Look at OP last few post history, he doesn't like BlackBerry, all OP does is complain about BlackBerry. It's ok! Go buy a phone you like! BlackBerry isn't for everyone

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 05:22 PM
    Look at OP last few post history, he doesn't like BlackBerry, all OP does is complain about BlackBerry. It's ok! Go buy a phone you like! BlackBerry isn't for everyone

Posted via CB10
    This post is the most wrong of the entire thread.

The OP has used nothing but BlackBerry phones for over a dozen years. Currently using 2 Z10s, 2 Z30s and a Passport in my immediate family.

The OP desperately wants his next phone to be BlackBerry too... but the reality is that BlackBerry doesn't really care about that.

Posted via CB10
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    04-23-15 05:32 PM
    This post is the most wrong of the entire thread.

The OP has used nothing but BlackBerry phones for over a dozen years. Currently using 2 Z10s, 2 Z30s and a Passport in my immediate family.

The OP desperately wants his next phone to be BlackBerry too... but the reality is that BlackBerry doesn't really care about that.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah. I'm starting to notice a trend. The biggest BlackBerry defenders and apologists on here seem to carry a BlackBerry and an iPhone or high end Android with them. They come down on any of the BlackBerry only owners who complain and want their single phone solution to be improved by BlackBerry. The true BlackBerry fans need a single phone to cover their needs in a day are told everything at BlackBerry is fine and if we don't like what BlackBerry is doing we should just leave. Meanwhile they are straddling the fence using two phones and telling everyone else BlackBerry can do everything.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 05:59 PM
    Yeah. I'm starting to notice a trend. The biggest BlackBerry defenders and apologists on here seem to carry a BlackBerry and an iPhone or high end Android with them. They come down on any of the BlackBerry only owners who complain and want their single phone solution to be improved by BlackBerry. The true BlackBerry fans need a single phone to cover their needs in a day are told everything at BlackBerry is fine and if we don't like what BlackBerry is doing we should just leave. Meanwhile they are straddling the fence using two phones and telling everyone else BlackBerry can do everything.

Posted via CB10
    THANK YOU!!!

You're better spoken than I...

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 06:21 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yeah all you guys making thousands of negative posts are really just BlackBerry fans and you're only trying to help out BlackBerry. Give me a break.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 06:25 PM
    Yeah all you guys making thousands of negative posts are really just BlackBerry fans and you're only trying to help out BlackBerry. Give me a break.

Posted via CB10
    THANK YOU!!!

You're better spoken than I...

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 06:29 PM

Posted via CB10
    If you're directing this at me, I've owned all BlackBerry phones since the curve days. I tired the S3 for a couple of months and hated it
    I'm a huge BlackBerry guy, love bb10 and will keep buying it. I've had the Z10, Z30, Q10 and now the passport
    Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 06:30 PM
    I didn't think there was a policy against the quantity of technically critical posts.

I thought there was a policy against personal attacks.

Maybe I was mistaken?

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    04-23-15 06:36 PM
    I didn't think there was a policy against the quantity of technically critical posts.

I thought there was a policy against personal attacks.

Maybe I was mistaken?

Posted via CB10
    You are, now please stay on topic

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 06:37 PM
    If you're directing this at me, I've owned all BlackBerry phones since the curve days. I tired the S3 for a couple of months and hated it
    I'm a huge BlackBerry guy, love bb10 and will keep buying it. I've had the Z10, Z30, Q10 and now the passport
    Posted via CB10
    Not directed at anyone in particular, but I have seen some of the biggest defenders here crow in other threads that they have phone X for apps or pictures etc., then see some hammering down on people in threads when those people who only carry BlackBerry want BlackBerry to fix issues and/or give them an upgrade path in the all touch form factor.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-23-15 06:41 PM
    Not directed at anyone in particular, but I have seen some of the biggest defenders here crow in other threads that they have phone X for apps or pictures etc., then see some hammering down on people in threads when those people who only carry BlackBerry want BlackBerry to fix issues and/or give them an upgrade path in the all touch form factor.

Posted via CB10
    The funny thing is I have noticed something quite different. I quite often see people here bashing BlackBerry wile posting from an Android or iPhone, they claim to have multiple phones including a BlackBerry or two, or they used to have a BlackBerry but have moved on to another Phone, yet they still spend all this time hear. Wouldn't you think it would be a whole lot easier to go with the phone that best suits you. If it turns out that that phone is a BlackBerry then great, if BlackBerry isn't for you well then see you later.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 07:11 PM
    Uhm, I�ve just read through this entire thread because I didn�t want to repeat something that someone else said. How many of you guys actually read the article?

The idea as I understood it, is that the proposed acquisition is unlikely to be accomplished at a price cheap enough to actually help BlackBerry in the long run, hence it�s argued to be "dilutive." And if BlackBerry's software revenue is hurting, which is what allegedly triggered this move, then that strongly suggests that BES 12 numbers are hurting, too.

Most other BlackBerry news isn�t positive either. Most of us suspect that BlackBerry's hardware sales are low, so that's not much help. And finally, reading the thread on BBM Protected, with even the most ardent fans of BlackBerry universally stating that the software is crap, makes me wonder for the future of BBM, too. QNX, so far as I can tell, is the only pillar that I haven�t seen terrible news about. Combining this with continued reports of layoffs leaves me with one question: Are we certain that BlackBerry won�t completely fold?

I agree with those who wonder how the cash drain associated with the acquisition will impact the timing or quality of the Slider. With predictably few Sliders to be sold, how could there be profit on tying up so much money in a hopefully high-spec device that has such unique manufacturing demands?
    04-23-15 07:11 PM
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This

Wow, a thoughtful and informed post.

Thank you!

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 07:47 PM
    The funny thing is I have noticed something quite different. I quite often see people here bashing BlackBerry wile posting from an Android or iPhone, they claim to have multiple phones including a BlackBerry or two, or they used to have a BlackBerry but have moved on to another Phone, yet they still spend all this time hear. Wouldn't you think it would be a whole lot easier to go with the phone that best suits you. If it turns out that that phone is a BlackBerry then great, if BlackBerry isn't for you well then see you later.

Posted via CB10
    If the phone didn't suit the people complaining that are posting from BlackBerry devices, then they would have left. I like the OS, the hub, and can deal with the apps via the work arounds. That said, BlackBerry converted me from a ardent PKB person to all touch. They did this slowly with the 9900 where I eventually wasn't using the TouchPad and was using the touchscreen for all my navigation, and then with the Z10 and now Z30 have made PKB devices completely not attractive to me. If you had told all those Z owners that their wouldn't be an all touch upgrade to the Z line in the next two years plus then people wouldn't have invested time or money in the platform. Why BlackBerry can't make a low production good all touch upgrade, that will sell better than the pathetic sales of the Passport for sure, is just the biggest bone head decision ever. They seem to think that the two phone solution is what people should use. Wasn't the key selling point of Bb10 the single device to handle work and personal?

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and MarsupilamiX like this.
    04-23-15 07:49 PM
    ...unique manufacturing demands?
    What are the unique manufacturing demands?
    04-23-15 07:53 PM
    ^^^^^^^^ this from Inichols explains my situation almost exactly.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by crackberry_geek; 04-23-15 at 08:07 PM.
    04-23-15 07:53 PM
    Uhm, I�ve just read through this entire thread because I didn�t want to repeat something that someone else said. How many of you guys actually read the article?

The idea as I understood it, is that the proposed acquisition is unlikely to be accomplished at a price cheap enough to actually help BlackBerry in the long run, hence it�s argued to be "dilutive." And if BlackBerry's software revenue is hurting, which is what allegedly triggered this move, then that strongly suggests that BES 12 numbers are hurting, too.

Most other BlackBerry news isn�t positive either. Most of us suspect that BlackBerry's hardware sales are low, so that's not much help. And finally, reading the thread on BBM Protected, with even the most ardent fans of BlackBerry universally stating that the software is crap, makes me wonder for the future of BBM, too. QNX, so far as I can tell, is the only pillar that I haven�t seen terrible news about. Combining this with continued reports of layoffs leaves me with one question: Are we certain that BlackBerry won�t completely fold?

I agree with those who wonder how the cash drain associated with the acquisition will impact the timing or quality of the Slider. With predictably few Sliders to be sold, how could there be profit on tying up so much money in a hopefully high-spec device that has such unique manufacturing demands?
    Frankly, lots aimless thoughts in no defined direction. Has it ever occurred to you that one buys things when you have a bit of cash on hand. That is Chen's MO. It isn't rocket science. Time to pay attention.

Posted via CB10
    habs_fan likes this.
    04-23-15 08:23 PM
    What are the unique manufacturing demands?
    Should the Slider launch, it would be the most unique form factor of a smartphone in the entire mobile handset market! A portrait keyboard slider with curved display to boot? That sounds like a tall manufacturing order to me!

And don�t forget that this is BlackBerry we�re talking about, so people who are aware of the brand still remember the manufacturing problems of the recent past. Things like the Passport's lifting screen issue and light bleeding issue and keyboard problems (of both the Passport and the Q10) do not exactly inspire confidence in BlackBerry's ability to make a genuinely excellent build-quality device. And by that I mean a device that earns a 99% customer satisfaction rating like the iPhone 6 and 6+ have. Does BlackBerry have skills like that? Well, this latest BlackBerry idea seems even more difficult to get right than the others, so if they hit it out of the park and do excellent work, BlackBerry will have proven a lot.

The whole idea seems absurdly risky to me. Carriers hate returns, and I bet the Slider would make the most daring carrier mess its pants. So many things could go wrong with that sliding keyboard. Moreover, the keyboard form factor audience is tiny, and BB10 is stagnant in terms of native development. I�d love to see the Slider out of novelty, but I have a hard time believing it will come to market.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    04-23-15 08:29 PM
    Sadly... this week we can see the best evidence yet of where Chen is leading the company. And it is NOT in the direction that most on these forums will care about.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/cautio...124132249.html

The next few quarters may just show the revenue numbers Chen has been predicting... due to acquisitions (gimmicks) rather than any real BlackBerry growth.

Good luck to ya BlackBerry... as a software company. And kuddos to ya Chen, for all the gimmicks (cost cutting, dumping on BB10, acquisitions, twisted accounting... etc.) you used to save the shareholders.

More than at any time in the past dozen years, I now realize my next phone will most likely NOT be a BlackBerry.
    "acquiring revenue to make software revenue targets." This analyst nailed it.-triple_facepalm.png

I guess in your opinion, blackberry should be bleeding cash, slowly sinking into 0$....

What Chen made is quite impressive, he not only made the company profitable again (essential to survive), but he made it while making smart acquisitions to the target this new blackberry as been aiming to (Enterprise)
    habs_fan likes this.
    04-23-15 08:51 PM
    As long as they support hardware, then I will continue to use them. If my Z30 breaks, I'll buy another one. If that breaks then I'll buy another one even if it's used. I'll only change OS when BlackBerry themselves stop supporting BB10. My phone does me fine right now, if tomorrow things change, I'll deal with it at that given time.

Awaiting the next flagship full touch.
    Agreed

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 09:07 PM

It's not surprising that you would support that FUD dribble. I prefer Seeking Alfa's take
    BlackBerry is reportedly acquiring WatchDox, an enterprise that allows users to secure data in the cloud or on-premise.
    Gartner expects data stored in the cloud to grow exponentially. Providers of cloud security also could profit from that growth.
    IBM is a leader in cloud data storage and also provides security for the cloud.
    WatchDox could strengthen BlackBerry's EMM offerings and allow the company to go head-to-head with IBM in cloud security.
    BlackBerry (NASDAQ:BBRY) is reportedly acquiring WatchDox, a provider of enterprise file-sharing solutions that allow users to protect, share and edit files on any device. The platform allows end users to control files once shared by deleting or revoking access to them, and secure them in the cloud or on-site. According to BlackBerry CEO John Chen,

This acquisition represents another key step forward as we transition BlackBerry into the premier platform for secure mobile communications software and applications, supporting all devices and operating systems. Together with last year's Secusmart acquisition, Samsung partnership, our own internal development efforts, and now the acquisition of WatchDox, we now have capabilities to secure communications end-to-end from voice, text, messaging, data and now enterprise file-sync-and share.

The company will use WatchDox as a value-added service complementing its BES12 enterprise mobility management ("EMM") offering. The explosive growth of mobile devices has created a need for cloud computing - a network of remote servers hosted on the Internet. These computer networks also can store, manage and process data that's accessible online. That said, the more data that gets stored in the cloud, the more opportunities there are for data to get leaked. There's also a growing need for solutions to protect that data. Well-known data breaches such as WikiLeaks have made it paramount for organizations to protect data share inside and outside an organization.

Is IBM In BlackBerry's Cross Hairs?

A natural reaction would be to think BlackBerry is attempting to compete with Box (NYSE:BOX); Box also provides a cloud-based platform that allows users to share and protect data from any device. However, I believe BlackBerry has set its sights much higher - IBM (NYSE:IBM). IBM entered the cloud storage space in 2013 through the acquisition of Softlayer Technologies. IBM currently ranks among the top providers of cloud services behind Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN) and Microsoft (NASDAQ:MSFT).

The market for cloud storage is expected to grow exponentially. According to Gartner, "worldwide consumer digital storage needs will grow from 329 exabytes in 2011 to 4.1 zettabytes in 2016." That said, IBM's biggest advantage may be in providing security for the cloud. According to IBM, its cloud security also protects workloads whether in the cloud or on premise - its cloud security features may have previously given its enterprise mobility management ("EMM") platform - MobileFirst - a perceived advantage vis-a-vis BES12. That may now change with a BlackBerry WatchDox deal.

Conclusion
    The WatchDox deal may remove any perceived weaknesses in the BlackBerry EMM platform and allow the company to threaten IBM in cloud security. This is another savvy acquisition that fits with BlackBerry's push to remain best-in-class in security. I am long BBRY.

Additional disclosure: I am also short IBM

39,303 people get BBRY breaking news and analysis by email alert.
    Get email alerts on BBRY �
    Share this article with a colleague 0
    inShare

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 12:04 AM
    See WSJ front page today about Box.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 07:20 AM
    "The analyst got it right..." Really? The analyst (Morgan Stanley) is the major pumper of Mobile Iron. I'd say this was a pre-emptive strike to soften the blow of Mobile Iron's disastrous earnings report of yesterday:
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/mobile...164.htmlMobile Irons basically dead, bleeding cash and now down to $150 million in reserves. Blackberry is moving ahead. Enterprise is noticing and will be moving to BE 12 in the coming future. There really aren't alternatives with stability.
    Once this occurs, phones will follow.
    habs_fan likes this.
    04-24-15 07:53 AM
    If a company takes $X and puts it into R&D and makes $Y that is fine.

BUT

If a company takes $X and puts it into an acquisition and makes $Y that is wrong?

Sorry but as an investor I don't care either way. Oh, acquisitions is also the Berkshire Hathaway model so ....... what was the point again?
    04-24-15 08:47 AM
    The point again... if anyone had cared to pay attention... is that BlackBerry of the future might make money but they will not make hand sets.

If you're an investor, that might be good for you.

If you wish your next phone to be a BlackBerry, like I would expect of the majority of folks on this forum, then the future looks very bleak.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 08:51 AM
120 ... 2345