Hello all.
    New to smart phones, after reading endless reviews, decided on BB, then more reviews, it's going to be the bb bold 9650, which is the only bold my carrier handles. My carrier is US Cellular which has the largest area here in BFE. Anyway, one of the attractions to the smartphone is that it's a PDA as well. Which apps does everyone find the most useful? I will need to monitor the weather as I travel a fair distance to work. Also GPS, and another question is the memory cards. Do the large cards work well in the phones, or has anyone had issues with them? I will be downloading an app that uses 8GB of space and would like to have lots of space for pics, music, other useful apps. Do you find your memory gets eaten up quickly?
    Thanks in advance,
    zack
    11-12-10 11:15 AM
    holy crap, what kind of app is 8gb? you can't store apps on the microsd card, so you might be out of luck with that.

the gps works pretty well. i don't use the verizon navigator, but i use google maps. in the rare case i need directions, i don't need turn by turn directions, if i just have a map and a highlighted line i'm fine. it'll get your position within a few metres.

and for weather, i don't use an app. i have my browser homepage as my local wunderground page
    11-12-10 11:21 AM
    Apps:
    Worldmate - Great travel app (which also does weather, itenary, etc)
    tripit - another good travel app (same as worldmate)
    google maps - nice free GPS mapping application, also search for businesses/etc

re: memory cards - the large cards work fine; For clarification, what app is this that is 8GB??? (your phone only has 512mb of application space. All blackberry applications are stored on the phone's memory, not on the memory card)

I would go with a 16gb card and you sould have plenty of space for pics and music in addition to this "8gb app" lol.
    11-12-10 11:24 AM
    I'm curious about this 8GB app...anyway as far as apps go, the google mobile suite is nice. Humm..I'm also partial to Weatherbug for my weather. That's about all I can think of...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-12-10 11:31 AM
    Thank you for your responses and advice. The app. is a medical dictionary, so not sure if it is an actual "app." or not. Found it here on crackberry under the medical section; am in the medical field and thought it would come in handy at times. Will go with the 16 GB card then. Will items on the memory card show up in the menu, or will I need to open the card itself to access any files stored there?
    Thanks, zack
    11-12-10 11:33 AM
    i doubt the app is 8gb. Java apps (which is what blackberry runs on) tend to compress apps and the largest blackberry app ive seen is 3mb.
    Anyway the best weather app by far is berryweather, its expensive ($10) but its well worth it and most everyone will agree.
    11-12-10 11:37 AM
    i doubt the app is 8gb. Java apps (which is what blackberry runs on) tend to compress apps and the largest blackberry app ive seen is 3mb.
    Anyway the best weather app by far is berryweather, its expensive ($10) but its well worth it and most everyone will agree.
    I'm cheap, and not sure how many more bells and whistles I'd need in order to know the weather, than what Weatherbug (free) provides. How much do you need to know about the weather? What I want is current and predicted temps, wind, and forecast. I'm not in charge of launching the space shuttle, so that pretty much gives me the necessary info...
    11-12-10 11:40 AM
    A re-post (with a couple of changes) from 3rd party apps forum.

I thinks apps are dependent on who are using them and their interests. With that said I'll give you a list of ones that I have and use.

The ones that I use most frequently in no real order:
    BerryBuzz - to customize your BB led for a lot of apps and contacts
    ScoreMobile for BlackBerry - great app for keeping up with most major sports scores
    Gtalk - handy app to chat with those not using BBs
    Ka-glom - a fun game to kill some time
    QuickLaunch - a very handy utility app that allows you to keyboard shortcut just about anything.
    nwsclient - my favorite weather client
    Weatherbug - I use it to compare to nws and I like its hourly forcast better
    BerryWeather - Starting to be my favorite weather client
    CaptureIt - an app to screen capture your BB (recently deleted for space and QuickLaunch includes this feature)
    Google maps - handy for directions, etc
    Twitter by BlackBerry - I like the "push" updates and doesn't eat my battery like ubertwitter
    Ubertwitter - I like the interface and the ability to log into multiple accounts
    CrackBerry launcher - name says it all
    AppWorld - to update and find some new apps
    Ebay - to keep up with my ebay account and auctions integrates with the calendar

Apps that I don't use as often but still have installed:
    Google mobile app -
    Gmail app - sometimes handy but I like the integrated mail client better
    Flickr - really wish there was a picassa app but this one works
    ITookThisOnMyPhone - another handy picture uploader
    BBSsh - a handy ssh client
    Dictionary.com - to find spellings and a handy thesaurus
    Amazon -

Web launchers (yes a Bookmark does the same thing but they are handy sometimes)
    Espn.com
    Washingtonpost.com
    Cnn.com

I hope you find something useful in this list.
    11-12-10 11:46 AM
    Hey Doc.
    Yes, that is quite a list and gives me much to check into. As for the dictionary, I am only going by what the description says on it's size, and am assuming it is quite complete and detailed for such a large file. As for the weather, I commute one hour, all of which is on a paved road in the country, few houses/farms along the way, in a small 2 seater sports car with a whooping 3" between my **** and the pavement . So anything over a 2" snow can give me problems. I would appreciate radar image, and active moving radar as well so I can see if anything is coming. I am looking forward to getting my BB and start learning to use it, my local provider has told me to hold out until black friday, as many smart phones will be on special. Not sure at this point though if the bold will be one of them.
    zack
    11-12-10 11:57 AM
    BerryWeather has the best radar updates that I have seen. But I'm not sure how often it is updated.
    11-12-10 03:15 PM
    the most important advice is not to listen to Matrix Leader.

Other than that, search and enjoy the forums, and feel free to ask questions
    11-12-10 03:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD