Thought it was some interesting news. Article is short, check it out. BlackBerry's are replacing the in car laptops in police vehicles.

Every Baltimore Police Officer To Get A BlackBerry - wjz.com
    09-02-09 02:57 PM
    Seems like a good idea to me
    09-02-09 07:53 PM
    Seems like another invasion of privacy by Big Brother. Baltimore sounds like living in a very large prison, with cameras all around, watching your every move.
    09-02-09 08:16 PM
    Yeah, and of course it comes with the usual inflated costs government agencies will pay for things we can get much cheaper. A PocketCop license is $650, plus the BB. Baltimore estimates $1700 per unit, so maybe they are cost averaging in the cost of a new BES and employee costs.

As for cameras everywhere, I have no issues with it if it helps reduce crime.
    09-02-09 08:28 PM
    Am I the only who sees this as a solution in search of a problem.
    09-02-09 08:40 PM
    Seems like another invasion of privacy by Big Brother. Baltimore sounds like living in a very large prison, with cameras all around, watching your every move.
    Where does this come from? Where does the invasion of privacy occur? The BBs do basically the same thing that the computers that they already have in patrol cars do.
    Baltimore IS NOT a prison. The criminals can leave anytime they want!
    To amazinglygraceless: I think so.
    09-02-09 09:00 PM
    Where does this come from? Where does the invasion of privacy occur? The BBs do basically the same thing that the computers that they already have in patrol cars do.
    Baltimore IS NOT a prison. The criminals can leave anytime they want!
    To amazinglygraceless: I think so.
    i think he's talking about the installation of more video cameras around the city.
    09-02-09 09:02 PM
    I wasn't trying to bash the idea of the BB. In fact it makes a lot of sense and a time saver for fighting a crime. The cameras do the same thing, they help fight crime. I just think I would like to live in fear of a camera or anyone else seeing what I do all the time. Just my opinion.
    09-02-09 09:05 PM
    Most of the time the cameras aren't monitored. They don't have the manpower. They also breakdown a lot from what I've heard.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-02-09 09:10 PM
    You know that scene in Demolition Man when the police don't know how to deal with violent criminals so they pull out this handheld computer and it tells them what to do? This makes me think of that haha.

09-03-09 12:04 AM
    Wonder if this will be less safe than in-car computers.

1. In-car computers have a larger visual display. Taking one's eyes off the road to focus on the larger computer screen takes less time than taking one's eyes off the road to focus on the smaller screen of a BlackBerry.

2. Navigation. In-car computers offer navigation to the point of the call to which the officer is going. They could do this with custom software on the BlackBerry, I'm sure, but this leads us right back to point #1.

3. In-car laptops are more powerful and robust than BlackBerry. They are faster in terms of data speed and in terms of processor power. They have more memory. They are just more beefy.

4. PRO: Portable. Officer could use the BlackBerry away from his/her patrol vehicle when critical and updated real-time information is needed. Say when out in the alleys walking on foot looking for a suspect.

Aside from #4, I see more CONS than I do PROS for replacing in-car computers with BlackBerry devices.

I think keeping the in-car computers and adding the BlackBerry devices would be a perfect combination. Removing the in-car computers is a BAD idea.
    09-03-09 12:18 AM
    The article says its for foot patrols. In the car they'd still have the in car computer.
    09-03-09 12:25 AM
    The article says its for foot patrols. In the car they'd still have the in car computer.
    I didn't read the article. I was going by the OP who stated:

"Thought it was some interesting news. Article is short, check it out. BlackBerry's are replacing the in car laptops in police vehicles."

To me, the word "replace" doesn't mean "get to keep"

So.. my bad!
    Last edited by danoh; 09-03-09 at 12:30 AM.
    09-03-09 12:28 AM
    So if it is just for foot patrols, those poor mounted police will still need to use their laptops on horseback...
    09-03-09 08:51 AM
    I wasn't trying to bash the idea of the BB. In fact it makes a lot of sense and a time saver for fighting a crime. The cameras do the same thing, they help fight crime. I just think I would like to live in fear of a camera or anyone else seeing what I do all the time. Just my opinion.
    Camera's or not you have no expectation of privacy while on the street. Anyone can call the police and say you did whatever. Now that they have camera's there will just be irrefutable evidence to prove you did it.
    09-03-09 09:26 AM
    I can see it being a good tool for the foot patrols but no way will it replace the laptops.
    09-03-09 09:40 AM
    I love my "pocket cop", but it seems like the laptop is better for overall use, speed etc.
    09-03-09 10:05 AM
    Not for foot posts only....what they are trying to say is that the cop will stand outside and take the info from the vic. Instead of having the vic talk through the window of the car as the PO uses the lap top mounted in the car.

09-03-09 10:55 AM
    What I find funny is that they would use stimulus money to purchase these.

Didn't the government say "buy American" with the stimulus money?
    09-03-09 01:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD