmware", not the phone.
    02-13-12 05:18 PM
    Hello everyone, seems I started a proper debate

My girlfriend went back to the store today and exchanged her 9360, for another.

I've updated the OS, put all of her data on there, and I'm currently updating the apps, BBM, BB Protect, Facebook, etc. This is when the last one had issues, the processor just doesn't seem to be able to handle more than one thing being thrown at it. It's taking an age just upgrade BBM.

The sales guys at the store we use are pretty poor, when I had issues with my 9900 they kept feeding me the same BS, telling me that no one else had brought their phone back. Then on returning for the second time with my second 9900, one of them admitted that several people had brought theirs back due to problems with poor battery performance and a range of other issues. They're almost scared to admit that there are issues with Blackberrys. I know a guy who works for the company, Cable & Wireless, who has made it clear that they know the latest Blackberry handsets are problematic.
    I'm not trying to be patronizing or condescending here, but I don't know exactly what you're doing or how you're trying to do it, so please bear with me. My BB's have been good to me, but I have been driven nuts by other bits of technological wizardry, so I can appreciate your frustration.

First, there is at least one Google app (sorry, I don't remember exactly which one) who someone identified as a likely culprit when her second 9930 bricked after installing it -- so misbehaving third-party apps can be one cause of problems with these phones. I also have personally had Facebook slow my phone down, especially when it's trying to catch up and refresh all my feeds after a new install. I have to just put it down and let it do its thing for a few minutes, and eventually it gets back to normal.

Second, it's not clear, but it looks like you may be trying to install multiple apps at the same time, or possibly run other apps while doing an install? Apologies if I misunderstood. App installations are pretty resource-intensive on these things, and it is very true that BB's don't like to be doing anything else while you're installing something. It's just the nature of the beast, and it has a lot to do with encryption and BB's security layers (also the reason why they take so long to boot). Other than installs, I've had no problems having multiple apps running concurrently. But while I'm installing, I do one at a time and don't try to do anything else until it's done and rebooted.

The fact that you seem to be having very similar issues now on the same devices strongly suggests to me that something in your setup or mix of apps is not getting along. Could be an app, could be a degraded 4G tower near where you're located, could be some piece of crapware from your carrier, could be any number of things that aren't the fault of the phone itself. Or you're just really unlucky and have gotten two bad phones.

One other thing that may sound like a stretch but really isn't is to check your SD card. Just for grins, pull the battery and remove the card, then reboot and see if you have the same issues. It isn't common, but I have seen more than once where a corrupted SD card causes havoc in places that one would never expect, and either a reformat (back it up first!) or a replacement cured it.

Hope some of this helps, and hope you get that thing straightened out.
    02-13-12 06:36 PM
    1. test out the phone hardware before anything else. as i posted above.
    2. don't bite off more than the phone can chew. slow and steady wins the race here. update the os, get service books in, break in the battery for a few days by fully discharging recharging. add apps slowly: one at a time. install. use it. use phone. no problems for a day, backup and add next one. over a period of days. as each one is ok, add the next. at most 2 a day, 1 am 1 pm testing using the phone and other apps between next app install. then if something acts up, you will know precisely what it is and can post specifically.
    02-14-12 12:35 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD