Hi all

This is actually my first post, so I do hope it's in the right place and appropriate!

For a long time now I've been a Nokia smartphone user, but I'm now planning on switching over to Blackberry. The mainreason for this is that Nokia are no longer making smartphones without touchscreens - and I can't abide them. My current phone is a Nokia E6, which has both a Qwerty keypad and a touchscreen - but many functions only work via the touchscreen.

What I'd be looking for is a fairly high-spec phone with a quick processor and plenty of memory etc., and obviously no touchscreen. I use my phone, beyond normal communication, for web browsing, GPS/mapping, and various other apps, playing MP3s, listening to FM radio, and occasionally taking photos (though camera quality isn't that important).

I'd want something with decent battery life. I'm not bothere about styling, weight etc.

I'd be really grateful for any recommendations.

Thanks very much!

PS I'm based in Britain, though I suspect that the same BB models are sold with the same spec worldwide?
    10-26-12 12:57 PM
    in my opinion the curve 9360 is quite good, it runs the latest operating system, is quite quick and is like a miniature bold 9900 generally. the only bad thing about it is that the screen is small and the curve keyboard whilst great to type on isnt as great as a bold keypad.

i would say if you really like the bold 9900 you could diy it and remove the digitiser/damage it slightly to stop it working making it like a normal non touch. not sure how well thatd work
    10-26-12 01:46 PM
    Having a touchscreen is not that bad. Its actually quite useful. It makes launching apps, scrolling up and down web pages, and skipping tracks while listening to music soooooo easy and efficient!

The 9900/30 is the perfect device. The touchscreen + trackpad + keyboard combo is the BEST ever!
    wendybeee likes this.
    10-26-12 01:56 PM
    I would have to say the 9780 is still the best non touch screen BB.
    10-26-12 02:20 PM
    Thanks to all the above for the very helpful responses (already!).

For me a touchscreen is definitely a "deal-breaker", because even if you can work without using it, I think there's a tendency for software developers to produce apps that end up requiring you to use it - and you still have the annoying unpredictable behaviour if you inadvertently touch it, or just giving it a wipe...

So it's sounding as though I want to be looking at a 9360 or a 9780? At this risk of asking a slightly "Let me Google that for you" type of question, which of those is the better?

Thanks again - much appreciated!
    10-26-12 03:04 PM

For me a touchscreen is definitely a "deal-breaker", because even if you can work without using it, I think there's a tendency for software developers to produce apps that end up requiring you to use it - and you still have the annoying unpredictable behaviour if you inadvertently touch it, or just giving it a wipe...

So it's sounding as though I want to be looking at a 9360 or a 9780? At this risk of asking a slightly "Let me Google that for you" type of question, which of those is the better?

Without a question, the better phone is 9780 (IMO). I believe most Bolds are better than most curves. The Bold has a much better keyboard and often a better camera. Battery life is a tossup.
    10-26-12 03:12 PM
    i would say have a look at some youtube videos of reviews and hands on for each device and see which looks like itd be nicer to use for you and itll give you a nice visual preview in addition to replies to this thread with peoples reccomendations, i agree that bolds have a MUCH nicer keypad although curves do feel quite nice to type on too so you cant really notice it unless youve owned a bold first (if that makes sense lol). basically curves have a more clicky, raised keypad and bolds are much wider, softer yet sturdy to type on and your fingers never get sore with lots of typing on either

never owned a 9780 so i couldnt say which i think is better but my curves battery lasted all day after updating the os to 7.1, reccommend getting a larger battery for it if you want it to last late into the evening, it has os 7 which is speedy and the newest whereas im sure the bold has os6 (still good and it has themebuilder so its way more customizable)

heres a side by side comparison of specs and performance
    RIM BlackBerry Curve 9360 vs BlackBerry Bold 9780 - Our Analysis
    10-26-12 04:31 PM
    I have not used the 9780 either so I can't speak to that. I will second the recommendation of the Curve 9360 though. As far as entry level Blackberry's go I found it to be very capable. My dad has one for work and I've played around with it a lot and RIM really got it right with this Curve. I've always loved the Curve line of phones but in the past I did find that they were always lacking in relation to the Bolds and Torches etc. But the 9360 has a great display, great keyboard (not as clicky and loose as previous generations) and it runs OS7 extremely well. It's also newer in relation to the 9780 so it may be easier to find. The form factor is great and it is nice and thin too.
    10-26-12 04:54 PM
    9780 without a doubt, best phone Blackberry ever made before the 9900. Super battery, small, great keyboard.The down side would be a slower
    processor and a little bit behind os. I already miss that phone. Just my opinion
    10-26-12 05:39 PM
    9360 or 9310 IMHO
    10-26-12 08:48 PM
    One important point, there's far more, and cheaper, accessories for the 9780. Ebay is full of them.
    10-27-12 04:54 AM
    Ah, looks like someone is fighting change. Quit the the fight and embrace it.
    10-27-12 05:03 AM
    If you need highest specs possible, go for 9780
    10-27-12 05:15 AM
    Innovation is not always better.

The 9780 is the best blackberry.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780
    10-27-12 05:19 AM
    I upgraded from the 9650 to the 9850, and then to the 9930 only because I wanted a keyboard. My wife is still using my 9650 because she refuses to even give a 9930 a chance, saying she doesn't like the touchscreen. It took me maybe 30 minutes to become accustomed to it, I've never inadvertently swiped too high on the trackpad and done something I didn't intend to do, and things are just SO much easier/quicker to select on the screen rather than using the trackpad to select & push - just touch your selection & you're done! Give the touchscreen a chance - you'll have to eventually if you stick with BB.

Or buy yourself a couple new Curves, and stockpile them. Whatever works for you.
    bahandi likes this.
    10-27-12 08:43 AM
    The 9360, technically speaking, is the better phone. It has the internals to actually run os7. I've had time with the 9780 and 9360, and frankly, the 9360 is smoother, faster, and more capable. They have the same camera as well. The only reason, I think, that anyone would ever want a 9780 over 9360 is that the best keyboard possible is a mandatory requirement. The 9360 is thinner, lighter, and runs 7.1(making it a noticably more capable phone in responsiveness and features). If you are willing to give that up for the kb of a 9780, then get the latter. That's basically what it boils down to.
    mithrazor and grover5 like this.
    10-27-12 10:21 AM

Trust me, the touchscreen on the 9930 is nowhere near as annoying as a full touchscreen phone. I've never inadvertently swiped the screen. The touchscreen isn't glitchy at all. I think these days if you're gonna get a Blackberry you might as well get the best.

Most of the apps that use the touchscreen are just for choosing buttons or clicking to insert text. You don't type from the touchscreen and 9/10 you can still use the app with the trackpad. I really think you should give it a chance. It's nothing like you're expecting.
    wendybeee likes this.
    10-27-12 05:19 PM
    My vote goes to the 9900 eh. The best blackberry I've owned
    wendybeee likes this.
    10-27-12 05:27 PM
    New Curve. OS 7 is a lot better than earlier OS'es. The new curve has better hardware. In fact for the OS 7 devices RIM actually bumped hardware (processor and memory a lot). This makes a lot of difference in web browsing.

Yeah the keyboard is not a bold and yet once you are used to it it will be perfectly fine to use.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-28-12 12:01 AM
    Bold 9000 is the best one!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-28-12 12:18 AM
    I would say either a new Bold 9790 or a Curve 9310/20.

I say these models because these ones in my experience have the best BlackBerry experience. The 9310/20 in particular offer fantastic battery life, the latest OS, pretty good build quality and decent camera quality plus no touchscreen.

The 9790 has all that plus better materials a better keyboard IMO, though not as good a battery life and it has a touchscreen. But the thing I find with BlackBerry touchscreens is just because you have them, doesn't actually mean you have to use the touch features. The phone can be operated quite easily with the keyboard and trackpad so getting a touchscreen BB like the 9790 would not really ruin your user experience as much as your Nokia possibly has.
    10-28-12 12:28 AM
    Bold 9000 is the best one!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Oh how I miss my old 9000!
    10-28-12 12:29 AM
    Some really useful advice here again - thanks very much indeed.

One thing I was indeed wondering about was battery life: at present if I'm intensively using my Nokia E6, I only just get through one day's use - that's if I'm for example using GPS mapping for a long journey for much of the day, plus browsing the internet (though not using push e-mail - I often just pick up my Google mails via the browser instead). During the working week when I'm just in the office and not doing much beyond basic calling and texting, I get about 2-3 days' use between charges. This certainly isn't as good as my old Nokia E71, where I could often go Monday to Friday between charges, but it's OK.

I wouldn't want something worse than that - would the Blackberries I'm considering manage something similar? I've read something odd about newer BB models actually having smaller batteries (in mAh terms) than older ones - which seems odd!

One other (linked) question: I've heard that the Blackberry mapping software isn't much cop, and people often download Google Maps. GM is fair enough but usually needs an active internet connection, so less good when roaming abroad of course. Are there other good mapping apps available for BB?

Once again, thanks to you all - and apologies if some of my questions are a bit "newbie"!
    10-28-12 07:18 AM
    Some really useful advice here again - thanks very much indeed.

One thing I was indeed wondering about was battery life: at present if I'm intensively using my Nokia E6, I only just get through one day's use - that's if I'm for example using GPS mapping for a long journey for much of the day, plus browsing the internet (though not using push e-mail - I often just pick up my Google mails via the browser instead). During the working week when I'm just in the office and not doing much beyond basic calling and texting, I get about 2-3 days' use between charges. This certainly isn't as good as my old Nokia E71, where I could often go Monday to Friday between charges, but it's OK.

I wouldn't want something worse than that - would the Blackberries I'm considering manage something similar? I've read something odd about newer BB models actually having smaller batteries (in mAh terms) than older ones - which seems odd!

One other (linked) question: I've heard that the Blackberry mapping software isn't much cop, and people often download Google Maps. GM is fair enough but usually needs an active internet connection, so less good when roaming abroad of course. Are there other good mapping apps available for BB?

Once again, thanks to you all - and apologies if some of my questions are a bit "newbie"!
    I can't speak to exactly how good the battery life is on a new Curve but you are buying at the right time. The early versions of BlackBerry OS 7 had much worse battery life in general I think than the latest 7.1 builds.

I have a Bold 9930. It should get worse battery life than a Curve. I leave on GPS all the time and also run the cell radio (of course) and WiFi all the time. Bluetooth too. And I am still at about 40% at day's end unless I am really using the phone heavily.
    10-28-12 04:03 PM
    I would say the Bold 9900 or Torch 9810. I know they are both qwerty, and touch screen devices. I've personally owned both and enjoyed them. My brother currently has the 9900 as well but DOESN'T use the touch screen one bit.
    You can use these phones without actually touching the screen.

I would pick one of those phones because they have the best screen size, and or best physical keyboard.
    10-28-12 05:30 PM
41 12