Hi guys, im from Singapore and currently using a BB bold 9000 under Singtel. I will be leaving singapore to study in North Carolina for a year this august. I need some advice with regards to the carriers over there and would really appreciate any help.

1)Are there any prepaid cards which will allow me to continue using my 9000 and provides BIS as well? I dont think i can get a contracted line because i will only be there for a year! I really need my bb and bis though..

2)What are the alternatives if the above is not possible?

3)which carriers would be good in terms of reception and price for the area that im going to?

Thank you guys so much!
    03-21-10 01:32 PM
    The greatest data coverage is going to be Verizon. They (as well as most others, probably) have one year contract options. If you wont be traveling anywhere else in the US and AT&T has good data coverage in that part of NC, that would be a good option as well. You con go to the carrier web sites and search for data maps to view coverage in particular geographic areas. Check Sprint maps as well.
    03-21-10 02:09 PM
    I'm pretty sure tmobile offers bis on prepay. Coverage is by far the worst of the big four carriers in the US.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-21-10 02:24 PM
    "North Carolina" is a relatively wide area. Carriers that might have good coverage in the coastal areas might not have good coverage in the mountains.

Where exactly are you going to be studying? What school?

As noted above, only TMobile offers BlackBerry on Pre-Pay in the US.

The best thing to do might be to contact others who are at the school you are going to and ask what kind of coverage they get with different carriers.
    03-21-10 02:31 PM
    hey, i'll be going to university of north carolina, chapel hill. I saw some stuff in some threads regarding how the pre-paid sim card will be locked onto the pre-paid phone or something along those lines? would that be true?

thanks for the replies so far guys!
    03-21-10 07:58 PM
    should be able to use your own
    03-21-10 08:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD