Looking at the new blogs.
    I am highly highly against licensing bb10!
    I want bb10 to be on my blackberry and unique to blackberry's.

Do you see the biggest selling phone licence out ios to people? No you dont

My opinion what is yours
    08-02-12 06:35 PM
    The highest selling phone also has a 50% margin on hardware...while RIM has a negative margin.

RIM doesn't have the resources to create high-end products for a low price such as Apple, Samsung, HTC.

So if people want the latest and greatest, they can't buy RIM, because RIM will always be a small step behind in terms of hardware.

But I agree with you, I'd rather have a RIM product running BB10. Specs mean ****...all depends on how the OS works
    08-02-12 06:44 PM
    What about using the playbook hardware inside the phones and make ther phones a quad core and bump up the price a tiny bit,i just hope to god rim don't goin the android way
    08-02-12 06:48 PM
    RIM won't let everyone use BB10...they will limit the amount of devices released.

I see Samsung as being a great hardware partner...they make solid devices and have a great chain.

As for bumping up PlayBook specs, I know nothing about building a phone so I couldn't tell you if that would work. But essentially, the Dev Alpha is a shrunken PlayBook with similar specs and better screen.
    08-02-12 07:42 PM
    Samsung amoled is the best screen on the market - opinion
    Would love to see it in a BB. But i strongly believe the housing on the sammys is awfull!
    Cheap toy car plastic, and i dont want that on bb

samsung amoled + bb build +bb10 = epic
    08-02-12 07:50 PM
    I've never extensively used a Sammy...so I can't comment, but I'm sure will make the decision/announcement at the right time.

I don't think RIM can survive without a hardware partner for much longer with BB10
    08-02-12 08:01 PM
    Well why dont they partner with intel, nivida ect for hardware instead of the competition?
    08-02-12 08:03 PM
    I've spent time with a lot of Samsung devices and am not impressed with any of their hardware. I think Samsung is great if you're trying to win a specs race, but RIM shouldn't be competing to win a specs race.

I'm with the OP. I like my BlackBerry device and bought it for the hardware just as much as I did for the software. The build quality of BBs is great and RIM has shown that they can compete on even terms with Apple and Samsung specs-wise and can surpass them software-wise. If BB10 is a hit, then RIM will have no trouble moving devices. No one complains about BB hardware and would not mind buying it if BB10 really is as good as RIM says it is.

With that said, I think RIM should maintain their openness to licensing. It may be an avenue they might need to venture down in the future, if their situation becomes more dire. First, I think they need to try it on their own as they may not even need to license at all. I really believe RIM is entirely opposed to licensing unless they absolutely have to, as it's a kind of business model that goes against everything RIM's done in their history. Heins is aware of this and, to me, seems opposed to any plan that interferes with his plans to release BB10 on their own devices in Q1 2013.
    08-02-12 08:58 PM
    But i strongly believe the housing on the sammys is awfull!
    They use polycarbonate, which is a highly shatter resistance plastic. Something like 3/4 quarter inch of it is proof against 9mm rounds. It's also used to make shatterproof lenses for eyewear. I'd say that's a bit better than "toy car plastic."
    jivegirl14 likes this.
    08-02-12 09:40 PM
    well it might be stonger than toy plastic but they feel like that

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Crackberry app
    08-03-12 10:25 AM
    Samsung amoled is the best screen on the market - opinion
    Would love to see it in a BB. But i strongly believe the housing on the sammys is awfull!

samsung amoled + bb build +bb10 = epic
    I own a Samsung Galaxy SIII. The screen is amazing. And I can tell you with certainty there is nothing "cheap or toy car plastic about it." At all. Neither is "the housing awful..." as you put it. It's top notch, which you'd see for yourself if you actually owned one.
    08-03-12 10:56 AM
    I don't want to see them license the software to other mobile phone manufacturers. I do want to see them sell off all of the manufacturing capacity that they have, and outsource the actual production of the hardware to a third party, just like Apple does with Foxcon for the iPhone. RIM cannot compete on hardware pricing making the devices in there own plants, and also not afford to go through lean time like they are now. Outsourcing the actual device production like they did with the Playbook to Quanta I think is the best option for RIM.
    08-03-12 01:05 PM
    I would find it very hard for myself to buy a BB10 device made by Samsung, Nokia, Motorola, HTC, or anyone BUT Research in Motion. BlackBerry devices have a sleek and classy, but yet professional look to them and I like that. The companies that I listed feel cheesy. And BlackBerrys aren't any more than the iPhone or any top notch Android devices, so whoever said that I believe is wrong. In fact, BlackBerry devices are cheaper.
    08-03-12 01:14 PM
    I don't want to see them license the software to other mobile phone manufacturers. I do want to see them sell off all of the manufacturing capacity that they have, and outsource the actual production of the hardware to a third party, just like Apple does with Foxcon for the iPhone. RIM cannot compete on hardware pricing making the devices in there own plants, and also not afford to go through lean time like they are now. Outsourcing the actual device production like they did with the Playbook to Quanta I think is the best option for RIM.
    Rim already contracts the manufacturing to third parties. Elcoteq, Jabil and Multi-Fineline are their main contractors. Celestica recently dropped RIM as a customer. Quanta of course makes the playbook.
    08-03-12 01:33 PM
    I think RIM should come out with a full keyboard phone (they do this the best) and maybe a slider and a clamshell design. Let Samsung or another hardware maker license for a full screen phone.
    08-03-12 02:30 PM
    Rim already contracts the manufacturing to third parties. Elcoteq, Jabil and Multi-Fineline are their main contractors. Celestica recently dropped RIM as a customer. Quanta of course makes the playbook.
    Per Crackberry's coverage of the Celestica announcement:
    Celestica wouldn't actually make hardware for RIM, but they'd act as a fulfillment center by loading in the carrier-specific OS, packaging up everything into the right box and shipping it off to retail locations in the USA.
    RIM has there own manufacturing plants in Mexico, Malaysia, and other locations. Multi-Fineline is supplying flexible circuit boards. Jabil also makes circuit boards. I believe that the Playbook is the first device that RIM has let a 3rd party handle the entire production of.
    08-03-12 02:53 PM
    I don't give a carp who makes me a phone with BB10 as long a it's awesome and has the apps we can get on on other phones that the majority of people want.
    Roo Zilla likes this.
    08-03-12 03:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD