I know a trap when I see one. Apple is giving people little tidbits to go apple all the way. the WWDC discussed how if you have the iPhone,iPod,iBook,etc. you could automatically download stuff between devices. Nice, right?

What they did not say is that they are playing catch up to google, amazon, and others and that you could already do that with blackberry using dropbox, amazon MP3, or 7digital (very nicely).
    The fee, which was briefly mentioned, just waiting for the build-up of data. The problem for me was that they will lure you in but you really need to use all apple stuff to make it beneficial. Then... "gotcha!". Apple has always been more expensive but they are hitting a critical mass like Microsoft did and like old softie they have already tried a few nefarious things in my view with developer restrictions and their choice not to support flash.
    Google and apple track your location and google reads your e-mail (via algorithms) to sell you stuff.
    I love my torch and the fact that I can use a system that is secure, has great e-mail, does not track me unless I tell it to, respects my privacy, has great and growing apps and does not force me to use their stuff. By the way, my playbook has 10% more processing power than the ipad2, 50% more RAM, dual speakers (yes, ipad2 only has 1 speaker on the bottom right), better cameras, full flash support and a great size for a mobile device.

No thanks apple. I still love RIMM and oh yeah, the physical keyboard rocks!
    rollingrock1988 and Dapper37 like this.
    06-09-11 01:15 PM
    I see where you are coming from but you have to know that execution and marketing are key. RIM is still.... new to both of these.
    06-09-11 02:37 PM
    I know a trap when I see one. Apple is giving people little tidbits to go apple all the way. the WWDC discussed how if you have the iPhone,iPod,iBook,etc. you could automatically download stuff between devices. Nice, right?

What they did not say is that they are playing catch up to google, amazon, and others and that you could already do that with blackberry using dropbox, amazon MP3, or 7digital (very nicely).The fee, which was briefly mentioned, just waiting for the build-up of data. The problem for me was that they will lure you in but you really need to use all apple stuff to make it beneficial. Then... "gotcha!". Apple has always been more expensive but they are hitting a critical mass like Microsoft did and like old softie they have already tried a few nefarious things in my view with developer restrictions and their choice not to support flash.
    Google and apple track your location and google reads your e-mail (via algorithms) to sell you stuff.
    I love my torch and the fact that I can use a system that is secure, has great e-mail, does not track me unless I tell it to, respects my privacy, has great and growing apps and does not force me to use their stuff. By the way, my playbook has 10% more processing power than the ipad2, 50% more RAM, dual speakers (yes, ipad2 only has 1 speaker on the bottom right), better cameras, full flash support and a great size for a mobile device.

During a keynote address, I just don't see them saying something like this lol

Can you imagine Steve Jobs standing there saying, "However, Blackberry already does this!!"

LOL
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    06-09-11 02:57 PM

What they did not say is that they are playing catch up to google, amazon, and others and that you could already do that with blackberry using dropbox, amazon MP3, or 7digital (very nicely).
    The fee, which was briefly mentioned, just waiting for the build-up of data. The problem for me was that they will lure you in but you really need to use all apple stuff to make it beneficial. Then... "gotcha!". Apple has always been more expensive but they are hitting a critical mass like Microsoft did and like old softie they have already tried a few nefarious things in my view with developer restrictions and their choice not to support flash.

playbook and ipad both have 1Ghz CPUs so i am not sure why you think the PB has 10% more
    06-09-11 05:11 PM
    Can you imagine Steve Jobs standing there saying, "However, Blackberry already does this!!"
    Nope, sure can't. But 4 years ago I couldn't imagine Apple selling 19 million iPhones in a quarter, either. I guess my imagination is a bit small.
    Last edited by Economist101; 06-09-11 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Clarity
    06-09-11 05:18 PM
    playbook and ipad both have 1Ghz CPUs so i am not sure why you think the PB has 10% more
    This one goes up to eleven!

Totally irrelevant, but it just popped into my head so I had to post it.
    06-09-11 05:43 PM
    06-09-11 05:48 PM
    im guessing because lots of blogs reported it as being underclocked to 900mhz on the ipad2.

also what i find funny is the lockscreen, it shows you have messages and their content! privacy much? plus im willing to bet the imessages syncing to your ipad that the missus is using at home is gonna cause some issues for people who dont think about that lol.

but funniest is if anyone watched the keynote you could blink and miss the comment about s/mime for business, they may as well of not said it or jus said 'meh, not too interested in business stuff' lol
    06-09-11 10:12 PM
    im guessing because lots of blogs reported it as being underclocked to 900mhz on the ipad2.

also what i find funny is the lockscreen, it shows you have messages and their content! privacy much?
    The user can select alerts that show either 1) the sender's name/phone number only and the words "text message" or 2) name/phone number plus the first line or so of the message. While you are absolutely entitled to your opinion, it's more powerful if the facts are consistent with what you're saying

plus im willing to bet the imessages syncing to your ipad that the missus is using at home is gonna cause some issues for people who dont think about that lol
    Good point. Maybe Apple should design products that do a better job of helping people cheat on significant others/spouses. I can see the tagline already: "If you want to play Angry Birds, get an iPhone. If you want to cheat on your wife, get a BlackBerry."

but funniest is if anyone watched the keynote you could blink and miss the comment about s/mime for business, they may as well of not said it or jus said 'meh, not too interested in business stuff' lol
    The average consumer has no idea what S/MIME is, and I don't recall a single mainstream news story reporting its addition. As for the developers in attendance, I'm assuming they didn't need a whole lot of explanation.
    06-09-11 10:26 PM
    does not track me unless I tell it to, respects my privacy, has great and growing apps and does not force me to use their stuff.
    You do know you are being tracked right this minute, right?
    K Bear likes this.
    06-09-11 11:31 PM
    The user can select alerts that show either 1) the sender's name/phone number only and the words "text message" or 2) name/phone number plus the first line or so of the message. While you are absolutely entitled to your opinion, it's more powerful if the facts are consistent with what you're saying

Good point. Maybe Apple should design products that do a better job of helping people cheat on significant others/spouses. I can see the tagline already: "If you want to play Angry Birds, get an iPhone. If you want to cheat on your wife, get a BlackBerry."

The average consumer has no idea what S/MIME is, and I don't recall a single mainstream news story reporting its addition. As for the developers in attendance, I'm assuming they didn't need a whole lot of explanation.
    erm, ok, no need to be so defensive, i got my 'facts' from watching the keynote where none if the settings of the lockscreen were mentioned. so based on the facts presented to me by apple im right. but even the fact that you can have it show that means ya may as well leave ya phone unlocked anyways!

and while s/mime might not be of interest to consumers, wwdc is not a consumer event, its for the developers and partly for the media, the fact they paid it no more than lip service shows the little ammount they care for the business market.
    06-09-11 11:44 PM
    erm, ok, no need to be so defensive, i got my 'facts' from watching the keynote where none if the settings of the lockscreen were mentioned.
    You actually watch that? Wow. I just read a summary.

Yeah they didn't really discuss any settings, so I guess to you that means there aren't any. Great reasoning there.

but even the fact that you can have it show that means ya may as well leave ya phone unlocked anyways!
    Yes, users can choose to leave devices unlocked. You got 'em there.

and while s/mime might not be of interest to consumers, wwdc is not a consumer event, its for the developers and partly for the media, the fact they paid it no more than lip service shows the little ammount they care for the business market.
    Oh, but the keynote *is* a consumer event. You're neither a member of the media nor an iOS developer (otherwise you'd know about the setting), yet you got your 'facts' from watching it. It appears your own behavior is inconsistent with the statements you're making.

As for the business market, you're right, I really don't think Apple cares all that much, which is why it's mighty nice of RIM to make it easier for admins to manage iOS and Android devices right alongside BBs.
    Last edited by Economist101; 06-10-11 at 12:37 AM. Reason: clarity
    brucep1 likes this.
    06-10-11 12:35 AM
    Good point. Maybe Apple should design products that do a better job of helping people cheat on significant others/spouses. I can see the tagline already: 'If you want to play Angry Birds, get an iPhone. If you want to cheat on your wife, get a BlackBerry.'
    Apple is family values. Okay. I'll take the security and privacy of BlackBerry any day over Apple's values (or its cloud).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-10-11 05:40 AM
    Oh, but the keynote *is* a consumer event. You're neither a member of the media nor an iOS developer (otherwise you'd know about the setting), yet you got your 'facts' from watching it. It appears your own behavior is inconsistent with the statements you're making..
    No Its not a consumer event, most consumers have no idea what WWDC even is. If a consumer like you or myself watches or fallows conferences like WWDC or Blackberry World its because we are tech savvy people who have interest in gadgets and upcoming software.

Stop talking out of your @ss, you sound like a moron...
    06-10-11 10:48 AM
    its a tech consumer event. Its the time you get your info from Apple. These are the events that millions of people actually tune into and find out the newest from apple camp. Its not for your average joe but more consumers tune in it than any other tech event for a company im sure.
    06-10-11 11:05 AM
    On RIM devices you need a 3rd party app to run another 3rd party service...
    Not ALL RIM devices, just the playbook for now... because like I said above, it just came out less than 2 months ago.

Dropbox made their official App for the BlackBerry Smartphone, and im sure they will make one for the playbook soon.

its the same story with most 3rd party services, like the Amazon Kindle app. theres an official app made for the BlackBerry Smartphone, but its still in the works for the playbook.
    06-10-11 11:51 AM
    I corrected my post with the word some*. Do you agree with the OP?
    No. I just saw your post and thought i'd let you know that we still can have access to Dropbox via a great 3rd party app for now, until Dropbox makes one.

and even though the iOS platform has way more apps than BB, its the same situation for them...

Did you know there is NO official Gtalk (Google Talk) Application for the iPhone? Instead theres a buttload of 3rd party apps to provide this service in the Apple App Store. But there is an official Gtalk app for Blackberry Smartphone.

Also there is NO official Facebook Application for the iPad? Instead there's a buttload of separate 3rd party apps to provide Facebook and FB chat in the Apple App Store. But there is an official Facebook app for Blackberry PlayBook.

You see? its a pretty common situation on most platforms, it doesn't mean that one platform sucks compared to the other because 3rd party developers wish to provide a service to the users that's not currently there at the moment. Does Windows suck compared to Mac OSX just because Twitter makes an official app for the Mac but not for windows? Nope.

The only thing I will agree with, is that the very much welcomed upgrade in features for iOS5 have already been available for BlackBerry and Android devices for years, so its nothing new or "revolutionary" ... as they call all their iOS devices.

Even with all the negative news about RIM lately, its pretty laughable that it took Apple 3, 4, and 5 generations of iPhone to bring simple things like Copy n Pasting, Multitasking, and a better notifications respectively.... not to mention the BBM ripoff lol.
    elvin1983 and quik4life like this.
    06-10-11 01:06 PM
    And it has taken RIM just as long to build on features others had and they did not. Big deal. They all copy and have missing features. Apple and Google are not as much chasing RIM as filling in features. While RIM may not be chasing them in your mind, the problem as I see it is that a large portion of the public and the press think they are.
    06-11-11 10:43 AM
    And it has taken RIM just as long to build on features others had and they did not. Big deal. They all copy and have missing features. Apple and Google are not as much chasing RIM as filling in features. While RIM may not be chasing them in your mind, the problem as I see it is that a large portion of the public and the press think they are.
    Correct and that's because a large portion of the public do not like to think for themselves. Advertising and what supposed smart people say in blogs etc. works. So whatever the powers to be are pushing a large portion of the public will think that is what is great. Goes for anything like performers, shoes, diets etc.
    06-11-11 11:05 AM
    No Its not a consumer event, most consumers have no idea what WWDC even is. If a consumer like you or myself watches or fallows conferences like WWDC or Blackberry World its because we are tech savvy people who have interest in gadgets and upcoming software.
    It's a consumer event in the sense that every announcement is reported by many mainstream media outlets. BB World doesn't hit CNN; the WWDC keynote (and every other Apple event) does.

Stop talking out of your @ss, you sound like a moron...
    You first.
    06-11-11 11:16 AM
    No. I just saw your post and thought i'd let you know that we still can have access to Dropbox via a great 3rd party app for now, until Dropbox makes one.

and even though the iOS platform has way more apps than BB, its the same situation for them...
    Not really. There is afterall a first-party DropBox app which supports all iOS devices. The same applies for Hulu, Kindle, Netflix, etc. If you want to argue PlayBook over iPad because of Flash, portability or interface, then go right ahead, but don't fall into an app comparison. You're going to lose that one.
    06-11-11 11:22 AM
    While RIM may not be chasing them in your mind, the problem as I see it is that a large portion of the public and the press think they are.
    And that does indicate a problem ... in the generally stupid public.

06-11-11 11:52 AM
    Not really. There is afterall a first-party DropBox app which supports all iOS devices. The same applies for Hulu, Kindle, Netflix, etc. If you want to argue PlayBook over iPad because of Flash, portability or interface, then go right ahead, but don't fall into an app comparison. You're going to lose that one.
    you need to learn how to read, and quit splitting hairs. lol
    06-11-11 01:05 PM
    And that does indicate a problem ... in the generally stupid public.

LOL 98% of the people who hate BlackBerries, or dont know what makes a BlackBerry great, have never even used one. I my self was one of those idiots until I picked one up and f**king used one.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    06-11-11 01:16 PM
    LOL 98% of the people who hate BlackBerries, or dont know what makes a BlackBerry great, have never even used one. I my self was one of those idiots until I picked one up and f**king used one.
    And you know this how? Seriously, making assumptions just makes your argument null & void.
    06-11-11 02:26 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD