OK. Just to be clear I'm NOT trolling or trying to bag RIM.

I recently bought a 64gb PlayBook which I totally love. I take it everywhere I go. I have an old Curve 9300 that I'm planning to upgrade in July. I love my Curve too, but I want a more up to date, more powerful device. For a long time I've been thinking about a Bold 9900 or a Torch 9810, but I'm starting to go very cold on the idea.

I love BlackBerry devices. But I really don't want to buy a completely out-modes phone that I can't upgrade. I am pretty interested in the BB10 idea, but they seem to have no clear release date or cost. The moment I learnt that BB10 wouldn't be backwards compatible, I was very disappointed.

So now I'm looking at the idea of delving into Android for my new phone (I won't touch iOS). Probably a Samsung. I do like their phones. I'll keep my Curve as a reserve and for using with my PB. I feel so mad and disappointed that RIM has put themselves in the position of having nothing that can really compete at the highest levels (I think maybe the Bold 9900 could with an upgraded OS).

Also the financial coming out of RIM right now scare me. I'm not sure that they will make it, and if they do go under all of their support/services are gone too.

I feel so conflicted though because I wanted a BlackBerry.
    Last edited by sashlon; 04-02-12 at 01:12 AM.
    04-02-12 12:54 AM
    If you can wait for bb10 then I would. RIM will be forced to put everything it the device and it will either be amazing or at the very least the same as current bbs that you are looking at getting.
    04-02-12 01:06 AM
    I'm in a similar spot... I have a iphone now but due for a credit... I like the look and keyboard of the 9900 but to sign a 3 year contract for a BB7 device just doesnt make sense and no way am I paying full price for a 9900 either since BB10 is around the corner.

If RIM and their partners would allow customers like me upgrade to a 9900 device (i.e. switching from a IOS or DROID device) and then again when BB10 comes out I think they would move a lot of BB7 product which they seem to have alot on hand of.

With BB10 around the corner, iphone 5, Samsumg S3 and Windows 8 devices no wonder why RIM is struggling with BB7 devices... they need to do something and quick.
    04-02-12 01:10 AM
    At the very least the 9900 is an excellent straight-up communicator that won't be outdated when all the other new phones arrive - Ex. texting, emailing, BBM, etc

You can break contracts early and there could be carrier deals when BB10 phones arrive.

If you have the playbook you'll get the BB10 upgrade when the phones come out
    04-02-12 07:44 AM
    I'm in a similar spot...

If RIM and their partners would allow customers like me upgrade to a 9900 device (i.e. switching from a IOS or DROID device) and then again when BB10 comes out I think they would move a lot of BB7 product which they seem to have alot on hand of.
    That's exactly my concern as well. I would jump on it tomorrow if I could get that type of deal. I currently have 5 cell phones for my business and I want to upgrade to 6 cell phones and knowing the BB10 is just around the corner (or a LONG WAY AWAY....depending on how impatient you are....lol), I'm hesitant to commit to a 3 year contract in order to get a good deal on the phone.Then in 5 or 6 months the next "great thing" arrives and I'm @&$# out of luck because I'm locked into another 3 year contract and would be unable to get it.

I phoned my cell phone company last week and if I were to break my contract today, it would cost me just over $1000.00 to do so. Of course I haven't used the "threaten to move to another company" tactic, but if they offered a deal for a free upgrade or something then I probably would pay the penalty because I would save that much over a year based on my current plan.

Growing pains
    Last edited by Injection Classique; 04-02-12 at 08:17 AM.
    04-02-12 08:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD