1. mdbarhorst's Avatar
    My company does not have an Enterprise Server. We use the Blackberry Internet Service. Most of our users are Verizon. I have 3 users, including myself, who keep receiving this message "Action Required: update password!"

    I have went in and reset the password, it validates and says its a success. Within 20 minutes I receive the message that I need to update the password. The password is not the issue. I have called Blackberry and they believe the problem is with our Exchange Server. Has anyone had this problem before? I have deleted the email account and recreated it, deleted the service books, reset the password 20 times, and yet, it will not authenticate, therefore we cannot receive emails.

    The only thing that has changed on our exchange server is we went from Mcaffee 8.5 to 8.7.
    05-04-10 12:13 PM
  2. JRSCCivic98's Avatar
    If the new McAfee came with firewall capabilities, it's possible that it's blocking the needed OWA ports or simply blocking the BIS server polling process based on connection frequency. Check to see if OWA from a browser outside of your work network works. If not, this is why BIS cannot authenticate your accounts.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-04-10 11:48 PM
  3. roninksb's Avatar
    I and several people in my office are having a similar problem. OWA access was working fine until late Monday afternoon when a bunch of us got an e-mail telling us to validate the account password. I logged into my account and it won't except the password. I deleted the account and tried to set it up again, no luck. I am able to access the OWA website on any computer outside the office network including my BB. My IT guys are looking into it but so far nothing.

    Interestingly, this happened about the same time news started circulating that RIM had turned on 2-way sync with Google e-mail. Is that a coincidence or are the two related? When did you start experiencing your problems?
    05-05-10 10:58 AM
  4. mdbarhorst's Avatar
    Yeah, the number of people in our office is growing exponentially. I've placed probably 6 calls to Blackberry since Monday and talked to 6 different Techs. I have a ticket open. They requested our IIS logs, which we uploaded to them.

    They sent us a few knowledge base articles, however, we were already good on both fronts.

    We completedly disabled Mcafee on all of the Exchange servers, didn't make a difference.

    Right now I'm just waiting for a call back from an Analyst.
    05-06-10 12:53 PM
  5. mdbarhorst's Avatar
    Oh, to answer your question... I started receiving the "update password" error on Sunday.

    A few of my coworkers started having problems on Sunday, and every day since a few more people have a problem.
    05-06-10 12:55 PM
  6. mdbarhorst's Avatar
    I and several people in my office are having a similar problem. OWA access was working fine until late Monday afternoon when a bunch of us got an e-mail telling us to validate the account password. I logged into my account and it won't except the password. I deleted the account and tried to set it up again, no luck. I am able to access the OWA website on any computer outside the office network including my BB. My IT guys are looking into it but so far nothing.

    Interestingly, this happened about the same time news started circulating that RIM had turned on 2-way sync with Google e-mail. Is that a coincidence or are the two related? When did you start experiencing your problems?
    This suddenly resolved itself (after they had our IIS logs for 24 hours), around 4PM Pacific Time, Thursday. Did it start working for you and your users?
    05-06-10 06:09 PM
  7. roninksb's Avatar
    This suddenly resolved itself (after they had our IIS logs for 24 hours), around 4PM Pacific Time, Thursday. Did it start working for you and your users?
    Still no luck here. I'm glad things got resolved for you. I appreciate your posting updates, it gives me hope.
    05-06-10 10:36 PM
  8. JohnC's Avatar
    I lost my OWA access last Saturday night. On a few occasions, I was able to reset my account but like was posted earlier, within 30 minutes I get an e-mail indicating I need to reset my account again. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one.

    One of my IT folks tried to work with RIM to resolve the issue but has been unsuccessful. I hope it gets resolved soon. I'm sick of having to use my PC to access OWA from home.
    05-07-10 08:12 AM
  9. hytran's Avatar
    Just to preface, I'm a sysadmin and have been for over 20 years...

    This has certainly happened to us, but it has always been due to our Exchange server or PIX puking. When everything's back up, my network guy and I re-verify our passwords and everything works until the next time this equipment dies.

    Never have we ever thought of calling/blaming RIM.
    05-07-10 08:28 AM
  10. gkl's Avatar
    just to make sure, you are not updating the correct password if you are clicking on the "Password" link on the left hand side of the screen when you first log in. you have to click on the "Edit" button to the right of the name of the email account.

    i had a few users who were making this mistake. its an easy one to make.
    05-07-10 01:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD