To some people, there are more importnat features than streaming media and social networking. Just because they're important to some people, does not mean they are important to all.
    A feature doesn't have to be important to everyone. However, if you bought a high-end flagship it probably means you aren't expecting that something that you want, that most other people use on their ordinary smartphones, is missing. If only 10% want to use Snapchat, 10% Netflix, 10% home automation, 10% wearable integration, 10% NFC payments, 10% require in-store demos then pretty soon you have fully satisfied no one with your high-end flagship smartphone.
    04-22-15 11:44 AM
    BlackBerry 's hardware is a gateway.

Posted via CB10[/QUOTE]

Very true
    04-22-15 11:53 AM
    It was clearly stated that they would achieve growth through both organic growth, and through acquisition. Not sure why,or how, this can spun negatively.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-15 11:53 AM
    Since Chen took over, Blackberry is software. Devices are some things that a mobile phone company has to show for, in BB's case to keep up with appearances. Devices which doesn't have to sell and no one needs to buy.
    04-22-15 12:01 PM
    Don't you think you're being just... idk... say a tad bit extreme?

Management goes and makes various acquisitions that DIRECTLY MATCH the new corporate strategy and redefined competitive advantage of BBRY - being security, productivity, enterprise, etc - and the first and only thing you can conclude is that is a pure gimmic to buy software revenues...

I agree to an extent that Chen have carefully - almost artificially - configured their costs and cash flows to just break-even, come true on their goals, and inflate the stock price, however what's more important here is that most of his moves have a REAL value-added factor that should contribute to Blackberrys long-term success, even if that means the downsizing and consideration of dropping the handsets unit.

The fact of the matter is BBRY is in a dark place as it sheds a ton of service (bbos) and possibly even more device revenue. It will take time before we can judge the success of software revenue initiatives. This analyst has a point, but we can't call the kettle black just yet within 1 year of management's new revenue generating initiatives.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-15 12:06 PM
    It make sense the Blackberry is doing this because they currently have enough cash to satisfy investors but not enough revenue. So, you use some of the cash to buy revenue. There is some risk, though. HP bought Autonomy to get into software and found quite a bit of fraud and ended up suing the former owners.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    04-22-15 12:11 PM
    software is part of the end to end security and strategy of the company....that means it starts with the handset....has a bunch of software (mostly geared towards enterprise) and the most secure network available...yes you can use android or ios handsets, but the features will only be layered not built in like bb10 devices...this may be ok for non critical requirements, but not for the market they are focused on....why does Microsoft make hardware available ...to sell software..anybody who thinks that Chen is leading the company astray is confused...he has said from day one...enterprise is the target not the average consumer who wants to just play games, watch videos and send selfies...trying to compete with apple and Samsung in that area is suicide ......it you are in that category time for you to move to the companies that are focused on the average consumer...blackberry is not for you...I have a passport ...best phone hands down....I don't play games on it...I have more important things to do with my device....
    04-22-15 12:20 PM
    This Morgan Stanly at BlackBerry again like the bad shadow. Last month it put out negative spin on BlackBerry sold 5000 devices and now a month later put out another negative spin. This guy doesn't want to give up! He never showed up at the earning conference call last month. Chen makes him eat his own **** and he is pissed. I'm sure his brokerage must have ton of BlackBerry stock short. This guy is crazy and his brokerage must be investigated!
    Just ignore them. The funny thing is that you can't find the name of the analyst from the news clipping. Who wants to bet that leaky Jim Faucette has something to do with this? If you don't know the history, this guy suspiciously timed his analyst notes with those of Detwhiler Fulton (?). The latter had employees make illegal payments to telecom employee to access proprietary Blackberry numbers. Legal proceedings are moving forward at the moment and Detwhiler is seeking some sort of settlement. I'm sure that good old Jimmy has gotten a phone call or two from the SEC in regards to his seemingly time actions. Maybe its orange jump suit time for all and some involuntary holiday time at club fed.
    thymaster and LoneStarRed like this.
    04-22-15 12:26 PM
    software is part of the end to end security and strategy of the company....that means it starts with the handset....has a bunch of software (mostly geared towards enterprise) and the most secure network available...yes you can use android or ios handsets, but the features will only be layered not built in like bb10 devices...this may be ok for non critical requirements, but not for the market they are focused on....why does Microsoft make hardware available ...to sell software..anybody who thinks that Chen is leading the company astray is confused...he has said from day one...enterprise is the target not the average consumer who wants to just play games, watch videos and send selfies...trying to compete with apple and Samsung in that area is suicide ......it you are in that category time for you to move to the companies that are focused on the average consumer...blackberry is not for you...I have a passport ...best phone hands down....I don't play games on it...I have more important things to do with my device....
    Thank you for a rational well thought out argument.
    04-22-15 12:29 PM
    They acquired this company because blackberry and watchdox are both better off together. Synergy, look it up. You are being wayy to negative here...
    04-22-15 12:38 PM
    They acquired this company because blackberry and watchdox are both better off together. Synergy, look it up
    Don't have to look it up. This has been claimed by every company that ever bought or merged with another company.
    Bishkin and sentimentGX4 like this.
    04-22-15 12:50 PM
    They have to buy software companies to become a software company because let's face it, they have been pretty bad at software in the past so getting some expertise in the area will help them greatly.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-15 01:29 PM
    They have to buy software companies to become a software company because let's face it, they have been pretty bad at software in the past so getting some expertise in the area will help them greatly.

Posted via CB10
    So then by your definition, Apple must suck big time with all its acquisition. Sarcasm aside, one doesn't have to think too hard to see that this is a value added proposition. Blackberry is creating a one stop shop for secure mobile communications and document management. Blackberry is making BES12 more than a run of the mill EMM solution as is the case with Mobile Iron and Good Technologies.
    allsportsfan likes this.
    04-22-15 01:59 PM

The next few quarters may just show the revenue numbers Chen has been predicting... due to acquisitions (gimmicks) rather than any real BlackBerry growth.

Good luck to ya BlackBerry... as a software company. And kuddos to ya Chen, for all the gimmicks (cost cutting, dumping on BB10, acquisitions, twisted accounting... etc.) you used to save the shareholders.

More than at any time in the past dozen years, I now realize my next phone will most likely NOT be a BlackBerry.
    So the silliness behind the strategic approach of mergers and acquisitions must be a real foreign concept to you, I see.

And the gimmicks you describe...yes, all silly decisions to artificially inflate stock prices.

In your world then, there isn't a single global organization that hasn't gone thru the M&A route in order to bolster their asset base?

Wow.

I haven't checked the validity of these from Wiki yet, but then again, I'm not the one arguing against M&A activity.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...tions_by_Apple
    THBW and undone like this.
    04-22-15 02:12 PM
    All the anal****s in the world are worth nothing,when Kevin jumped ship ,that says all that has to be said.
    AcADIeN and eyesopen1111 like this.
    04-22-15 02:22 PM
    So then by your definition, Apple must suck big time with all its acquisition. Sarcasm aside, one doesn't have to think too hard to see that this is a value added proposition. Blackberry is creating a one stop shop for secure mobile communications and document management. Blackberry is making BES12 more than a run of the mill EMM solution as is the case with Mobile Iron and Good Technologies.
    TAT and the cloud storage company and the score loop purchases were supposed to be value ad too, but BlackBerry do their typical thing with them. TAT did some good, but never reached the potential expected. The point of the article is BlackBerry is buying revenue instead of generating it internally, and cautioning people that quick growth does not mean a turnaround.

We'll see if this turns out well, but I could personally care less about any of the recent purchases. I just want a decent phone to buy. If they can't make that then the company is useless to me.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-15 02:40 PM
    TAT and the cloud storage company and the score loop purchases were supposed to be value ad too, but BlackBerry do their typical thing with them. TAT did some good, but never reached the potential expected. The point of the article is BlackBerry is buying revenue instead of generating it internally, and cautioning people that quick growth does not mean a turnaround.

We'll see if this turns out well, but I could personally care less about any of the recent purchases. I just want a decent phone to buy. If they can't make that then the company is useless to me.

Posted via CB10
    You're right if you don't like the direction that Blackerry is taking you won't buy their phones in the future. Have you used the other phones available though, you might not like them either then what do you do?

Chen as per the earnings call said that Blackberry would be interested in growing revenue both organically and inorganically (meaning acquisitions) He has been consistent in saying that the way to making Blackberry grow again is through their strength in security and software. Tat was bought buy the previous leadership and sold by the previous leadership group so I don't think that you can say that Chen's group didn't get the value out of the acquisition it was the previous management team who had that reputation.
    04-22-15 03:08 PM
    This. I'm sure we're all wishing BlackBerry well in their endeavors and hope that acquisitions, software, etc will make them heaps of money...but we're wishing that in hopes they'll continue to develop mobile devices and not just software that we won't be able to use unless we're on enterprise. If BlackBerry ceases to make phones, I won't really have any reason to follow them anymore because I don't have any use for their enterprise offerings.
    04-22-15 03:12 PM
    Guess there are two ways to look at this... The revenue point of view is quite valid. And if that is all Chen is trying to do then consider the company sold. Alternatively Chen could be building a foundation to grow from. If BB had not acquired some of the mentioned companies. What exactly would they have to offer... MDM... crowded market ... many look at Mobile Iron and Good as competition but in reality it is IBM and Microsoft who both have MDM solutions along with a robust array of services. If Chen is smart, this is what he is doing. If he is not... it is simple Blackberry being RIM... More proof people really have to stop looking at BB from a consumer perspective. Those who do will be sadly disappointed....
    04-22-15 04:31 PM

Posted via CB10
    I think you have simply missed the point. This company currently generates very limited revenue. What it does have is a small base of high value corporate/government customers. These are Blackberry's target customers and if they can roll this service into their BES12 solution, then their overall offerings just get stronger and their competitors weaker. In it's current state, this company isn't close to a revenue cash cow. It does have potential if properly developed and managed.
    04-22-15 04:48 PM
    How are acquisitions 'gimmicks', especially if they grow revenue? Has anyone emailed Apple or Google about this disturbing information, lol.

List of mergers and acquisitions by Google - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of mergers and acquisitions by Apple - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    04-22-15 04:57 PM
    This. I'm sure we're all wishing BlackBerry well in their endeavors and hope that acquisitions, software, etc will make them heaps of money...but we're wishing that in hopes they'll continue to develop mobile devices and not just software that we won't be able to use unless we're on enterprise. If BlackBerry ceases to make phones, I won't really have any reason to follow them anymore because I don't have any use for their enterprise offerings.
    Exactly, thanks. Right now handset sales are bad, but if BlackBerry can make up for it in software growth and sales then they'll stay in the mobile hardware market and could potentially grow it in a few years. More platforms available to us a consumers means more competition and pushes all of the companies to continue to add value to their products. We all rise with the bathwater.

So if BlackBerry wants to make boring IOT devices with encryption, or purchase a company that securely wraps documents, or license certicom certificates, etc and that keeps their handset division alive, I'm totally excited, heh.
    04-22-15 05:02 PM
    I want to know where this source is coming from? Who wrote this because for the past few years Yahoo have been posting these BlackBerry trash talk articles that have no truth and Blackberry have proven to be the opposite of what these articles have written about them.

Another reason why Yahoo continues to lose credibility and seems desperate by posting low grade shock value article to keep the company surviving. Sigh.

Just ignore them. The funny thing is that you can't find the name of the analyst from the news clipping. Who wants to bet that leaky Jim Faucette has something to do with this? If you don't know the history, this guy suspiciously timed his analyst notes with those of Detwhiler Fulton (?). The latter had employees make illegal payments to telecom employee to access proprietary Blackberry numbers. Legal proceedings are moving forward at the moment and Detwhiler is seeking some sort of settlement. I'm sure that good old Jimmy has gotten a phone call or two from the SEC in regards to his seemingly time actions. Maybe its orange jump suit time for all and some involuntary holiday time at club fed.
    04-22-15 05:14 PM
    I don't see how BlackBerry acquiring this company would adversely impact your decision to buy another BlackBerry phone.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-15 05:15 PM
  25. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Sadly... this week we can see the best evidence yet of where Chen is leading the company. And it is NOT in the direction that most on these forums will care about.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/cautio...124132249.html

The next few quarters may just show the revenue numbers Chen has been predicting... due to acquisitions (gimmicks) rather than any real BlackBerry growth.

Good luck to ya BlackBerry... as a software company. And kuddos to ya Chen, for all the gimmicks (cost cutting, dumping on BB10, acquisitions, twisted accounting... etc.) you used to save the shareholders.

More than at any time in the past dozen years, I now realize my next phone will most likely NOT be a BlackBerry.
    Do you understand anything about business and tech??? Lol
    Thought so....

Posted via CB10
    thymaster likes this.
    04-22-15 05:18 PM
120 1234 ...