Today began with the re-occurrence of the "Do Not Disturb" function on my Key One Black Edition turning on by itself, where i have to constantly check if it's turned itself back on after I have turned it off. This is alongside of a "not-so-user-friendly" Android OS compared to BB10 or anything earlier. Then I read reviews on this veritable sight about Key 2 PKB chiclets falling off like the teeth off of an aging primate. Ever since my first BB 9800, there never was a later iteration of Blackberry devices that wasn't (at the minimum) as good as the one it's replacing both in quality, functionality and aesthetics. Priv, with all its flaws was a one good piece of work. Add this to lack of timely support (John Chen once replied to my complaint message past midnight a few years back). Today? No one to call! Is this all I'm left to live with in the name of sticking with what should be world's leading brand in PKB mobile devices? Now it's not even known if Key3 is ever coming if they can get Key2 right!
    Today I reached the point at which the contemplation of an alternative became ever-so real to me. I would put up with Android if the BB device quality was optimal. But the dual misery of a not-so-intuitive Android (virtual voicemail a dream) and a device which the future of its next-generations is uncertain is looking like too much of a price to pay. Anyone knows any brand with a PKB and non-Android OS? It cant be worse.
    03-16-19 11:30 PM
    Today began with the re-occurrence of the "Do Not Disturb" function on my Key One Black Edition turning on by itself, where i have to constantly check if it's turned itself back on after I have turned it off. This is alongside of a "not-so-user-friendly" Android OS compared to BB10 or anything earlier. Then I read reviews on this veritable sight about Key 2 PKB chiclets falling off like the teeth off of an aging primate. Ever since my first BB 9800, there never was a later iteration of Blackberry devices that wasn't (at the minimum) as good as the one it's replacing both in quality, functionality and aesthetics. Priv, with all its flaws was a one good piece of work. Add this to lack of timely support (John Chen once replied to my complaint message past midnight a few years back). Today? No one to call! Is this all I'm left to live with in the name of sticking with what should be world's leading brand in PKB mobile devices? Now it's not even known if Key3 is ever coming if they can get Key2 right!
    Today I reached the point at which the contemplation of an alternative became ever-so real to me. I would put up with Android if the BB device quality was optimal. But the dual misery of a not-so-intuitive Android (virtual voicemail a dream) and a device which the future of its next-generations is uncertain is looking like too much of a price to pay. Anyone knows any brand with a PKB and non-Android OS? It cant be worse.
    Have you tried a 32 second reset? Hold the power button for 32 seconds, it usually irons out software bugs
    03-17-19 01:11 AM
    Anyone knows any brand with a PKB and non-Android OS? It cant be worse.
    Sorry for your problems. I'm learning to accept Android, but miss the fluidity of BB10.

If you want a PKB device without Android, your only option is an older BBOS or BB10 device.
    KAM1138 likes this.
    03-17-19 11:32 AM
    Sorry for your problems. I'm learning to accept Android, but miss the fluidity of BB10.

If you want a PKB device without Android, your only option is an older BBOS or BB10 device.
    Or, like, an old Nokia or something.
    dantheman77 likes this.
    03-18-19 07:38 AM
    In other words OP, unfortunately not enough people seem to want PKB, to give up modern day conveniences or spend more cash to allow OEM to make enough profits overall to support premium level of device you expect.

The vast majority of consumers that purchased KEYone and Key2 variants are willing to settle for what BBMo has provided. Most of the planet has chosen Android/IOS VKB and like with the mass produced commodities of all types of technology, the majority has spoken.
    03-18-19 07:47 AM
    . Anyone knows any brand with a PKB and non-Android OS? It cant be worse.
    Few consumers want a PKB... so there isn't much money in the format for OEMs. Even Samsung has given up their clip on keyboard accessories.

There are a few funded projects out there for horizontal sliders with keyboards, some of which will run Linux... if horizontal works, you can find them pretty easily. One Carrier in India has a $50 Palm clone that run KaiOS - if it had more network bands and wasn't released in limited Flash Sales.... I expect some here would love to get hold of it.

Safe to say that BBMo makes the best PKB phones on the planet at this point (As BlackBerry no longer makes phones).
    03-18-19 08:28 AM
    You miss the days of clicky, squeaky, over-heating Privs, or the double-typing, screen-lifting, no-cell-service Passports, or the double-typing Q10s, or the rebooting, meagre-battery-life Z10s, or the fixed-focus camera of the 9900, or the (cough) Storms?

Every device has its issues. I find the current BBMo devices no worse than most other BlackBerry-branded phones.
    the_boon and ppeters914 like this.
    03-18-19 08:40 AM
    You miss the days of clicky, squeaky, over-heating Privs, or the double-typing, screen-lifting, no-cell-service Passports, or the double-typing Q10s, or the rebooting, meagre-battery-life Z10s, or the fixed-focus camera of the 9900, or the (cough) Storms?

Every device has its issues. I find the current BBMo devices no worse than most other BlackBerry-branded phones.
    ^ This ^

If we're talking KEY2 LE's, most KEY2's and KEYone's (silver post screen lift as well as Black/Bronze models), I'd say they're fairly/pretty solid
    03-18-19 09:41 AM
    Since you asked about a brand with a PKB that does not run Android...might I humbly suggest the Blackberry Classic or Blackberry Passport? Not only can it not be worse, for many it's much better.
    03-19-19 07:49 PM
    Since you asked about a brand with a PKB that does not run Android...might I humbly suggest the Blackberry Classic or Blackberry Passport? Not only can it not be worse, for many it's much better.
    He said "alongside of a "not-so-user-friendly" Android OS compared to BB10" at the beginning... so I think he is familiar with BB10.
    03-20-19 08:12 AM

That's a back-handed compliment...

You make me wonder why any of us have stuck around!

On the other hand, it's pretty clear from that litany of quality-control issues (to which you'd have to add the KEYone's screens dropping out) why some who may have wanted to stick with BlackBerry -- despite all the software/app issues -- gave up. I know my double-typing Q10 almost drove me away for good. Talk about frustrating.
    03-20-19 08:43 AM
    I don't use the function but if I'm not mistaken you can schedule Do Not Disturb based on calendar events. Maybe make sure you don't have that set up. When I get home I'll try looking more into it as in how to set it up that way and in turn how to remove it. I can't remember off the top of my head.
    anon(10512033) likes this.
    03-20-19 08:44 AM
    That's a back-handed compliment...

You make me wonder why any of us have stuck around!

On the other hand, it's pretty clear from that litany of quality-control issues (to which you'd have to add the KEYone's screens dropping out) why some who may have wanted to stick with BlackBerry -- despite all the software/app issues -- gave up. I know my double-typing Q10 almost drove me away for good. Talk about frustrating.
    I won't add the KEYᵒⁿᵉ as the poster was only referencing BlackBerry devices.

I've always liked BlackBerry hardware, but I've also never pretended that they somehow were the gold standard.
    Last edited by conite; 03-20-19 at 12:31 PM.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    03-20-19 12:12 PM
    i have the silver Key2 and haven't had any problems with it at all. Have had it for +- 9 months.
    03-20-19 05:53 PM
    If you go to Settings > Sound > Do Not Disturb preferences, do you have anything under Automatic Rules?
    03-20-19 06:47 PM
    If you go to Settings > Sound > Do Not Disturb preferences, do you have anything under Automatic Rules?
    This. And if nothing is under automatic rules, a factory reset is in the very close horizon to fix that problem entirely. In fact, I strongly recommend the OP do it now so they won't be complaining again and again.

Submitted via blackberry passport on freedom mobile HSPA+ or LTE
    03-21-19 09:58 PM
    Gotta love when people come to forums just to whine but never return to see if anyone has tried to help them.
    the_boon likes this.
    03-22-19 09:09 AM
    I hate to see folks get frustrated with any OS whether it’s OS10, Android or IOS. They are have their strong and weak points.

It’s all about what you willing to adapt to and as far as the PKB issue, that’s all about personal choice.

My myself, I have a Key2 and a iPhone XS and rotate between both devices and I like the unique features both devices have to offer.

As far as missing the great features that OS10 had, that’s now water under the bridge and it’s time to move on, just my two cents worth.
    03-22-19 05:23 PM
    I hate to see folks get frustrated with any OS whether it’s OS10, Android or IOS. They are have their strong and weak points.

It’s all about what you willing to adapt to and as far as the PKB issue, that’s all about personal choice.

My myself, I have a Key2 and a iPhone XS and rotate between both devices and I like the unique features both devices have to offer.

As far as missing the great features that OS10 had, that’s now water under the bridge and it’s time to move on, just my two cents worth.
    Perfect World.... BlackBerry Hypervisor that allowed you to run iOS, Android, Windows, BB10, Sailfish, few desktop Linux....

But reality is each OS vendor wants to protect their ecosystem and profits. Even Google has moved far away from their open ideals.
    bakron1 and Laura Knotek like this.
    03-25-19 10:47 AM
    Perfect World.... BlackBerry Hypervisor that allowed you to run iOS, Android, Windows, BB10, Sailfish, few desktop Linux....

But reality is each OS vendor wants to protect their ecosystem and profits. Even Google has moved far away from their open ideals.
    Well put sir, I couldn’t have said it better myself.
    03-25-19 11:26 AM
    Even Google has moved far away from their open ideals.
    That is inevitable. Just look at all the complaints, even here, about Android being "a mess" - well, a big part of that is different manufacturers making changes. Even when those changes are good (not that you will ever get anything like universal agreement), they still fragment the experience. That frustrates as many users (or more) than it pleases.

There is also the problem that manufacturers aren't following the licensing terms and contributing their code changes. Tons of companies - including Google - are guilty of that.

I expect there to be a transition to a next-gen OS at some point, with Android being deprecated, and I think Google will exert much more control. Inevitably, some manufacturers will try to go their own way - which might include Samsung - but I don't see a third OS getting enough developer support to survive. If Microsoft couldn't do it, then Samsung and Huawei won't be able to do it either.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    03-25-19 02:34 PM
    That is inevitable. Just look at all the complaints, even here, about Android being "a mess" - well, a big part of that is different manufacturers making changes. Even when those changes are good (not that you will ever get anything like universal agreement), they still fragment the experience. That frustrates as many users (or more) than it pleases.

There is also the problem that manufacturers aren't following the licensing terms and contributing their code changes. Tons of companies - including Google - are guilty of that.

I expect there to be a transition to a next-gen OS at some point, with Android being deprecated, and I think Google will exert much more control. Inevitably, some manufacturers will try to go their own way - which might include Samsung - but I don't see a third OS getting enough developer support to survive. If Microsoft couldn't do it, then Samsung and Huawei won't be able to do it either.
    HTML5 Web Apps.... that will do it.

It would be easier on the developers to only make maintain one app. And developers wouldn't have to share their work with Apple or Google.... makes perfect sense. And I believed it too, back eight years ago when the PlayBook came out.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    03-25-19 02:45 PM
    but I don't see a third OS getting enough developer support to survive.
    I think you're correct, in the commercial context.

I do think there will be a third OS, but it will be Linux and it will make less of a statistical dent than Linux on the desktop makes. I'm fine with that. If I can call, text, browse, and open a terminal, I'm good.

Some will consider this treason, but I can't wait to jump ship! I just wish I could do it with BlackBerry hardware.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-25-19 08:23 PM

I do think there will be a third OS, but it will be Linux and it will make less of a statistical dent than Linux on the desktop makes. I'm fine with that. If I can call, text, browse, and open a terminal, I'm good.

Some will consider this treason, but I can't wait to jump ship! I just wish I could do it with BlackBerry hardware.

There will always be "hobby OSs" - we've seen a number of those over the last 6 years - but, yes, you aren't going to see anything with mainstream app support. That war was won years ago.

The problem with the hobby OSs is that, even today, hardware changes so quickly, and is far more proprietary than on, say, desktop PCs (due to the system-on-a-chip design), that it still takes an incredible amount of ongoing work to keep an OS relevant. And that costs money.
    03-25-19 11:19 PM

There is an app for that... KBOX can provide a Linux-like console environment on top of Android.

But yeah there are a number of Linux based distributions for mobile. It's finding hardware that matches up that can be tricky, as many of them are still in "development". LineageOS is probable the one with the most commercial success, and the most compatibility with today's hardware.
    03-26-19 08:39 AM
48 12