Hey CBers. I am in a little dilemma right now. I absolutely love my PlayBook. I have had it since launch and haven't had any issues with it whatsoever. Great experience. Right now though, if I sell it, I would have enough money saved to pay full retail price for a Z10 from Verizon (my upgrade is in August and I am NOT waiting that long ). I do use my PlayBook a lot but I think I feel that I could get by without it. Then again, I love it so I am not sure what to do. Those who have the Z10, would you say it would be worth it? The latest rumors is that the Z10 should be at Verizon in early March now. It would just be nice to have some other feedback and advice on this. Thanks in advance! This is a really tough decision.
    02-24-13 05:13 PM
    No, just for the fact that your playbook would not have the resale value. For whatever amount you going to get out of it, it's not going to make much of a difference towards the purchasing of a Z10. You might as well keep it and continue to enjoy your playbook. Keep your fingers crossed by the end of the year it will get the update.
    Andrew4life likes this.
    02-24-13 05:29 PM
    No, just for the fact that your playbook would not have the resale value. For whatever amount you going to get out of it, it's not going to make much of a difference towards the purchasing of a Z10. You might as well keep it and continue to enjoy your playbook. Keep your fingers crossed by the end of the year it will get the update.
    If I sell it, then it would put me over the top...to get to the $600 for a full retail priced Z10. I am not expecting all that from just the PlayBook haha
    02-24-13 05:33 PM
    you aren't going to get much for a used playbook. $80? 100? I don't know. If its such a small amount that would push you over the top you should save it by other means. The playbook is worth much more to the user then the amount of cash gained by a used sale.

I have used my playbook in many places where I was in a jam. When I had my 9900 I was able to go on flash sites and make hotel and transportation reservations over bridge. I don't know what I would have done without it.
    JR A likes this.
    02-24-13 05:41 PM
    you aren't going to get much for a used playbook. $80? 100? I don't know. If its such a small amount that would push you over the top you should save it by other means. The playbook is worth much more to the user then the amount of cash gained by a used sale.
    The resale is more than that. My friend just got $185 for his. But I definitely do get you when it is worth more to the user than the resale value.
    02-24-13 05:43 PM
    The resale is more than that. My friend just got $185 for his. But I definitely do get you when it is worth more to the user than the resale value.
    Its $150 for a brand new one here in Canada.
    JR A likes this.
    02-24-13 06:04 PM
    Its $150 for a brand new one here in Canada.
    Yea they're generally more expensive here in the states.
    02-24-13 06:06 PM
    keep it, you'll get BB10 on it anyway,,, sounds like you'll be kickin' yourself later if you don't,,, if you need extra cash, pimp yourself out & go to the nearest ol' ladies home & sell your body to a rich widow,,, it's not so bad,,, i do it all the time when i need beer money..
    02-24-13 06:09 PM
    Different market there then. In Canada we've had regular sales at ~100-120$......so although people sometimes ask 200 or 150....only a fool would buy one. I know a guy who picked up a used one here for 50$ - which is actually probably fair with a new one at the 100-120.

Only you can make your own decision here, but are you desperately unhappy with your phone?? If not, and if you love your PB, why not wait a bit?? How long have you waited for the z10 so far?? Would another 1 to 6 months kill you? I"m sure you will come up with ~180$ in that time some other way! 6 months from release, the z10 will be much cheaper anyways....think of it this way...you missed all that depreciation! Even though it's easy to get caught up in materialism/consumerism, and we get feverish looking at a product we really want, in the end, it's not a big deal. If you buy a z10, 6 months later, there will be another product you desperately want. If something serious happened in your life, you'd forget all about the z10, and never think twice about it, until the crisis had past.

Assuming you are happy with your current phone, and it does all the things you need, then you would be giving up your PB, for getting the z10 a bit earlier than you might otherwise. Is that lead time better than having your PB? Only you can decide that!
    02-24-13 06:12 PM
    Different market there then. In Canada we've had regular sales at ~100-120$......so although people sometimes ask 200 or 150....only a fool would buy one. I know a guy who picked up a used one here for 50$ - which is actually probably fair with a new one at the 100-120.

Only you can make your own decision here, but are you desperately unhappy with your phone?? If not, and if you love your PB, why not wait a bit?? How long have you waited for the z10 so far?? Would another 1 to 6 months kill you? I"m sure you will come up with ~180$ in that time some other way! 6 months from release, the z10 will be much cheaper anyways....think of it this way...you missed all that depreciation! Even though it's easy to get caught up in materialism/consumerism, and we get feverish looking at a product we really want, in the end, it's not a big deal. If you buy a z10, 6 months later, there will be another product you desperately want. If something serious happened in your life, you'd forget all about the z10, and never think twice about it, until the crisis had past.

Assuming you are happy with your current phone, and it does all the things you need, then you would be giving up your PB, for getting the z10 a bit earlier than you might otherwise. Is that lead time better than having your PB? Only you can decide that!
    Thanks for the advice! I have just been saving for some time specifically for the Z10. My plan right now is that I could buy the Z10 now with my saved money, and then when August comes around with my upgrade, I would then upgrade to the "higher end phones later in the year" promised by BlackBerry. I am happy with my Torch 9850, but I just feel that I am long ready for something new.
    02-24-13 06:17 PM
    I am with u OP. My main reason for getting a PlayBook was because my 9900 lacked much functionality and a performance I desired. I've had my 64GB PlayBook since day 1...but I will be selling mine. When the Z10 comes to the states, what will be the point in the PlayBook? The Z10 browser is faster, it has access to more apps....it does everything I bought my PlayBook for originally, but better. I love bridging my 9900 and PlayBook, but now that bridge has been crippled between Z10 and PlayBook so that I can't view text messages, there is no point in me having my PlayBook anymore. This is my opinion though. Selling my PlayBook along with its otterbox case, original box, All the cords, and a Xagg Invisible Shield....I'm sure I can get a very decent amount for my PlayBook to put towards my Z10. Might even sell my 9900 along with it as a package . I just know I'm gettin a Z10 first day

To others, yes I know The PlayBook is getting BB10, but I'm not playing that waiting game with BB anymore. This money will also go towards hopefully a newer PlayBook when it comes out...as long as it has upgraded hardware and much better Bridge capabilities
    ajst222 likes this.
    02-24-13 06:26 PM
    Thanks for the advice! I have just been saving for some time specifically for the Z10. My plan right now is that I could buy the Z10 now with my saved money, and then when August comes around with my upgrade, I would then upgrade to the "higher end phones later in the year" promised by BlackBerry. I am happy with my Torch 9850, but I just feel that I am long ready for something new.
    OK well that's fair. There really is no right or wrong course here! It sounds as though you don't need the z10, or your PB.....you'd just like them! :-) If you needed one or the other for some reason....work...or just an app that absolutely important to you, then that would help make it clearer. As it is....if it just comes down to giving up your PB in turn for getting the z10 earlier and sticking to your upgrade timetable....then....it's up to you. In that case, you might be better off saying "what would make me the happiest?" and then going with your first instinct. You could analyze it, and change your mind back and forth, but since this is not a right/wrong or quantifiable question, the "analysis" won't be "solid"....and you'll just keep changing your mind. Maybe talk yourself into something, then regret it later. If it's just about your own happiness, then just say "what will make me happiest?", accept the answer and go with that! That's what I'd say!

(Maybe you can pick up an even cheaper PB later, or maybe you'll want a new model tablet if RIM releases one.....but unfortunately, with the complete fog on the tablet situation, it's a bit hard to say anything about that area! So i wouldn't count on anything there. But of course, in general, the value of tech drops, and drops very fast)
    ajst222 likes this.
    02-24-13 06:27 PM
    Personally, since I got my Z10 I've barely touched my PlayBook.
    ajst222 likes this.
    02-24-13 06:33 PM
    I am with u OP. My main reason for getting a PlayBook was because my 9900 lacked much functionality and a performance I desired. I've had my 64GB PlayBook since day 1...but I will be selling mine. When the Z10 comes to the states, what will be the point in the PlayBook? The Z10 browser is faster, it has access to more apps....it does everything I bought my PlayBook for originally, but better. I love bridging my 9900 and PlayBook, but now that bridge has been crippled between Z10 and PlayBook so that I can't view text messages, there is no point in me having my PlayBook anymore. This is my opinion though. Selling my PlayBook along with its otterbox case, original box, All the cords, and a Xagg Invisible Shield....I'm sure I can get a very decent amount for my PlayBook to put towards my Z10. Might even sell my 9900 along with it as a package . I just know I'm gettin a Z10 first day

To others, yes I know The PlayBook is getting BB10, but I'm not playing that waiting game with BB anymore. This money will also go towards hopefully a newer PlayBook when it comes out...as long as it has upgraded hardware and much better Bridge capabilities
    You actually brought up a point that I didn't even think of: the one about the dumbed down Bridge from the PlayBook to a BB10 device. But my main thing is convenience. Will I like bringing my 15.6" laptop around everywhere in place of the PlayBook? Probably not. But the Z10 does have better specs and performance, especially with Verizon LTE now in my area. The only thing I would really miss from Bridge if I get rid of the PlayBook is the free tethering which would be really sweet with LTE. (BTW, did they do away with that with the version of Bridge to the Z10 anyway or is that still there?)
    02-24-13 06:38 PM
    If you need a tablet then don't do it. If you don't need a tablet then do it. No offense to your friend but he must not be too bright to pay that much. Canada is a higher market than us so no, USA is cheaper. I live in Los Angeles County and I got my playbook for 189. 207 with tax. And its a 64 gig. Not sure but if u feel u can get what u want and don't need it then go for it. Otherwise you have what u need already
    02-24-13 06:47 PM
    I think you'll regret it if you sell the Playbook. Eventually, you'll be able to tether the Playbook to the Z10. Raise the money some other way. Have a garage sale, work some overtime, donate blood or something to buy the Z10.
    02-24-13 06:52 PM
    You actually brought up a point that I didn't even think of: the one about the dumbed down Bridge from the PlayBook to a BB10 device. But my main thing is convenience. Will I like bringing my 15.6" laptop around everywhere in place of the PlayBook? Probably not. But the Z10 does have better specs and performance, especially with Verizon LTE now in my area. The only thing I would really miss from Bridge if I get rid of the PlayBook is the free tethering which would be really sweet with LTE. (BTW, did they do away with that with the version of Bridge to the Z10 anyway or is that still there?)
    The free tethering is still there my friend. As far as the laptop thing, I can see what u mean because I will miss the screen size of my PlayBook since I use it as my laptop at school currently, but like I said before, the Z10 does everything better and faster from what I understand so I really don't have a use for the PlayBook anymore and would rather use the extra cash in my pocket. Its hard to say...I personally think though the awesomeness of the Z10 will make my decision much easier once its done lol. The PlayBook is almost 2 years old. I expect a newer model to comes soon
    02-24-13 07:01 PM
    If you need a tablet then don't do it. If you don't need a tablet then do it. No offense to your friend but he must not be too bright to pay that much. Canada is a higher market than us so no, USA is cheaper. I live in Los Angeles County and I got my playbook for 189. 207 with tax. And its a 64 gig. Not sure but if u feel u can get what u want and don't need it then go for it. Otherwise you have what u need already
    He sold his PlayBook for $185. That was right in line for what they were going for (at least in his area). Someone bought it within 3 hours of it being on Craigslist. He actually had quite a bit of offers.
    02-24-13 07:03 PM
    I think you'll regret it if you sell the Playbook. Eventually, you'll be able to tether the Playbook to the Z10. Raise the money some other way. Have a garage sale, work some overtime, donate blood or something to buy the Z10.
    You can tether them together now but the amount of bridge capabilities have been crippled from what bridge can do between BBOS and PlayBooks. The PlayBook will eventually get BB10, but the question is the OP willing to wait that long, especially when we have no clue or timeline of when that will happen
    02-24-13 07:04 PM
    Right...I don't know when the PlayBook will get BB10. And if it does, will it have good performance? And as Rello said, the PlayBook is nearly 2 years old! It's aging haha.
    02-24-13 07:12 PM
    Yea they're generally more expensive here in the states.
    I can hop on Craigslist right now in LA and pick one up for $70-$90 dollars...
    02-24-13 07:18 PM
    I know someone who just sold his 32gb for $210 haha. Yes they are selling new for $150.... but they are impossible to find in stores now so somebody who wants one bad enough will pay more than store price I guess.

I agree though...I am barely using my PB since I got my z10 on launch, but it is worth much more to me than the amount I could sell it for

Posted via CB10
    ajst222 likes this.
    02-24-13 07:22 PM
    I can hop on Craigslist right now in LA and pick one up for $70-$90 dollars...
    That is crazy cheap! The cheapest one in my area's Craigslist is $120. I guess it really does vary.
    02-24-13 07:23 PM
    I could see myself possibly using my PB less after the Z10 is more fully developed. However, there are certain functions missing at this point, critical to what I do, and I am not willing to go backwards in my business. I must have data security, so need to update Outlook contacts & calendar via USB rather than cloud. I use Bridge constantly for presentations. So it might depend on what it is that you enjoy most about your PB. Plus I agree you won't get much selling your PB. We know how great they are and that free OS updates make it almost a new device, but to others it is two years old.
    02-24-13 07:37 PM
    definitely not. Ideal partner Q10 and Playbook.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    02-24-13 08:04 PM
75 123