Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    Apologies for being such a thicko; because I adore my Blackberry and because it's been so good to me since 2009 I have never had to know much! Essentially, my beloved trusty Bold 9700, OS 6.0 Bundle 2949 (I'm in the UK, and with Vodafone) finally decided it couldn't interact with the modern world and although I can make calls and send emails, and look at some websites (not TFL or National Rail!) I cannot receive emails. This is crippling. I am wondering how near a Bold I can get, and still be able to receive emails direct.
    I cannot get advice from Vodafone because they laugh so hard that they have to go and have a lie-down.
    And despite my having been with them since 2001, they seem hell-bent on making me spend loads of money on crap I do not need.
    Any advice on what to look for on Ebay? I do apologise as I say for being so clueless. All I want is emails, texts, and a tiny bit of internet!
    How modern must I go?
    12-16-18 04:08 PM
    Be positive :-).

Two weeks ago on a whim I bought a blackberry 9810 7.1 OS NIB.

Why did I buy old tech? I hate touch screen only devices and t-9 texting makes me cry. 3g should be around in the US for at least 2 years and this device will give me a shim until I buy a high durability (cat phone) or senior friendly with a real answer button. Random pair of gloves + touch screen and bad hands equals disaster.

What works:

MMS, SMS, google maps (painfully installed), deezer (happy dance), beeTagg (qr reader), youtube , moderate web browsing.

Note: Nothing was installed via appworld due to no BIS.

I'm afraid I can't tell you about integrated email as I have yet to dive into that rabbit hole. From what I have read no carrier support makes setting it up a pain. I may just use web mail.

Good Luck,

-esc
    Last edited by BigBadWulf; 12-16-18 at 11:43 PM. Reason: advertising
    12-16-18 10:46 PM
    All BBOS devices are likely to be useless a year from now, as BIS and BB World are going away and so are 3G data networks. Unless you are just hoping to kick the can down the road until the end of next year, I recommend against spending any more money on BBOS.

BB10 is also going to lose a lot of its infrastructure a year from now, but it's likely that SMS and emails will still work (at least until RCS completely replaces SMS, which may happen sooner than we think). Web browsing is more of a problem, because BB10, while better than BBOS, is still limited and continuing to become more and more incompatible as standards and features continue to move forward. There are various work-arounds for many sites today, but those could go away at any time, and almost daily, folks report the loss of this or that website or feature.

Thus, it's really hard to recommend something that isn't a modern, actively supported device. Again, with 3G networking going away and 5G networking coming in, plus the move away from GSM calling to 100% VoLTE, a ton of older phones of all brands will soon be either totally incompatible or will have large gaps in network coverage when moving into an area where the bands in use aren't available in the device. And those radio issues are completely separate from the OS/software issues.

Since you're going to have to move on from BBOS sooner or later (either now, or no more than a year from now), and you're going to have to adjust to a different platform anyway, you're better off just moving to either iOS or Android so you only have to make the change once.
    12-16-18 10:56 PM
    If you do want to 'kick the can down the road ' until the end of 2019 go for a blackberry classic.
    However, this is going against recommendations , so the closest you will get is either a keyone, key2 LE, or the key2. Let's see what you can find, good luck!
    12-16-18 11:12 PM
    Apologies for being such a thicko; because I adore my Blackberry and because it's been so good to me since 2009 I have never had to know much! Essentially, my beloved trusty Bold 9700, OS 6.0 Bundle 2949 (I'm in the UK, and with Vodafone) finally decided it couldn't interact with the modern world and although I can make calls and send emails, and look at some websites (not TFL or National Rail!) I cannot receive emails. This is crippling. I am wondering how near a Bold I can get, and still be able to receive emails direct.
    I cannot get advice from Vodafone because they laugh so hard that they have to go and have a lie-down.
    And despite my having been with them since 2001, they seem hell-bent on making me spend loads of money on crap I do not need.
    Any advice on what to look for on Ebay? I do apologise as I say for being so clueless. All I want is emails, texts, and a tiny bit of internet!
    How modern must I go?
    Hey Patricia,

Are you wanting to keep the physical keyboard? Some of us here are still with you on BBOS and BB10, though there are important considerations for using them in this day and age. Let me know whether you definitely want the PKB or not and we can go from there.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-18 01:10 AM
    Hey Patricia,

Are you wanting to keep the physical keyboard? Some of us here are still with you on BBOS and BB10, though there are important considerations for using them in this day and age. Let me know whether you definitely want the PKB or not and we can go from there.

Posted via CB10
    Oh goodness ABSOLUTELY! Yes sorry. I didn't make that clear. I write reams of emails without looking down. On trains and buses and the Underground. Yes, physical keyboard.
    12-17-18 02:16 AM
    "Any advice on what to look for on Ebay? I do apologise as I say for being so clueless. All I want is emails, texts, and a tiny bit of internet! "

Sounds like your BIS service got disconnected. (?)

Similar use here. Calls, texts, Outlook emails/calendar/contacts. Tune-In radio. A voice recorder. Anything else taken care off with a laptop.

So: BB10 phones still work as feature phones plus and don't need BIS.

Keyboard phones: Classic Q20: (toolbar- but no removable battery) Q10: removable battery but no toolbar. Touch-screen: Leap, Z30 etc. Apps still available on BBWorld.

I got a new Q10 (White) for £59 on Ebay UK last week. (See the Q10 thread.) Works on Three UK 4G, and presumably Vodafone UK 4G.

It updated to current BB10 OS with Amazon app-store if that's useful.

Added a flip case. No toolbar but touchscreen and trad keyboard integrate fine. Assistant means you can dictate stuff. :-) Spare batteries around on Ebay.

Mine came from this guy. Next day delivery. £59.00. Originally £550 in the UK. Excellent as a daily work phone.

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=rxzX3QeH
    Last edited by Sue-zz; 12-17-18 at 04:04 AM.
    12-17-18 03:49 AM
    I think problem here is whether or not you want short or long term solution. It appears that you’re operating from not really needing mobile devices in mainstream usage pattern.

The problem is that older devices of any kind may not be compatible in another year regarding older networks. Buying some kind of new inexpensive device from carrier now should guarantee you basic service longer than older device. The reality is that none of us here knows what’s really going to happen regarding 5G upgrades and it’s effects on current mobile coverage, talk or data..
    12-17-18 05:33 AM
    I am coming from Android (Galaxy S7). Tired of sending all my info to Google. Contemplated a Key2, but its still running Android, and you are probably limited in how much you personal data you can keep from Google. I ended up ordering a Z30 from EBay for about $85. I am used to a software keyboard, and would prefer the larger screen instead. Can anyone give me an idea on how long I can expect to be able to run this phone. Really wish new Blackberry phones weren't Android!
    12-20-18 12:14 PM
    I am coming from Android (Galaxy S7). Tired of sending all my info to Google. Contemplated a Key2, but its still running Android, and you are probably limited in how much you personal data you can keep from Google. I ended up ordering a Z30 from EBay for about $85. I am used to a software keyboard, and would prefer the larger screen instead. Can anyone give me an idea on how long I can expect to be able to run this phone. Really wish new Blackberry phones weren't Android!
    It really depends on what you use a phone for, if you are dependent on apps or merely call and text, and also depends how far 'Plan Chuck Finley ' gets carried out. ;-)

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1160987
    Last edited by Ben xfg; 12-20-18 at 05:08 PM.
    Chuck Finley69 likes this.
    12-20-18 04:37 PM
    It really depends on what you use a phone for, if you are dependent on apps or merely call and text, and also depends how far 'Plan Chuck Finley ' gets carried out. ;-)

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1160987
    I like that... Plan Chuck Finley......
    12-20-18 05:29 PM
  12. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Oh goodness ABSOLUTELY! Yes sorry. I didn't make that clear. I write reams of emails without looking down. On trains and buses and the Underground. Yes, physical keyboard.
    Try to get a Passport... perfect for emails....still

Posted via CB10
    12-22-18 09:31 AM