Got a Torch on Friday and initial signs were good. I liked it very much, particularly the browser experience. Turning it on its side and touching what you wanted was most pleasing.

However, things like the weight, form factor and battery life really started to get on my nerves. Taking the torch out and sliding the keyboard in-and-out all day long eventually wore me down, especially when out and about, and with a Sena case on route that process wouldn't have got any easier. I will never deviate from the candy bar style again, rest assured.

It's a heavy phone too, and the position of the end/call/option keys when the keyboard is closed is rather awkward. They are down the bottom, which means pressing them with your thumb is not really great.

The battery seemed to drain rather quickly too. With moderate use I was down at 30% come 6 o'clock in the evening.

The phone feels awkward in your hand were as the Bold feels perfect.

It's nice to be back.
    12-22-10 05:23 AM
    Not all devices are perfect for everybody.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-22-10 06:56 AM
    One good reason for so many different phones is so many different users and needs. Coming from the 9000 to the Torch was quite a transition for me, but in the end I love the device. Battery life is good for me. Form and function with trackpad, touch screen, and keyboard work just fine in my hands. Not going back again. Unless BB comes out with a 9000 form factor with something close to Torch specs I am happy for a long time in the future. OP, I hope you find the same measures of happiness in your return to the 9700.
    12-22-10 07:02 AM
    Let's not forget about the Curve series for people on a tight budget

But seriously though, I have a Curve 8520, and it gets the job done. However, the Torch looks perfect for me. It has the touch-screen that I love using, combined with the LEGENDARY BlackBerry keypad that I have come to know and love, as it makes typing a breeze. For me, it's perfection. Although it's a shame the Style is CDMA-only, that thing looked a beauty!

Sorry Android, sorry WinMob, but the BlackBerry Torch has sold it for me.
    12-22-10 07:10 AM
    Love my 9800. Different phones for different folks.

12-22-10 07:46 AM
    Ideally, in future, I'd want a Bold with a sligtly longer touchscreen.

Here's hoping that comes out one day

12-22-10 09:14 AM
    Let's not forget about the Curve series for people on a tight budget

But seriously though, I have a Curve 8520, and it gets the job done. However, the Torch looks perfect for me. It has the touch-screen that I love using, combined with the LEGENDARY BlackBerry keypad that I have come to know and love, as it makes typing a breeze. For me, it's perfection. Although it's a shame the Style is CDMA-only, that thing looked a beauty!

Sorry Android, sorry WinMob, but the BlackBerry Torch has sold it for me.
    I don't think Curve is for a tight budget. Bell was offering me the newest Bold and the newest Curve for the same price and I went Curve because I honestly just like the device better and prefer it over the Bold.

Yeah I can honestly say I don't like that RIM is going all touch-screen. I say if you prefer that go become one of those kind.... an Apple fanboy. Classic BlackBerry is still best.
    12-22-10 09:37 AM
    I don't think Curve is for a tight budget. Bell was offering me the newest Bold and the newest Curve for the same price and I went Curve because I honestly just like the device better and prefer it over the Bold.
    Seriously? The Curve 8520 is definitely for a tight budget though. Costs 150 now.

Yeah I can honestly say I don't like that RIM is going all touch-screen. I say if you prefer that go become one of those kind.... an Apple fanboy. Classic BlackBerry is still best.
    Please don't accuse me of wanting to be an apple fanboy or even saying I should become an apple fanboy. I don't like iPhone. No physical keypad on the phone. Androids and Win Mobs don't do the job I want to do as effectively as BlackBerry smartphones. Which is wireless presentations and communications.

Thanks, but I'll stick to my BlackBerry smartphones thank you. And I love my Curve 8520 might I add!
    12-22-10 10:06 AM
    Yea the Torch isn't for everyone...at first I was thinking to run back to my 9700 after having the Torch for a week...I'm glad that I didn't. I love my Torch...admittedly the battery life could be a good bit better, but other than that its a great device(imo)
    12-22-10 10:14 AM
    Seriously? The Curve 8520 is definitely for a tight budget though. Costs 150 now.

Please don't accuse me of wanting to be an apple fanboy or even saying I should become an apple fanboy. I don't like iPhone. No physical keypad on the phone. Androids and Win Mobs don't do the job I want to do as effectively as BlackBerry smartphones. Which is wireless presentations and communications.

Thanks, but I'll stick to my BlackBerry smartphones thank you. And I love my Curve 8520 might I add!

Alright first of all did I ask for your opinion on my OPINIONS? No, I didn't. And I walked into the Bell store nearest to my house and was offered the newest Bold and the newest Curve for the same price on the same plan. Why did I pick the Curve? Because in my OPINION it is better.

And in my OPINION any touch screen phone is pretty cliche Apple fanboy, which in my OPINION you are one.

Yeah thanks for making me reply to that, no one asked you.

For your reference:
    opinion 
    [uh-pin-yuhn]

–noun
    a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
    Last edited by Terunlos; 12-22-10 at 11:20 AM.
    12-22-10 11:17 AM
    And in my OPINION any touch screen phone is pretty cliche Apple fanboy, which in my OPINION you are one.
    An apple fanboy is someone who craves Apple products. The only piece of Apple kit I have in my house is my laptop, and that's only because most of the media industry uses Mac so kinda have to know the Mac software to be able to get into the already competitive industry.

iPhones, I think are a bag of **** for me. They're not for me one bit. One core feature I like in my phone is a FULL PHYSICAL QWERTY KEYPAD. That means more to me than a touch-screen. The touch-screen would just be a nice addition. I will not go for an iPhone because they won't include a physical keypad in it. How the **** does that make me an apple fanboy?
    12-22-10 11:59 AM
    I didn't even read your post past the first four words because I don't care.

G'day *****.
    12-22-10 12:01 PM
    You know what, I'm going out of this thread. Think what you bloody well want. And for the record, I'd much rather take a Curve over an iPhone anyday for the physical keypad.
    12-22-10 12:08 PM
    I sense a lot of hatred in this thread.

Maybe you guys should set up a ring and duke it out...for reals!

That or sit down and have some tea and crumpits!

12-22-10 05:46 PM
    Glad you are enjoying the 9700 again. Everyone needs the phone that works and fits them best.
    12-22-10 06:46 PM
    To be honest the curve is more of a social blackberry. In the UK it is advertised as a kind of cheaper social blackberry for younger users.
    12-23-10 03:38 AM
    Got a Torch on Friday and initial signs were good. I liked it very much, particularly the browser experience. Turning it on its side and touching what you wanted was most pleasing.

However, things like the weight, form factor and battery life really started to get on my nerves. Taking the torch out and sliding the keyboard in-and-out all day long eventually wore me down, especially when out and about, and with a Sena case on route that process wouldn't have got any easier. I will never deviate from the candy bar style again, rest assured.

It's a heavy phone too, and the position of the end/call/option keys when the keyboard is closed is rather awkward. They are down the bottom, which means pressing them with your thumb is not really great.

The battery seemed to drain rather quickly too. With moderate use I was down at 30% come 6 o'clock in the evening.

The phone feels awkward in your hand were as the Bold feels perfect.

It's nice to be back.
    I find it interesting that I found this thread since my husband and I were discussing the prospect of me upgrading from the Bold to the Torch just recently as a matter of fact. Your experience makes me think it would be wise to wait for many reasons but like the battery life issue (which is a BIG pet peeve of mine) are usually improved in future releases besides I am happy with my Bold :-) Why pay top dollar to fix what isn't broken? Lol.

12-23-10 04:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD