crazyyyyyyyy

10 char
    Last edited by darogers; 02-22-12 at 08:58 AM.
    03-07-11 09:28 PM
    No, you're not being strange or silly, there are a number of folks I've known that have done that very thing just to be able to upgrade something they liked better. More power to ya!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-07-11 09:52 PM
    I added a line so I could get BOGO on two 9650s.
    Took the new line, and my old number ends in December so it all works out.
    03-07-11 09:55 PM
    I have wondered about this. I am on Verizon, $30 data plan required. So they must pay the remainder of the old contract (with data fee) and pay the new plan (with data fee)? That's insane. I have never wanted anything that bad. How is it cheaper than just buying it outright? I supposed it depends on how much is left of the old plan. But then why not beg for an early upgrade?

03-07-11 09:56 PM
    I have wondered about this. I am on Verizon, $30 data plan required. So they must pay the remainder of the old contract (with data fee) and pay the new plan (with data fee)? That's insane. I have never wanted anything that bad. How is it cheaper than just buying it outright? I supposed it depends on how much is left of the old plan. But then why not beg for an early upgrade?

Not exactly, the data plan isn't required for the length of the contract, just the monthly $10 for the extra line.

I just added a line to get my mom the iPhone on Verizon. The end result is a very cheap iPhone. The other lines on the account are ending here in November. We have 3 smartphones, 1 dumbphone (just a spare phone we use), and the new added line. Verizon actually put a dummy IMEI # on our new line, so no phone is even associated with the new line. When November comes along we will transfer the dumbphone to the new line that was created when we got the iPhone.

Here's what it cost:

16GB IPhone 4: $200
    Extra line: $90 ($10 per month for 9 months) add some extra for taxes each month.

So we got a $650 iPhone for about $300. We love Verizon so extending the contract was something that doesn't matter.

Also, being that the iPhone was instantly moved to an existing line on the account I was able to keep the $15/150mb data plan on the iPhone.

Adding a line really depends on the individual, sometimes it can save money and sometimes it doesn't. The individual needs to just do the math before throwing money at it.

03-07-11 10:15 PM
    I didn't realize the data wasn't required for the full length of the contract. It must be somehow prorated? Either way, there is no phone appealing enough for me to add a line.

03-07-11 10:18 PM
    The data plan is classified as a "feature" on the general voice plan. It can be added or removed as needed (of course one is required if it's a smartphone). But like in my case the data plan was never even added to the line I added to get the iPhone, so there was never anything to prorate. The way they did it the iPhone was never even activated on the new line that I added to actually get the phone at a cheaper price. I believe that the new line does have an ETF of a smartphone, I'm not entirely sure though. Like I said before, we like Verizon so we have no desire to even care what the ETF on the line is.

03-07-11 10:37 PM
    That's good to know. I was always just under the (false) impression that the cost of the data subsidized the reduced cost of the phone. I guess I need to pay closer attention! Lol

03-07-11 10:45 PM
    I guess the carrier is really just wanting the extra $10 a month to cover the subsidized cost. I mean you are signing a contract for 2 years. So if you don't switch lines around like I will be doing towards the end of the year, then it will add $240 plus taxes and fees, that puts the phone a lot closer to that retail price. Most people don't think about adding a line just to get a phone either, so most smartphone users will be giving Verizon another $30 per month.

03-07-11 10:52 PM
    My husband did that a few years ago to get his iPhone. Then I used that extra line in November to get my 9800. Now MY line will be up for renewal in November so I could technically upgrade again. It's not a bad idea, but I'd eventually like to get rid of that extra $10 or $15 a month we pay for the 3rd line. But for right now we're Double Income No Kids so we can afford that extra $15 for our fun phones.
    03-08-11 06:35 AM
    Just going to wait until I have my actual upgrade.
    03-08-11 10:42 AM
    Sometimes even adding a line to get the upgrade price on the phone, switching it to an existing line, then paying the ETF on the new line can be cheaper than buying it full retail. Like I said before though, do the math before doing anything.

03-08-11 10:59 AM
    yeah true
    03-08-11 11:19 AM
    Its not always the best decision but sometimes the math works out. I would never pay full retail for a phone and usually don't get insurance. I don't mind an xtra 10 a month for a new phone. Those with insurance on verizon are paying 7 a month or 10 a month for insurance anyway, so I'd rather skip the insurance and add a line if I lose my phone.

03-08-11 11:22 AM
    waiiiit.. VZW insisted that the $30 data plan was required! grrrr

anyway... what good is it to have a smartphone without the data?
    03-08-11 12:37 PM
    Static, that is what I had encountered before. Although earlier in this thread someone else said that it was not always the case.

03-08-11 01:03 PM
    waiiiit.. VZW insisted that the $30 data plan was required! grrrr

anyway... what good is it to have a smartphone without the data?
    A data plan is required on every smartphone with Verizon, that's not changed in a very long time.

But, you can add a line to get a smartphone then transfer that smartphone to your existing number/line. A dumbphone can then be put on that brand new line. Like I said before, the data plan is a "feature" and isn't part of the two-year contract you signed. Verizon can't require you to have a $30 smartphone data plan when you're using a dumbphone that can only text and call.
    03-08-11 10:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD