I just read about that today's morning. I don't know if this is true or not. No update in Thurber's Twitter.
    What does that mean to the future of upcoming BlackBerry-branded devices?
    BlackBerry already sent several Android apps to EOL. Don't you think this could harm the sales numbers of BlackBerry devices?

Thanks
    04-29-19 05:38 PM
    I just read about that today's morning. I don't know if this is true or not. No update in Thurber's Twitter.
    BlackBerry already sent several Android apps to EOL. Don't you think this could harm the sales numbers of BlackBerry devices?

Thanks
    Where did you read this?
    04-29-19 05:44 PM
    Honestly people buying phones dont pay much attention to the coming and goings of people in the company. Some might know of certain apps but again most people have no clue. They will buy BBM phones for the keyboard and exhanced security 1000x over than buying the phone for the apps they are EOLing
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    04-29-19 05:45 PM
    Where did you read this?
    It is in the forum here. People are talking about it.
    That's why I'm asking.
    04-29-19 06:30 PM

Thanks
    Where did you read about Alex Thurber?
    04-29-19 06:32 PM
    https://www.blackberry.com/us/en/company/leadership

He is longer listed here, he was listed there a bit ago.

Also no longer listing BB on his twitter bio
    04-29-19 06:43 PM
    Honestly people buying phones dont pay much attention to the coming and goings of people in the company. Some might know of certain apps but again most people have no clue. They will buy BBM phones for the keyboard and exhanced security 1000x over than buying the phone for the apps they are EOLing
    The majority of people currently buying BlackBerry branded phones are true BlackBerry fans and up to date with the current BlackBerry situation. Such news could have an effect on their purchase decision.

Probably, the sales numbers are very low that BlackBerry limited don't care about the remaining fanbase anymore.
    krazyatom and Bay 13 like this.
    04-29-19 06:45 PM
    https://www.blackberry.com/us/en/company/leadership

He is longer listed here, he was listed there a bit ago.

Also no longer listing BB on his twitter bio
    Yes, it could be a rumor.
    I read about it in this forum.
    04-29-19 06:46 PM
    Yes, it could be a rumor.
    I read about it in this forum.
    Do you see someone on the list that would fill the space or have oversight over the position he filled?
    04-29-19 06:58 PM
    Do you see someone on the list that would fill the space or have oversight over the position he filled?
    No.
    Hardware devices president position is no longer available.
    04-29-19 07:21 PM
    No.
    That doesn't bode well.
    04-29-19 08:01 PM
    That doesn't bode well.
    Any device released after the Z30 time roughly, has been a miracle.
    bibbula, Jake2826 and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    04-29-19 09:08 PM
    Any device released after the Z30 time roughly, has been a miracle.
    And we've had a lot of miracles since the Z30! Classic, Passport, Leap, PRIV. Then TCL gave us the KEYone, KEY2, KEY2 LE.

I'm thankful for every new BlackBerry devices that makes it to market and buy with the thought that maybe this will be the last BlackBerry phone I'll ever buy.
    04-29-19 10:45 PM
    And we've had a lot of miracles since the Z30! Classic, Passport, Leap, PRIV. Then TCL gave us the KEYone, KEY2, KEY2 LE.

I'm thankful for every new BlackBerry devices that makes it to market and buy with the thought that maybe this will be the last BlackBerry phone I'll ever buy.
    We need another miracle then. I have a KEYone and was waiting for a KEY3 but maybe should get a KEY2.
    PS Or does that show a lack of believing in miracles?
    04-30-19 02:27 AM
    No.
    Well they don't make or sell hardware.

Software (which is scaling down) and Licensing might not need the oversight that they had in place.... clearly sales aren't exploding as many once hoped.

If the program is going to be profitable with only a million units (+/-) moving a year... it needed to be streamlined, and it didn't require a President of even a VP to oversee it. Hopefully this is BlackBerry trying to make the program viable for the long term based on real sales numbers....
    elfabio80 and pkcable like this.
    04-30-19 07:51 AM
    The majority of people currently buying BlackBerry branded phones are true BlackBerry fans and up to date with the current BlackBerry situation. Such news could have an effect on their purchase decision.

Probably, the sales numbers are very low that BlackBerry limited don't care about the remaining fanbase anymore.
    Who exactly was/is Alex Thurber in relation to BB and BBMo strategies?
    04-30-19 07:53 AM
    Who exactly was/is Alex Thurber in relation to BB and BBMo strategies?
    He was the VP in charge of pushing BlackBerry Secure.
    04-30-19 08:02 AM
    Exactly, just another revolving door executive that realized mobile isn’t the BB crown jewel compared with Cylance and such....

I also can’t name the CEO/President of BBMo although there got to be one.
    04-30-19 08:07 AM
    Exactly, just another revolving door executive that realized mobile isn’t the BB crown jewel compared with Cylance and such....

It's clear that BlackBerry only needs a good developer team and related infrastructure to service its mobile licencees.

Thurber's departure may not bode well for getting your next router to use BlackBerry Secure, but it won't affect BlackBerry Mobile.
    gouger05 likes this.
    04-30-19 08:09 AM
    It's clear that BlackBerry only needs a good developer team and related infrastructure to service its mobile licencees.

Thurber's departure may not bode well for getting your next router to use BlackBerry Secure, but it won't affect BlackBerry Mobile.
    Exactly. Many of the BB executives hired, fit the company at point in time but as the company rapidly evolves, there is no longer a good fit.

Cylance brings a lot of their own executives that could be a better fit going forward.
    04-30-19 08:20 AM

Alain Lejeune?
    Jake2826 likes this.
    04-30-19 10:19 AM
    yeah i never knew or cared who it was. Just like 95% of everyone buying BBM phones probably
    ppeters914 likes this.
    04-30-19 10:26 AM
    Wasn't he also general manager of BlackBerry Mobility Solutions? That was the cell phone part of his job. He was often at events as the BlackBerry representative where the licensed BlackBerry phones were launched.
    At any rate, he has left the company. I have had that confirmed.
    He has, according to his Twitter profile, 4 step kids and 2 more of his own. He was CONSTANTLY traveling, and long trips all over the world. Those types of trips are draining. That is besides taking him away from his family frequently. It isn't a stretch to understand why he would want a job change.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    04-30-19 12:43 PM

I hope you are correct regarding BlackBerry Mobile.
    04-30-19 12:45 PM
    What worries more, all the EOL apps are BlackBerry exclusive apps that work only on BlackBerry branded devices.
    04-30-19 04:33 PM
38 12