Hi, I'm sure this has been covered before, and slightly apprehensive to ask, I have searched, I am new to BB so I don't understand how the update system works, with my phone an HTC HD2 I have to wait for my provider, T-Mobile in UK, to issue updates which can be months after the manufacturer. I am wanting to buy into the new generation of BB phones for myself, wife and daughter. I am aware therefore that the new OS7 will probably get an update relatively soon after offical release. In your experience is it better to buy sim free to get undoctored faster updates or does it not useually make that much difference. In searching I came accross a thread which suggested that even if it wasn't sim free it is possible to update with the manufacturers version. In your experience do providers mess with the OS to it's detriment etc, Obviously there are cost implications which may or may not be relevent to a good user experience. The other issue is "or is it that unlike other OS's BlackBerry tend to release the finished product" so updates are just about bugs etc. I applogise if some feel this is an inflamatory question, but my research does seem to bare this out. Finally an observation, I feel sorry that so many seem to want to put down BB, I have used other phones and found that the basic functioning as a phone isn't that great, true I can play games or use different applications and that can be usefull but not at the expense of call quality. For example music on a phone is great but if the priority is on good sound for music it detracts from good voice audio. Thankyou
    07-07-11 04:01 AM
    Not sure on all your points but I received my new Pearl 3G 'sim free' yesterday and updated it with the latest firmware from a foreign network and it went on really easy, and it was an upgrade from OS5 to OS6 as well, so yes it can be done
    07-07-11 12:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD