If you wish your next phone to be a BlackBerry, like I would expect of the majority of folks on this forum, then the future looks very bleak.
    BB10 will still be around. It'll just be manufactured by Samsung, lol

And/or we'll have a BlackBerry Android device.
    04-24-15 09:03 AM
    "The analyst got it right..." Really? The analyst (Morgan Stanley) is the major pumper of Mobile Iron. I'd say this was a pre-emptive strike to soften the blow of Mobile Iron's disastrous earnings report of yesterday:
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/mobile...164.htmlMobile Irons basically dead, bleeding cash and now down to $150 million in reserves. Blackberry is moving ahead. Enterprise is noticing and will be moving to BE 12 in the coming future. There really aren't alternatives with stability.
    Once this occurs, phones will follow.
    I�m into smartphones, not BES 12, but how does Good Tech fit into the competitive picture? There was a user on the forum who was a federal IT buyer who said that Good was being awarded a lot of the MDM contracts.

But the idea that BB could make enough in that business to use it to finance the smartphone war is doubtful in my book. The best example is Microsoft. They have a huge war chest to spend on Windows Phone/Lumia, but they are down to about 2.8% market share and falling despite huge marketing and other spending to support their smartphones.
    04-24-15 09:10 AM

So what. Apple doesn't build their own phones, Foxconn builds them for them. Does it really matter who dose the manufacturing, as long as it is running BlackBerry software?

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 09:23 AM
    BlackBerry is in the software business now, simple, they have to keep hardware at this stage, or the company will plummet, it still represents a fair amount of their revenue, and dropping hardware will be detrimental to the company and shareholders.

They can't grow software quick enough, so they acquire businesses that complement the overall strategy of securing software.

They will output phones in the meantime, that are safe bets, with focus on enterprise. Some of which JC inherited. If you are looking to buy a BlackBerry with all bells and whistles, and full support on android, it ain't gonna happen, JC ain't taking that risk now, nor has the funds to fight that battle. The amazon deal was a band aid solution for app support and a distribution channel at the same time, that cost them nothing.

Long term view of hardware is simple, if they can make money on the safe bets, and grow software significantly, they may venture out again into mass consumer devices, with all specs, that's if the company has not been sold by then.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 09:45 AM
    Does it really matter who does the manufacturing, as long as it is running BlackBerry software?
    It wouldn't matter if it's not BlackBerry branded?
    04-24-15 10:44 AM
    BlackBerry is in the software business now, simple, they have to keep hardware at this stage, or the company will plummet, it still represents a fair amount of their revenue, and dropping hardware will be detrimental to the company and shareholders.
    They could offload the hardware division and some 2500-3000 employees that go with it. They'd become a much more focused company. The street would likely welcome such a move.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    04-24-15 10:46 AM
    It wouldn't matter if it's not BlackBerry branded?
    Why are you so despite to try kill the BlackBerry brand? Do you get a bonus if the BlackBerry brand dies? I've said it before if you don't like BlackBerry phones go find one that you would be happy with and go hang out in their forums. Your constant complaining is just plain annoying
    Chichen Man he's everywhere he's everywhere.
    Posted via CB10
    Attachment 349286
    04-24-15 11:06 AM

I'd rather Samsung build it because BlackBerry is fairly inept in the hardware department and Samsung has access to the latest and greatest because of their volumes.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    04-24-15 11:29 AM
    They could offload the hardware division and some 2500-3000 employees that go with it. They'd become a much more focused company. The street would likely welcome such a move.
    Possibly, but not at this stage, JC inherited a company with a reputation that it's going out of business, selling core business assets that represent upto 50% of revenues, may signal a much worse situation for the company and cause panic. Measures of this extremity where not required, they needed to cut the bleed, and sell off some non relevant assets to stabilize their cash situation.

Equally, if they were to find a buyer for the hardware, why would they want to buy it and at what price, the hardware has a declining trend, and software is a core component of the hardware. No one in their right mind would buy the hardware and license the software from BlackBerry, they would just be paying to inherit a problem.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 11:31 AM
    I'd rather Samsung build it because BlackBerry is fairly inept in the hardware department and Samsung has access to the latest and greatest because of their volumes.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    Yeah BlackBerry uses the same inept Manufacturer as Apple uses, Foxconn to make the Z3 and the Leap.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 11:34 AM
    Just asking a question which obviously you refuse to answer.
    Nobody said anything about it not being BlackBerry Branded. Except for you.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 12:08 PM
    I find this thread a bit silly. Using this article to justify the speculative argument that BlackBerry phones will disappear is silly. Many of the things said in this thread are silly. From both sides of the argument. Sorry guys, but chill out. There were some good points too. If BlackBerry doesn't come out with a phone you like don't buy it. Speak with your wallet. BlackBerry makes acquisitions to strengthen the platform. Sometime, actually many times, that means spending more than you'd make back just to be able to say you also offer what your competitors offer. In this case secure cloud storage. That can help stem customer losses but maybe not generate enough new revenue. Is that bad? Right now I would say it actually looks good for them, but we won't know if it will ever really pay off. BlackBerry is pushing to get a solid root in their core business offerings. Secure MDM solutions is that core. Not smart phones unfortunately for us consumers. If they can become a highly profitable leader In that sector then I would want them to continue offering BlackBerry phones with secure BlackBerry software as an end to end solution that Chen wants. As usual though they need to execute in a timely manner and stay on top of their team or that could end up a pipe dream too. BlackBerry is still in revision mode. We all knew from a year ago that the turn around would take years. I'm not as positive about it as Chen is, but I'm not looking to forego the things I love about my phone because I don't like certain acquisitions. At least Chen is positive.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 12:35 PM
    Yeah BlackBerry uses the same inept Manufacturer as Apple uses, Foxconn to make the Z3 and the Leap.

Posted via CB10
    The point that was lost on you is that Samsung uses better components and makes their own components in their devices, so using Samsung will give BlackBerry access to Exynos processors, better screens, better cameras, etc., and probably at a cheaper price point than the three year old components they buy now and have Foxconn throw together in the devices they made, or with Winstrom or whoever the Passport manufacturer is/was. Clearly the slider screen was sourced from them and hopefully the processor and camera on that device are too. Might keep BlackBerry from releasing three year old hardware at ridiculous price point.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    04-24-15 01:07 PM
    The passport is well made with up to date internals.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-24-15 01:32 PM
    Gump --- birdman makes a good point. The current management strategy of growing software business and possibly exiting hardware business makes a lot of sense. Blackberry is managing cash flow and just sustaining product on the hardware side while spending money on acquisitions on the software part of the business.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 02:56 PM
    Why are you so despite to try kill the BlackBerry brand? Do you get a bonus if the BlackBerry brand dies? I've said it before if you don't like BlackBerry phones go find one that you would be happy with and go hang out in their forums. Your constant complaining is just plain annoying
    Chichen Man he's everywhere he's everywhere.
    Posted via CB10
    Attachment 349286
    Without an opposing point of view you would all be sitting around the campfire eating smores and singing Kumbaya. I think you would get really bored.
    kbz1960 and MarsupilamiX like this.
    04-24-15 04:36 PM
    These are some of the smartest 'gimmicks' I've ever seen.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 05:17 PM
    Please note that Mobile Iron is now under investigation. The CFO has resigned. The stock is down 23%. Talk about twisted accounting. The law firm is stating that the company "misrepresented" itself to investors. A nice PC way to say "lied". At least Chen is realistic about the company he represents. Remember, "...50/50 chance of success." "...80/20 chance of success." I use a Z30 and love it. Would I like to see a new version of that phone?, absolutely. But, I need the company to exist to do that. I can wait.
    Good catch on the news cycle. There has always been something a bit screwy about Mobile Iron's CEO. Proclaiming 1000% increases in subscribers yet at the same time reporting ever increasing losses. Then, there was the ever delayed IPO, the puffy news items with no substance and the suspiciously timed release of analyst notes (from Morgan Stanley no less) always making grandiose claims of how things are bad and not improving for Blackberry. They even found a way to make the Watchbox acquisition, which is an obvious "no brainer", sound ominous.

So now the shoe is on the other foot. We now know that Mobile Iron is not only lying but in desperate financial shape. And apparently Morgan Stanley knew nothing about it, despite being in bed with them. OK sure, whatever they say. The noose is tightening around Morgan Stanley's tech analysts. Who wants to bet good old leaky Jim Faucette has a hand in this. Fits with his MO.
    04-27-15 11:15 AM

They can't grow software quick enough, so they acquire businesses that complement the overall strategy of securing software.

They will output phones in the meantime, that are safe bets, with focus on enterprise. Some of which JC inherited. If you are looking to buy a BlackBerry with all bells and whistles, and full support on android, it ain't gonna happen, JC ain't taking that risk now, nor has the funds to fight that battle. The amazon deal was a band aid solution for app support and a distribution channel at the same time, that cost them nothing.

Long term view of hardware is simple, if they can make money on the safe bets, and grow software significantly, they may venture out again into mass consumer devices, with all specs, that's if the company has not been sold by then.

Posted via CB10
    Watchbox revenue is small and at this point a bit immaterial. They are buying "potential' and doing so at a relatively cheap price as the earnings have yet to fully materialize. This acquisition is a "no brainer' and nice complements their BES12 offerings. It is also consistent with what Chen has said Over and Over and Over and Over and Over and Over again to the public.
    04-27-15 11:26 AM
    Sadly... this week we can see the best evidence yet of where Chen is leading the company. And it is NOT in the direction that most on these forums will care about.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/cautio...124132249.html

The next few quarters may just show the revenue numbers Chen has been predicting... due to acquisitions (gimmicks) rather than any real BlackBerry growth.

Good luck to ya BlackBerry... as a software company. And kuddos to ya Chen, for all the gimmicks (cost cutting, dumping on BB10, acquisitions, twisted accounting... etc.) you used to save the shareholders.

More than at any time in the past dozen years, I now realize my next phone will most likely NOT be a BlackBerry.
    I be more concerned with following yahoo for news, that company is almost dead!

Believe something more reputable.
    04-27-15 11:39 AM
120 ... 345