I lost my new HTC Touch Pro 2 down a flight of stairs onto concrete .. thanks to my toddler now climbing chairs and grabbing everything he can now.. ::cry:: .. and had no insurance.. so I went with a cheaper, new BBerry, the Curve2 8530 .. from VZW.. and .. well.. I hate to say this.. after 1 week think it's a little ..uh... feminine.. :X .. the IT guys here at work mock me :P ... I have a **** of a time sometimes hitting the right keys with my chubby fingers.. but love the wi-fi .. and look/feel.. not happy with the screen resolution the more I use it browsing... and only a 2 meg camera?

So .. now I'm torn .. exchange and cough up even more dough $ for the Storm2, or hit up maybe.. the Droid Eris.. ?

Primarily I want:
    - web browsing
    - pictures
    - entertainment.video's (DivX support would be sweet)

... though I used to own a Storm 1 and liked it after some tweaks.. Anyone else not too thrilled with the Curve 2 8530 model? Any advice on what to exchange for my needs? Not sure the Storm 2 is what I'd need for the best browsing experience, when the Eris has touch/pinch to zoom and even Flash mobile support.. Unbiased opinions welcomed

Thanks!
    Jeff
    12-11-09 09:17 AM
    Have you given any thought into the Droid? I've played around with one a few times, and the web browsing is really nice, plus it has a 5mp camera. I've used one to download YouTube videos and stuff, and it works really well for that, not quite sure about the DivX support though.

If browsing the web, having the best camera, and easy loading of videos is what you want, I would say go with the Droid. The BB is more suited to the messaging end of the spectrum, you won't find a better messaging phone. While the browser on the BB is ok, it's not going to render a page as nicely as the Droid does, unfortunately, and when I load YouTube videos on my Tour, it isn't presented as seemlessly as it seems to do on the Droid, but none of that stuff matters to me...

Picture the Eris as Droid lite... Same general thing, different package, not as many options.
    12-11-09 09:22 AM
    I agree. It seems you are looking for a very media/consumer driven device and in this case i am going to say Droid might be the better choice. I think the S2 is great too but i am thinking that the droid community will keep creating and updating the phones media capability where as if you have the S2 you won't see the same kind of development.
    12-11-09 09:25 AM
    I agree. It seems you are looking for a very media/consumer driven device and in this case i am going to say Droid might be the better choice. I think the S2 is great too but i am thinking that the droid community will keep creating and updating the phones media capability where as if you have the S2 you won't see the same kind of development.

Well ... I've got $200 bucks plus the $380 back from the Curve 8530, minus the restocking fee I'm sure they're charge me, so I'm not sure I can swing the Droid..and might hop on the Eris bandwagon ... not sure

Jeff
    12-11-09 09:40 AM
    Well that's over $500, how much do they have the Droid retailing for now a days?
    12-11-09 10:14 AM
    Well that's over $500, how much do they have the Droid retailing for now a days?
    Hmm .. well the retail price I paid for this Curve2 8530 was $360. I think after restocking, exchange, my $200 I can kick in .. I'll have $540 maybe .... which means no Droid or Imagio ..

Retail VZW prices:

- Droid Eris retail $470
    - Tour 9630 retail $490
    - HTC Touch Pro2 retail $490
    - Storm 2 retail $540
    - Motorola Droid retail $560
    - HTC Imagiio retail $580
    12-11-09 10:24 AM
    I just called VZW and learned I can cancel all 3 lines (Family Plan) for $370 .. wonder if I should do that and use the $200 cash for an iPhone :P .. lol
    12-11-09 10:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD