K before I get flamed for not searching.... I searched these forums with "Replacing Blackberry Device", "Tips on replacing blackberry device", and a few other convoluted search terms, and got a lot of garbage. So I figger'd I'd start a new topic.

A couple weeks ago I noticed what appeared to be a scratch on the screen of my BB Storm. I assumed it was a scratch because for the first time since I bought it when the Storm was first released, I did something stupid and put it in my jeans pocket during a bike rally, and assumed the coins in my pocket had scratched the screen. I know, I know... stupid to do.

Anyhoo... I came home from work today and pulled out the phone to check on messages, and found that what I had assumed to be a scratch, must have been a crack because it spread across the whole screen. So first thing in the morning I will be calling to have a replacement sent (knock on wood for being smart enough to opt for the insurance).

So my question is this... Can I have my Pin # ported over to the new phone? I have a TON of BBM contacts, both personal and business related. I also have a few App registrations registered against my Pin #, although that is minor since I can contact them directly but it would be nice to be able to carry it over without the hassle.

Also...what kind of headaches (I'm tired so I may just be paranoid) can I expect from the PC's Desktop Manager to recognize the new device as my default device and carry over the information I need to sync.

Anybody who's had to change over to a new device and has advice on making things easier, would be well received.
    05-12-09 03:12 AM
    When you receive the new device, you use the DM to transfer everything from the old to the new...it's really simple and easy to do. When you do this, it will automatically transfer all of your BBM contacts over, and somehow it magically updates all of them with your new PIN, too. The desktop manager has a "device switch" feature, and it really couldn't be easier.
    To answer the other sub-question, though, your old PIN stays with your old phone, and there is nothing you can do about that. You'll probably have to manually update your third party apps that are PIN specific.
    05-12-09 03:44 AM
    You should also log in to the Verizon BIS website and delete the old PIN from your email accts when your replacement BB comes in. You can then add the new PIN to your email accts while you are there, but as bleeps said, it will automatically associate your new PIN to your email accts when your new BB is registered on the network.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-12-09 03:50 AM
    When you receive the new device, you use the DM to transfer everything from the old to the new...it's really simple and easy to do. When you do this, it will automatically transfer all of your BBM contacts over, and somehow it magically updates all of them with your new PIN, too. The desktop manager has a "device switch" feature, and it really couldn't be easier.
    Ah okay... so as long as my DM has online access (or maybe the new device notifies all the contacts?), all my BBM contacts will be updated with my new Pin then? That would make life much easier.
    05-12-09 03:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD