Hey,

Im new to all this.
    I would really like to run AIM over my WiFi on my BOLD for AT&T...

Can someone please help me.
    02-16-09 09:01 PM
    I'm guessing you don't want to get the data package for your phone. But the only app that I am aware that you can do this with is BeeJive. It is a one time $20 or $30 with a transferable license.
    02-16-09 09:10 PM
    yea i dont want to buy the BB plan or any internet plan from AT&T. so this app will run on my BB enabling me to use AIM over WiFi correct?
    02-16-09 09:14 PM
    Yes. You just need to go in to the preferences and switch to "wifi preferred". There is a free 30 day trial I believe.
    02-16-09 10:17 PM
    Beejive is great. I got the 30 day trial and ended up buying the software. I do have an unlimited data plan, but if I'm in a dead zone (yes, they still exist in some places), but there is a Wi-Fi connection, I'm golden.

Chris
    02-16-09 11:23 PM
    wow,
    thank you so much.

This helped so much!
    02-17-09 07:20 PM
    i have BIS, but if i'm connected via wi-fi and im using the native AIM client, i'm not using up data charges, right?
    02-17-09 07:40 PM
    what is AIM? can someone explain it to me?
    02-17-09 07:49 PM
    i have BIS, but if i'm connected via wi-fi and im using the native AIM client, i'm not using up data charges, right?
    You are in a way because I beleive the native app uses texts.
    02-17-09 08:03 PM
    what is AIM? can someone explain it to me?
    It's a popular Instant Messaging program.
    Instant Messenger - AIM - Instant Message Your Online Buddies for Free - AIM
    02-17-09 08:04 PM
    You are in a way because I beleive the native app uses texts.
    I don't have my BB yet but what is the native IM client? I thought I remember seeing an AIM client on the blackberry website. I figured that would use data rather than SMS.

I know my old win mobile phone had an AIM client that worked just fine in WiFi and it still works even without any kind of SIM card in it. I was hoping my new Bold will work the same way.
    02-17-09 08:12 PM
    I don't have my BB yet but what is the native IM client? I thought I remember seeing an AIM client on the blackberry website. I figured that would use data rather than SMS.

I know my old win mobile phone had an AIM client that worked just fine in WiFi and it still works even without any kind of SIM card in it. I was hoping my new Bold will work the same way.
    I guess the only way to find out once and for all if it works over wifi or not is if you turn off your network connection on your BB and try to use the app over wifi. If you get a chance to do that let us know what you're findings are. I would do it, but I use beejive for my aim on my BB.
    02-17-09 09:09 PM
    Whenever the local store gets the Bold's in stock, I'm going to pick when up. I'll test out the AIM over WiFi and see if it works.
    02-17-09 11:16 PM
    I turned off my Mobile Network and left just the Wi-Fi connected at my place and Beejive still worked great. Haven't tested just AIM, but that's because Beejive is superior in my book. I'll have t give it a go and see what happens.

Chris
    02-17-09 11:40 PM
    i've turned off my mobile network leaving just wifi on and i'm able to use the native AIM app. i think that if you're connected to wifi and your BIS is connected through wifi, it routes data through that and not the carrier.
    02-18-09 02:51 AM
    BeeJive works over a Wi-Fi Only network... I have been using my Curve for several months without data and taking advantage of my Wi-Fi access. BeeJive allows FREE incoming and outgoing instant messages, for all supported IM clients including AIM, over any Wi-Fi network Good stuff!
    03-26-09 05:13 PM
    I had a data plan for a while and I could use AIM when I turned off the mobile network

But after cancelling the data plan AIM no longer works over wifi so I'm thinking it may be using data somehow
    05-19-09 01:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD