Judge asked to block "continued acts of infringement of the Java platform." - arstechnica

The ongoing legal saga known as the Oracle-Google copyright battle took a huge leap Wednesday when Oracle claimed the last six Android operating systems are "infringing Oracle's copyrights in the Java platform."

That's according to the latest paperwork (PDF) Oracle filed in the five-year-old closely watched case that so far has resulted in the determination that Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) are, indeed, copyrightable.

Oracle amended its suit, which had been mired in litigation and appeals. It now names Android operating systems Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, KitKat, and Lollipop. These are the operating systems that came after Froyo, when the suit was filed in 2010.

Oracle wants unspecified monetary damages and a judge's order blocking Google "from continued acts of infringement of the Java platform copyrights."
    Blackberry licenses Java for BBOS, but I don't know if they worked an agreement out for BB10's ART - of if they need to.
    It'd be funny if Blackberry could sell BB10 with support for Android apps while Google and it's partners can't sell Android anymore, but that's not going to happen.
    anon(8908445) likes this.
    08-14-15 10:11 AM
    Judge asked to block "continued acts of infringement of the Java platform." - arstechnica

Blackberry licenses Java for BBOS, but I don't know if they worked an agreement out for BB10's ART - of if they need to.
    It'd be funny if Blackberry could sell BB10 with support for Android apps while Google and it's partners can't sell Android anymore, but that's not going to happen.
    Worst case Google would pay a fine, and Oracle would join Microsoft as being the main ones making a profit on the OS....

But I imagine that the Android Runtime... has the same api packages and would be an infringement also. Which if they win, might put an end to there being an Open Source version of Android. Android M isn't listed, wonder if that is because it hasn't been officially released or if it has been fixed.
    08-14-15 10:51 AM
    Worst case Google would pay a fine, and Oracle would join Microsoft as being the main ones making a profit on the OS....

But I imagine that the Android Runtime... has the same api packages and would be an infringement also. Which if they win, might put an end to there being an Open Source version of Android. Android M isn't listed, wonder if that is because it hasn't been officially released or if it has been fixed.
    Umm, no. This is civil.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-15 02:26 PM
    Umm, no. This is civil.

Posted via CB10
    So what do you think would happen... Oracle would force Google to shut down all Android devices?

I think Oracle is after a pieces of the "cake"... they don't want to throw it away. Paying "damages" for past infringements, and licensing any future use is what they are going to want. JMHO

Not sure what it being a civil case has to do with it.
    08-14-15 02:31 PM
    Best outcome as developers would be Google has to finally drop Java. I'd love to see Android move to a better language. I bet a lot of iOS developers on our team would move over if Android used Go, for example.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    08-14-15 02:48 PM
    So what do you think would happen... Oracle would force Google to shut down all Android devices?

I think Oracle is after a pieces of the "cake"... they don't want to throw it away. Paying "damages" for past infringements, and licensing any future use is what they are going to want. JMHO

Not sure what it being a civil case has to do with it.
    You pay fines to the government for breaking the law. You settle or are awarded damages in civil suits.
    08-14-15 09:42 PM
    this case has been going on for years and will never be solved. Its a stupid waste for money for both sides at this point
    08-14-15 09:53 PM